New System Update is out. FOLDERS!!

#1 Edited by JJOR64 (18783 posts) -

For those of you that are under the radar, this new update introduces the ability to use Folders to organize the home menu. FOLDERS!! Also, the ability to patch 3DS games, and I guess the eShop is supposed to have a new look as well.

GET IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=176135

#2 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

My body is ready for folders.

#3 Posted by LordAndrew (13982 posts) -

Well, shit. This is what I get for playing DS games on my 3DS. Let this be a lesson to you all: Don't play Radiant Historia.

#4 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

The folders are really neat and saved my home screen from all the ambassador games. Also, the eShop interface isn't total shit anymore! I guess that's all I noticed and it's a nice little update though I wish they could have added a bit more. Is there anything I might have missed that changed?

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (13982 posts) -

Great. Virtual Console games are now sorted into folders for each platform. And each folder can have its own icon size. I used the two-per-column view for NES and GBA games so they all fit perfectly. Three-per-column for Game Boy games because I bought too many but can't bear to shrink the icons any further. Unfortunately, I have three folders in a row that have "G" as their icon. I could throw an additional letter at the beginning of the name for icon control, but then "Game Boy Advance" won't fit. Curses!

#6 Posted by LordAndrew (13982 posts) -

BREAKING NEWS: The 3DS/DS card icon can't be put in a folder. Whatever it's called. Disc Channel?

#7 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Now if only a new update came out so that I didn't have to see the G on my folder because I called it gameboy

UPDATE.... Nevermind I just put a space before each name

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

Awesome. Folders are such a small addition, but they make a huge difference; it means all that crap that ends up lying around can be neatly tucked away :D Although, I have to say, if I didn't already know that they added folders, then I probably wouldn't have found the option myself (seriously, who just clicks on blank tiles...?)

Also, the new store isn't particularly good; but, hey, I'm not complaining, I mean it certainly isn't worse than what it was before...

#9 Edited by Vextroid (1316 posts) -

The folders a pretty cool. Sucks there is only room for 1 character on the face of the Folder, It looked like there was 2-3 characters on the Japanese demo video, (but maybe that is just my lack of knowledge on the Japanese language.) Also the the character limit. I have folders called GameBoy Virtual and NES Virtual Cons and it kinda bugs me.

Why can't you put the shop into a folder?

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

This is a very welcome addition, but one that should have been there from the start. For all of Nintendo's innovations, it's pretty puzzling how they can be so backwards and un-user friendly in regards to so many other things.

But at least I can put all my Ambassador games in one place and keep things a bit more tidy.

#11 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Vextroid said:

The folders a pretty cool. Sucks there is only room for 1 character on the face of the Folder, It looked like there was 2-3 characters on the Japanese demo video, (but maybe that is just my lack of knowledge on the Japanese language.) Also the the character limit. I have folders called GameBoy Virtual and NES Virtual Cons and it kinda bugs me.

Why can't you put the shop into a folder?

If they want to make the folders work better, they should have the option for a picture icon, like NES or Gameboy or GBA et cetera. Then the folders would be easy to identify. I am sure it wouldn't be that gard for them to make it work. Still, I am happy now I have 4 folders set up to tidy the place up - Gameboy Advance, NES, Demos & Utilities. This is a decent update and I so like the new eShop setup. Sure, it isn't perfect, but I find the Sony, Apple and Xbox ones equally less than perfect to use.

#12 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

The one character limit makes it look stupid.

#13 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Oh man I hadn't turned on my 3DS on in months and was happily surprised by this news. I hated how there was just so much shit on my 3DS home screen, 90% of it went unused anyway. So I just made a folder called junk and shoved everything in there, I now feel better about the 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.