Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo 3DS - 2.5 to 4.5 hours of battery life?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By project343

Reports are coming in that the 3DS has a low life of 2.5 hours if the 3D is turned completely on, and around 5 hours if it's completely off. 

IGN's 3DS hardware review

Unfortunately, those estimates are actually pretty accurate, and depending on how you use your 3DS, the built-in battery could last as few as two and a half hours or up to roughly four and a half hours per charge. Factors like 3D usage, Wi-Fi connectivity, screen brightness, and the caliber of games you're using impact the battery's lifespan, so individual experiences will vary.     

Is this acceptable with the DS Lite's battery life being particularly excellent?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @project343 said:
    " Reports are coming in that the 3DS has a low life of 2.5 hours if the 3D is turned completely on, and around 5 hours if it's completely off. 

IGN's 3DS hardware review

Unfortunately, those estimates are actually pretty accurate, and depending on how you use your 3DS, the built-in battery could last as few as two and a half hours or up to roughly four and a half hours per charge. Factors like 3D usage, Wi-Fi connectivity, screen brightness, and the caliber of games you're using impact the battery's lifespan, so individual experiences will vary.     

Is this acceptable with the DS Lite's battery life being particularly excellent? "  
    We where told the battery life was crap a wile ago. Its not really new news. 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

This is very old news. Yes, without the 3D, the battery life is 5-6 hours.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

Its 3D on a handheld.  Shit don't run on fairy dust.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Old news, bro.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wickedsc3
    @Andorski said:

" Its 3D on a handheld.  Shit don't run on fairy dust. "

Boom!
    Who really has that much free time in a day to play more than 4 hours on a handheld?  Now i can see special circumstances like a flight to tokyo or something but everyday use like during a commute i think the battery life is acceptable.  Now with that said im sure there will be and update in a year or so to make it have better battery life. 
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @Andorski said:
    NGP is going to have shit battery life then. 
    And it doesn't matter. If they couldn't get enough juice into the device, the device shouldn't exist until they can. And when 3D is the selling point of the platform, the battery life without 3D doesn't really matter. It's the number WITH the 3D enabled that needs to be good. No 3D should be like turning the brightness all the way down, wifi and bluetooth off, and all that other shit on your phone. Making your battery last forever.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

That's better than my PSP's battery life.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " Making your battery last forever. "
    It's not magic. There are limits to the capabilities of current batteries and they can't simply aim to make it last longer just cause. 

@MordeaniisChaos said:
    " NGP is going to have shit battery life then. "
    It's probably going to have a battery life comparable to the 3DS with 3D on.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189

My DS battery lasts for like 2 hours. It'll be fine.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

This and the price is convincing me to wait until an improved model comes out. I need a minimum of 8 hours out of most of my electronics, given that's about the longest plane flight I take on a regular basis. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By JJOR64

To me that's the only bad thing about the system.  I will have the 3D off most of the time and have it on the least brightest setting to help the battery life.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By project343
    @JJOR64 said:
    " To me that's the only bad thing about the system.  I will have the 3D off most of the time and have it on the least brightest setting to help the battery life. "
    There are murmurs that the 3D may have gameplay implications. Various outlets are claiming that 3D can be an incredibly useful tool for judging depth in depth-precise games like PilotWings. If a new polygonal Mario game comes out for the 3DS (from the Galaxy team) with all sorts of insane gravity effects, flying suits, and whatnot... think turning off the 3D will suffice? 

This is my biggest concern. 4-5 hours of battery life leaves you with less-than-optimal gameplay.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andorski
    @project343: While I can see small downloadable games on the eShop making the 3D imperative to it's gameplay, I can't see full retail games doing the same.  You have to develop for the largest common denominator in order to sell, and publishers have to know that there will be a subset of 3DS owners who will play on the system with the 3D turned off.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By project343
    @Andorski: I don't think it's possible to make 3D imperative--technically. But the aid with depth perception could be fairly important with polygonal movement. As I said, I believe both IGN and Joystiq had made the comment that there were some tasks in PilotWings which they could not complete--then they turned on the 3D and completed without a problem. 

