Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Is the 3DS hype getting you excited for the PSP2?

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thehexeditor

I find myself getting more curious at what Sony has to offer after absorbing today's 3DS news-bomb. Anyone else feel the same?

Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Minus

no

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Minus:  I knew I was alone in this! T_T
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Don't care, haven't touched a portable game since Peace Walker.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

I hope it'll be as big as the Atari Lynx. 

No Caption Provided
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thehexeditor
    @KaosAngel:  Funny you mention Peace Walker; that game reignited my passion for portable gaming so to speak o_o

After seeing the MGS3D trailer I really wonder what Sony's got up its sleeve in terms of third party support.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarace360

no.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By blair

Never.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
    @thehexeditor: I think Peace Walker is Kojima's weakest game...more so than Portable Ops.  >.> 

So damn disappointed with PW...and the plot was just a huge cluster fuck.
    Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Blind_Evil

I'm thinking if Nintendo is gonna release at $250 or $300, Sony'll make the dumbass move and come out at $400.   

They keep iterating on the PSP and each time get it more wrong.  I'd need to see some really serious improvements and a reasonable price before I can muster any interest in Sony's new handheld.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By RobotHamster

Yes actually, and if it's under $200-250 then thats probably the way I'll go.   

I like a lot of the games the 3ds is showing but I won't even think about getting it until it's at least dropped to 200.  I can't afford this shit.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Blind_Evil:  Fair enough. Your answer satisfies my GB-community inquiry more so than the single answer "no" and "never".

I agree that the price and the existence of a major improvement that comes out of left field (doesn't necessarily have to and shouldn't be 3D) alongside other obvious fixes in design will make or break it.. Graphical power ain't everything as the Wii plainly proved, but if Sony can improve around and not within the fact that their new system will potentially be a graphical powerhouse, they will have a contender in their hands.

@KaosAngel: I loved Peace Walker- I thought it was designed pretty well and strangely enough I savored the wackiness of the story because of the fact I was playing it on a portable and not in the living room.

The Netherrealm Studios guy who spilled the beans on the system mentioned something about the importance of 60 FPS. Having played many-a graphically 'advanced' PSP game as of late, I found myself yearning for the smoothness that such a frame rate offers. Here's hoping that developers don't try to push graphical power over a good frame rate for the PSP2?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

I think Sony's best bet is to undercut the 3DS's price.  They certainly don't want to make a more expensive handheld...

Not at all interested myself though.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel

Let's be honest here, most the games coming out are ports or remakes for the 3DS, it's not worth it. 

I wear glasses so 3d will always look like crap for me.  With that $250 I could go over to Holland and party it out.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Diamond said:
    " I think Sony's best bet is to undercut the 3DS's price.  They certainly don't want to make a more expensive handheld...  Not at all interested myself though. "
    PSP2, let's you play Blu-Ray movies via Mini-Blu-Ray Discs...and still only has one analog nub.  Five Hundred and Ninety Nine Dollars.  You will buy day one.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria

If it has a second analog stick... Then I'll be excited.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy
    @Diamond said:
    " I think Sony's best bet is to undercut the 3DS's price.  They certainly don't want to make a more expensive handheld... "
    How can they do that without making the system only marginally better than the PSP?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy said:
    " How can they do that without making the system only marginally better than the PSP? "
    PSP2 will be stronger than the PS2 and nearing PS3 powers...there is no way it won't.  Look at the Nvidia mobile chipsets...Sony will have something comparable to that...if not better.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @KaosAngel said:

" @xyzygy said:

" How can they do that without making the system only marginally better than the PSP? "
    PSP2 will be stronger than the PS2 and nearing PS3 powers...there is no way it won't.  Look at the Nvidia mobile chipsets...Sony will have something comparable to that...if not better. "
    But won't that make it even more expensive than the 3DS, which is kind of a bad decision because the 3DS is already as or more expensive than a new 360 or PS3?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @xyzygy said:
    " But won't that make it even more expensive than the 3DS, which is kind of a bad decision because the 3DS is already as or more expensive than a new 360 or PS3? "
    I trust Sony will make the price around $200...they only screwed up pricing once, and they aren't stupid enough to do it again.
    Josiah_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Josiah_X

The new psp2 need to suport all of my umd's and I would consider it. It could also use a better way to control the camera in fps's.  I hate using the triangle,circle,x and square bottons to move the camera and/or the aiming reticule.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thehexeditor
    @xyzygy:  I think the cost of an acceptable increase in graphical power is not as high as you think; as good as 3DS games look, I believe the price can be attributed to the 3D technology and not the graphics. I'm just talking out of my ass though so don't take this as any sort of denial/retort of what you're saying :D
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond
    @xyzygy said:

@Diamond said:

I think Sony's best bet is to undercut the 3DS's price.  They certainly don't want to make a more expensive handheld...

