New twin stick 3DS on the way, maybe

#1 Posted by Heltom92 (694 posts) -

Just saw this reportthat there may be a new 3DS on the way that has two circle pads and a toned down 3D effect.

I was quite shocked when I saw this, the report also says Nintendo are asking developers to create games with dual pads in mind. Also, toning down the 3D effect seems crazy, I am not a big fan of 3D in general but if they are steeping away from the devices key feature it does not reflect very well on them at all.

#2 Posted by JoeyRavn (4887 posts) -

Is it a dick move to introduce a major change (a second analog stick) not one year after the 3DS was released? Yes.

Is it a dick move that will make me buy a 3DS? Yes. If it's true and they keep the $/€170 price tag, I'll be getting a 3DS for sure.

#3 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

If they make a new revision that fast then it's just gonna warn consumers to just wait a longer time before buying the "final" 3DS assuming they even want one anymore. I'm gonna call false news on this one.

#4 Posted by Bollard (5027 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUU NINTENDO 

This better be BS, however 01net always seem to find shit out early >.>

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

First the price drop, then a new improved model.

Sure, it was bound to happen, but Nintendo really made me regret buying it on launch day so far, I'm just gonna wait out all their stuff now, they should stop being such dicks.

#6 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

They probably shouldn't have emphasised the 3D so much to  begin with, and definitely shouldn't have put it right there in the name. So, learn from your mistakes I guess. It's a decent piece of hardware and the library will be shaping up nicely towards the end of the year, I wish them the best of luck. 

Not too keen on the 2nd analogue stick though ... and not from the perspective of it 'screwing over' people who already own the thing. Just that, I've never had a problem playing DS games just the way they were, because they were made with the system in mind and often are pretty original for that. I think the temptation when the system looks more like a traditional controller is to design games for it that would be played with a traditional controller, and generally those aren't the kind of games I want to play on a handheld. We'll see.

#7 Posted by JTB123 (1045 posts) -

Can't say this comes as a surprise, I was really stunned it didn't have 2 analog sticks to being with. I really feel bad for anyone that got one at launch.

#8 Posted by Sanj (2235 posts) -

There is bound to be a new model next year, but I don't know if I believe the changes the article states.

#9 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

Now I can ignore a whole new model of the 3DS.

#10 Posted by lord_canti (1489 posts) -

this cant be real i meen yea they redused the price rather quick but that was to make more people buy it and get more 3rd party support nintendo is not stupid enough to split the fan base by releasing a seperate platform. now if this was the launch one yea that would make sence as i played kid icarus at a event and it was horrable using the touch screen as a second stick

#11 Posted by RoyCampbell (1095 posts) -

Eh.

I'm not one to play third/first-person shooters on a portable, which seem to be the genres that would most require dual sticks. The possibility of an addition of a stick will not dissuade me from purchasing a 3DS before a revision, that's for sure. Can't wait for Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney!!

#12 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (536 posts) -

If this is true then Nintendo just dropped the ball with the 3DS hardcore. Swallow your pride guys, just cut your losses and discontinue the thing all together.

#13 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

But what about games? 
Like...new games?

#14 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -

if this move is true , then is the final hit for me to jump to sony badnwagon  

sry nintendo , but it seems you are full of MALAKES in your company and i dont plan wasting my money for your MALAKIES 

(i believe everyone here know the malakas word) :P

#15 Posted by James_ex_machina (896 posts) -

Battery life should be the number one change to the system

#16 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

Aw man, I just bought the damned thing a week ago!

#17 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

I wonder how many mindless fans will blindly defend Nintendo on this move, if it would happen.

#18 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

Nintendo just needs to cut their losses on this thing if they're considering implementing an entire other stick to it and deemphasizing its namesake 3D effect.

#19 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

I find this hard to believe; it was a major move to cut the price - which seems to be working with software and hardware sales up - and they'll have to work hard, despite free games, to gain the trust of early adopters, if they completely rebrand the device, and in essence change it to create a new piece of hardware with a new identity, where does it leave the 3DS?  