Back to your core argument, I'm not entirely sure if I agree that 3D should be made entirely optional. It's the core feature of the device--developers should feel compelled to use it. There are few (if any) DS games that succeed without heavy or required use of the touch pad/microphone/dual screen. Critics applaud developers for taking advantage of this hardware. Should the same not be expected of 3D? I'd hate to see the "3D portion" of 3DS reviews be a quick jot note at the end of the review.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski
    @project343: Did IGN/Joystiq mention specific tasks that made 3D integral?  Movement through polygonal space in games has been going on since 1992.  Can't see how 3D is necessary now. 

And you can't compare 3D to features in the original DS like the dual screens and touch pad.  The aforementioned two cannot be turned off by the system, whereas the 3D can.  As for the mic, I can't think of a game that made is necessary to use.  I remember Brain Age always asking you if you were in an environment that allowed you to speak reasonably loud.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

I can imagine 3D could help in some situations, but if it's truly necessary that's just ridiculous.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nukesniper

Regardless of the fact that this is old news, that is still depressing life though. I fear the fact that it might not survive something as simple as a short flight on a plane. That's a bit too short in my opinion. Sure it needs more power, but I want to be able to play it a bit longer than that without the light turning red on me. =(

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By RobotHamster

That's why you wait until the 3DS Lite XXXL to get one.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Sooperspy

My DS lite only lives for 3-5 hours anyway. I don't think it will be that much of a problem, since I usually play the DS at my house anyway (I know, it defeats the purpose of a handheld, but I don't care). I'm still going to wait to get one, though, because the launch games for it don't intrigue me very much.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Contro
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

It is rather disapointing, but to be fair I don't go travel to much in my life so It won't be an issue there, and if I did it wouldnt be for to long. I'll just charge it when it runs out then if I feel I need to ply it from charge. Thats the most important ting tough I think, is... 

How long will it take to charge?
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By project343
    @Andorski:  

IGN:

I'm currently working my way through PilotWings Resort. I'm earning points and progressing through Mission Flight Mode's various difficulty levels, all by flying in planes, gliders and rocket belts. The game isn't particularly difficult at this point, but in one mission I found myself taxed slightly more than usual. I was trying to gauge my flight path, lining up a path marker with the next major goal. Hitting both would earn me critical points, so my choice was clear – don't miss either target. My grip on the 3DS tightened, as I was almost certain I was going to miss one or the other. Determining the proper depth was so tricky… 

Wait a second. 

Up until this point, I hadn't been playing in 3D. It's late as I write this, and, as my eyes grew tired, the 3D had started to bother me a bit. Plus, with the 3D on, the smoothness of the game takes a hit. Why not ease the demand on the system, its battery and my eyes? 

As I reached for the 3D adjustment slider, I wondered if turning on 3D would make any difference. Why would it? This stuff is just a graphical gimmick, right? A cool hook to get the mass market curious about games, right? I'm the biggest defender of the Nintendo 3DS, but even I admit that gameplay isn't going to change because of a 3D effect. 

But then I turned on the 3D. Suddenly I could properly figure out some last minute adjustments to my glider's flight path. I could figure out one object's special relationship with another. I knew how far apart they were, and how much time I'd have to move until the next. This wasn't so problematic after all. I coasted through one target, earning my points, hit the next, and pulled the analog slider back to soar back into the air. It was a breeze.    

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Bollard
    You got an issue? Plug it the fuck into a wall! Seriously. The only battery usage figure I wanna hear is how long the thing lasts in sleep mode with spot pass and street pass on. Then I will know whether its worth doing that shit to sacrifice play time.  

Plus if it really is an issue I'm sure there will be a 3rd Party battery pack thing soon. 

@Contro said: 

" You can double the 3DS battery life to "18hrs" with a "Nyko 3DS Power Pak". It's the only product of this type that will be available at launch. 

http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/nyko-3ds-power-pak-and-charge-base#/0 "

Ah there we go! Exactly what I was talking about. Also 20 bucks? Thats a steal! I hope they release that in the UK, it looks damn sexy. 
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By MachoFantastico

It's a big issue for many people, I understand that. Personally it's not for me, I rarely use a DS for more then a hour at a time. I'm a casual player, as in I'll pick it up for a spell of about half an hour then put it back on charge, that's how I see me using the 3DS as well. Having said that I'm sure there will be times when it becomes a problem.  