How can they do that without making the system only marginally better than the PSP?
    If they don't support stereoscopic 3D (really only a scale of tens of dollars cheaper, but it requires more processing power too) and sell the product at an initial loss it wouldn't be too hard.  They could probably outclass the processing and RAM of the 3DS without breaking the bank (if the supposed leaked specs of 3DS are to be believed)
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel

This is Nvidia's Tegra 250, and the most powerful mobile chip.  It runs UT3 flawlessly on near max settings.  Windows 7 Phones and future Android Phones will be using it...trust me, the PSP2 will look like this, if not better.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, not really. Or not all actually.

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kimbokasteniv

Now that the 3DS has a price point, I have to say that I am concerned about how expensive the psp2 will be. 

Otherwise yeah I am excited. I guess it must have a 3d screen. And I will laugh if it does not have two analog sticks. Although, I am curious about whether it will use a disc or a cartridge. It seems cartridges are big enough and cheap enough by now for it to use one without sacrificing storage space. Bluetooth (connect to a ps3 controller or headset)? Wireless N? USB 3.0 (I guess not)? Built in storage? I guess an OLED screen is out of the question with 3D. Maybe an LED back lit screen. SD card support (I wish)? 

Hmmm, that's all I can think of for a psp2. Hopefully it won't be a let down.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

Not really, unless it's announced real soon and is a phone. Cause I need to buy an android phone soon.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By triple07

Nope. Unless they show off something really crazy and innovative I doubt they will make me buy a PSP2. Never bought a PSP.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Brendan

I have no desire.  Not enough games that I want to play, and when I'm on the go I appreciate the differences from my console to the DS, not rue them.  I don't hate the PSP or anything, I'm just not a fan.
    Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Blind_Evil
    @KaosAngel said:

" @xyzygy said:

" But won't that make it even more expensive than the 3DS, which is kind of a bad decision because the 3DS is already as or more expensive than a new 360 or PS3? "
    I trust Sony will make the price around $200...they only screwed up pricing once, and they aren't stupid enough to do it again. "
    Eh?  $599 launch PS3 crippled the system's image out of the gate and $249 for the PSPgo which was a stripped down PSP.  That's twice.  I wouldn't bet against a third go-round.
    Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Minus

i dont even know why sony are bothering, they get raped in handheld sales compared to nintendos

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By kagato

To be honest no, the PSP is a fine piece of kit if you have it plugged into a wall but its hardly portable the same way the DS is.  I really dont think they have learned their lesson about media, i still reckon they will put some kind of battery chewing optical drive in it and put another power hungry graphics card and processor in it so youll be chained to a wall socket.  That and knowing that Sony will pull most of the features off of the 3DS onto the new PSP makes it way less exciting because we will already have been there and done that.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ninjakiller

No.  Unless the stuff I heard about psp2 is false, I have no interest in it.  A phone?  Seriously? 

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lukeweizer

... No.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By paradox121
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Let's be honest here, most the games coming out are ports or remakes for the 3DS, it's not worth it.  I wear glasses so 3d will always look like crap for me.  With that $250 I could go over to Holland and party it out. "
    Wait....call me stupid but why would wearing glasses make the 3D worse?
    I wear them and its always fine (if not awkward when you have to wear 3D specs on top). Unless you have a specific problem where your eyes are of different 'levels'.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BBQBram

Hahahahahahaha.

No.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

lolno

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel

Not really.  The 3DS is a known quantity at this point, and seeing both it and the games in development for it have me interested in it.  Given what little is known about the PSP2, I can't say the same for it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho

Idunno. If it has duel analogues that means I can play shitty long loading ports of PS3 games on a portable, finally.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus

If it turns out to be a ultra-power machine that has graphics approaching the 360, and it actually has double analog sticks, and has like 20 hours of battery, then I'll be excited for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.