i think they'll leave it to see how well they do through the holiday season, if they don't see a pretty large spike in sales over the holiday, especially with a new mario or mario kart boosting interest then i think they can assume its dead, but until then i think its premature to pressume a redesign or rebrand is coming

i don't think the 3DS is necessarily a failure and in the same way the DS needed to be used first hand before committing, same with the 3D of the 3DS so i think it may take time but it'll gain speed 

i can't imagine them releasing it with another analogue stick, possibly if they've found that its necessary as has been suggested for titles like rayman or other 3rd person games, i'd be all for it, i think as a counter measure to the touchscreen only games on smartphones - the idea of dedicated gaming devices having every button for numerous gaming types seems like an antidote  

i still don't believe so soon after the release and subsequent price drop they'll completely rebrand and redesign the device; it could be a mistranslation as all the 3DS needs is a more creative marketing strategy or different angle, already on the ads shown in UK the only time they mention 3D is in the title 3DS at the end, everything else just talks about online, better graphics etc which is a smart move but i wonder if its enough  

like any product all it takes is one or two, usually one, identifiable game or application that reads as only available on that platform (brain age : DS / dance central : kinect) to generate major sales in the 'casual' market and help give the device an identity itself 

i find it strange how everyone is calling for nintendo to give up the hardware market and go to smartphones and how apple etc have gained the casual market that nintendo once held almost 100% of, but people just need a reason to buy something, if anything its easier now to sell people electrical products - if you think about how many products there are now concerning games; the consoles and peripherals like kinect and move, the numerous DS iterations, PSP and smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops and even TVs or set top boxes. 

i think they just need to give people a reason to buy one, i still haven't seen one, if anything i'm more interested in the DSi XL than a 3DS 

#20 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

I doubt this is true. PSP had these sorta rumors going around for years right after release but they never got beyond that. And the same argument applies for the 3DS as the dual analog PSP, it's stupid to fragment your market like that. Games will be optimized for one control scheme rather then the other. Maybe on Nintendo's next handheld but I can't see it happening on this one.

#21 Posted by J12088 (432 posts) -

I'll believe it when i see it. Can't seem them panicing that bad. And that's exactly what this sort of move would be - a panic move.

#22 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I haven't bought one because the only game I want to play on it at the moment is still an old Zelda game I have already beaten numerous times. So for now I am happy to continue to sit and wait for price drops and revisions and keep playing Layton on my DSi occasionally.

#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Well fucking shit. They had better offer a trade-up system for us Ambassadors.

#24 Posted by sirdesmond (1223 posts) -

I'm doubting this is true. While another model of 3DS is definitely in the works, I'd imagine. They wouldn't remove any of the 3D technology that they have in the current one, especially because it both works and they have hedged all of their bets on it, plus releasing a dual-pad version would essentially make any new games for the system unplayable to those with a first-gen 3DS which would be a far greater smack in the face than any price drop, especially since now 3DS get you even less money back if you are selling it.

As much as a dual pad 3DS may be cool, I'm hoping this isn't the case, at least not for a while.

#25 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (831 posts) -

I find this hard to believe, but if it IS true...

@MrKlorox said:

They had better offer a trade-up system for us Ambassadors.

Exactly.

#26 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

Well there will be a redesign because that's Nintendo's schtick, but I wouldn't have expected one for another two years.  Such a move this early on smacks of desperation.  This story sounds more like some suits were knockin' around some ideas and they got leaked to the media.  Why de-emphasize the 3D when players can completely turn it off?  Also, it seems unlikely that they would release a 3DS 2.0 that includes a second analogue stick.  That type of redesign is just too radical and splits the user-base severely.  I find all these rumors highly dubious. 

#27 Posted by Sogeman (852 posts) -

If it's the same price, I'll buy it.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Doesn't seem likely. After going to great lengths to assure the "ambassadors" don't feel ripped off after the price drop, coming out with a completely new model next year would be a massive slap in the face. I have no doubt that there will be a revision eventually, but they can't possibly do it so soon, it would reflect too badly on them and put off even the most hardcore supporters off getting the Wii U at release.

If it is true though, they will have certainly made the Vita look a lot more appealing to me.

#29 Posted by BBQBram (2165 posts) -

They better not. They better not!

#30 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

It's like they just can't seem to realize that all we want are some damn quality GAMES.

#31 Posted by Brendan (7520 posts) -

I'm not buying it. The rumour, I mean.

#32 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

lol

#33 Posted by Levio (1781 posts) -

Since when has Nintendo ever decided to suddenly redo their hardware?

Improvements are one thing, but taking a complete 180 on both controls and 3D? Unlikely.

#34 Posted by xyzygy (9627 posts) -

Twin sticks would make me so much more interested in a 3DS.

#35 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

No.

#36 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2148 posts) -

I want 50 more free games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.