Though in all seriousness, why is this such a shock? It's technically a 3D screen and if I'm not mistaken the 3DS as to create a double image so it will obviously use more power. Not a massive concern for me, it's the same as the iPhone really, you'll get use to charging it frequently. 

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " Making your battery last forever. "
    It's not magic. There are limits to the capabilities of current batteries and they can't simply aim to make it last longer just cause. 

@MordeaniisChaos said:
    " NGP is going to have shit battery life then. "
    It's probably going to have a battery life comparable to the 3DS with 3D on. "
    Damn, way to quote out of context buddy :D No shit it isn't magic. But that is why the system needs to wait until ALL of it's features are up to par, which CLEARLY the battery isn't. The batter SHOULDN'T last "forever" with everything up and enabled, but it should be good enough that when you turn all that shit off, you get an impressive battery life, not the life you need from when everything is on. Two and a half fucking hours? That isn't just NOT magic, it's also PATHETIC. It's a handheld platform. It needs to last through a day of being away from a charger, which even 4 hours often isn't enough, especially when that number gets crunched a bit if you don't just turn the system off. Hope you don't want to go anywhere with that fancy new handheld of yours. 

And if you think the battery life will be comparable, your a fool. After all, the 3DS uses the maximum battery possible, right? That seems to be what you think. So I find it hard to believe that the handheld device with more CPU cores than most people's desktop PC, and frankly impressive graphics processing horsepower, and far more total horsepower than the 3DS is going to have comparable battery life. 
    Unless of course there are further advances in battery technologies. You know, a little R&D. 
    Yeah, it'll probably be similar. And as a result, it'll make a lot of people question why handhelds need to be as "advanced" as they'll be. 

It isn't magic, your right. But that isn't an excuse for shit poor battery life. It's the very reason products like this need to wait till they are ready. If everything else is too much to be supported by the battery, then something needs to change. Either the battery or the other hardware.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Scooper

That's why I'm waiting for the next revision for the 3DS before I buy one. It's bound to have a longer battery life, be lighter, cheaper and all that good stuff.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pibo47
    @Andorski said:
    Dude, what if it did? Just sayin, cause thatd be crazy!
    DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

The problem with that low of a battery life means that you will have to constantly charge it so you know it can last when you take it out. The nice thing about a long battery life is you can use a device for like a half hour to an hour car-ride, put it away then pull it out again later knowing it will still have plenty of battery life left for over more uses without having to constantly charge it or have it die mid use or mid trip on you. Sure you can say that you will just have to charge it more often but lets think about this here for a minute, the more times you charge a battery the quicker it deteriorates in terms of how much charge it will actually holds until it eventual dies and can no longer hold a charge. The DS's battery could only be charged 500 times before it would start to deteriorate. Now the battery may hold a charge for 2.5 but what after the battery starts to deteriorate? It could drop to an hour, then a half hour and then nothing. If it only lasts for two and a half hours and you travel quite a bit or just enjoy playing games on the system at home you will need to charge this thing quite frequently and the battery will probably not even last a year before you have to replace it, and probably in the later months of the year the battery life will probably be even less than 2.5 hours. It just simply isn't enough battery life for me.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By babblinmule
    @wickedsc3 said:
    " @Andorski said:

Boom! Who really has that much free time in a day to play more than 4 hours on a handheld?   "
    I don't know about that - if I want to see my gf at the moment, I have to sit on a train for 7 hours (where the regular old DS is fantastic). So when I make the inevitable jump to the 3DS in a few months, the low battery life is going to suck major balls.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @babblinmule said:
    " @wickedsc3 said:
    " @Andorski said:

Boom! Who really has that much free time in a day to play more than 4 hours on a handheld?   "
    I don't know about that - if I want to see my gf at the moment, I have to sit on a train for 7 hours (where the regular old DS is fantastic). So when I make the inevitable jump to the 3DS in a few months, the low battery life is going to suck major balls. "
    A somewhat related scenario, the train I'd need to take to see my girlfriend (If I don't drive)  has electrical outlets.
    babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By babblinmule
    @Zippedbinders said:
    " @babblinmule said:
    " @wickedsc3 said:
    " @Andorski said:

I don't know about that - if I want to see my gf at the moment, I have to sit on a train for 7 hours (where the regular old DS is fantastic). So when I make the inevitable jump to the 3DS in a few months, the low battery life is going to suck major balls. "
    A somewhat related scenario, the train I'd need to take to see my girlfriend (If I don't drive)  has electrical outlets. "
    Trust me - I've looked and looked and looked. Cross country french trains apparently dont seem to have em (either that or I just suck at looking.... which is probably more likely haha).
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Trebz

It's not the biggest deal for me, because I don't fly very often or find myself in a situation where I'm using a handheld outside of my house for more than a couple of hours, but this still sucks. I'm really thinking hard on whether I want to pre-order this or just wait until the 3DS Lite.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Contro
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " You got an issue? Plug it the fuck into a wall! Seriously. The only battery usage figure I wanna hear is how long the thing lasts in sleep mode with spot pass and street pass on. Then I will know whether its worth doing that shit to sacrifice play time.  

Plus if it really is an issue I'm sure there will be a 3rd Party battery pack thing soon. 

@Contro said: 

" You can double the 3DS battery life to "18hrs" with a "Nyko 3DS Power Pak". It's the only product of this type that will be available at launch. 

http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/nyko-3ds-power-pak-and-charge-base#/0 "

Ah there we go! Exactly what I was talking about. Also 20 bucks? Thats a steal! I hope they release that in the UK, it looks damn sexy.  "

There's no word on it being available here, but most of Nyko's products do turn up at Gamestation behind the counter. I doubt it'll be able to pick up at at launch over here, but a few weeks after and you should be fine. Alternatively, Amazon.com (not UK) will surely be selling it in a week or so. 

Nintendo have supplied a charge cradle so users can avoid battery hassle as much as possible. The 3DS battery life isn't great, but then it is a system that requires substantially more power than the DS range does.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Contro

@Andorski: said:

" @project343: While I can see small downloadable games on the eShop making the 3D imperative to it's gameplay, I can't see full retail games doing the same.  You have to develop for the largest common denominator in order to sell, and publishers have to know that there will be a subset of 3DS owners who will play on the system with the 3D turned off. "

While not imperative to gameplay, it's certainly a very welcome aid to it.  I played every single 3DS game at a recent Nintendo event, and I've seen numerous examples where it seamlessly helps. For instance, in Kid Icarus: Uprising, flying around and selecting targets at high speed is made far more easier, because the player is now able to better determine the distance and flight path of enemies. With the function off, I found the game was a lot more trickier, as I was unable to avoid collisions and fire from NPC's as well.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By project343
    @Contro: I can see the best example being in polygonal (read: 3D) platformers. I mean, if you removed the player's shadow from a platforming game... you would have an unplayable game. The trajectory and location of a shadow is the only way to determine depth from a 2D screen in any reasonably fast way.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Bollard
    @Contro said:
    " There's no word on it being available here, but most of Nyko's products do turn up at Gamestation behind the counter. I doubt it'll be able to pick up at at launch over here, but a few weeks after and you should be fine. Alternatively, Amazon.com (not UK) will surely be selling it in a week or so.  Nintendo have supplied a charge cradle so users can avoid battery hassle as much as possible. The 3DS battery life isn't great, but then it is a system that requires substantially more power than the DS range does. "
    Yeahh I too doubt it being available at launch - but I will be testing first to see if the battery life actually becomes an issue for me, otherwise I'll try and import one. Yeah the Nintendo charge cradle isn't a bad idea, shame if you want one of these Pak+'s you have to buy a different cradle.
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By korolev

It's acceptable for me.... since I don't actually take any of my portable systems out of my house (too worried they'd get lost, and I get motion sick if I try to play it on the Bus). It would be nice if it lasted longer, but seriously, are you really going to play your DS for 5 hours straight without being near a charging station? I guess if you were on a train or on a plane or on a really long car trip, it would be nice to have a long-battery life, but I am not one of those people. 

I'm pretty sure you could buy a third-party extra battery that you can charge separately and then plug into the 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.