Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Is the 3ds a good purchase?

Avatar image for thomasverledens
    thomasverledens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, i've been playing on my ds lite for 7 years now and i decided to buy a 3d handheld.

The OG 3ds seems perfect for me because i really like the looks of it and i dont really need the bigger screens of the XL, but there a 2 problem i've heard;

- I'm not interested in the 3D so i'll mostly turn it off, but some people say that the switch sometime automatically turns the 3D on, is that true?

-I've heard that when you play old ds games on the 3ds, it looks rly bad in comparison to the XL, is that also true?

pls answer :)

thanks

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

A: Yes.

- No.

- I got an original one and, in hindsight, I would have rather gone for the longer battery life. The image quality on the XL is perfectly fine - it looks somewhat "magnified", but only if you pay close attention to it. If you have a local retailer with an XL on display you can check for yourself. All told, when it comes to a device you want to have streetpassing on your backpack all day, battery life really matters.

DiamondDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasverledens: The 3D is set by a physical slider, it never comes on automatically. The 3DS is a great system, and I'd definitely recommend it, but for the love of god, get an XL. The original is the most uncomfortable system I've ever had the misfortune of holding, and the battery life is atrocious. Not to mention the fact that the top screen gets scratched every time you close it.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never heard of the 3D automatically switching on. I usually leave it off myself unless I think something would look neat in 3D.

I've played a lot of DS games on both the original and XL and the difference seems negligible. The XL is better than the original in nearly every way, to be honest. If you're that concerned about DS games looking bad on the 3DS, then just play them on your DS Lite. They look the best there anyway.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasverledens: The 3D is set by a physical slider, it never comes on automatically. The 3DS is a great system, and I'd definitely recommend it, but for the love of god, get an XL. The original is the most uncomfortable system I've ever had the misfortune of holding, and the battery life is atrocious. Not to mention the fact that the top screen gets scratched every time you close it.

Yeah this. Get the XL. Even with the larger size, you can still fit it in your pocket no problem. If you travel a lot on foot, taking the bus/train and what not you'll definitely appreciate the longer battery life.

Avatar image for thomasverledens
    thomasverledens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, if the 3ds really has such a low battery life as you guys say, i'll probably go for an XL.

thx for answering

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Niceanims

Don't buy the OG 3DS if you have big hands.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thrillhouse87

I did not regret my purchase of the XL. Its a great system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The 3D slider is a little loose, at least on mine. Meaning sometimes in transit, the 3D will bump on, and can just be weird for a second when you flip it open, not expecting 3D. That's minor, though

I don't know about the DS game comparison, but Picross 3D looked fine for me, as did all the DS eShop stuff.

But, I noticed you posted about battery life, and if that's an issue, go for the XL if it's better there. I use my 3DS at home, and still bump into issues where it's dying or dead.

Also, I love the system, but man it can be uncomfortable to hold. @itwongo's got it right.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I say if you like JRPGs, I'd say most definitely yes. Plus all the crazy Nintendo games like Tomodachi Life and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball make it worth owning.

Real talk though, it's the handheld with the best game selection on the market right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.