Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo 3DS eShop And Other Features Not Hitting Till May

• 65 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Not all of the Nintendo 3DS’ features will make it for launch, as we learned during the handheld’s price and release date reveal event in New York. The “eShop,” the Internet browser, and the DSiWare transfer service will all be coming at a later date, according to a quarterly reportNintendo produced last week.

The digital release of these three features coincides with the first system update that is slated to hit at some point in May, a couple of months after the Nintendo 3DS hits North American shores on March 27, 2011. It’s impossible to tell what the hold-up is from the quarterly report, but it looks like Nintendo wants to give all three some user-friendly functionality before they make their debut.  

“So far, Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop, which are based on internet-browser technology, have not provided the users with a sufficiently easy and accessible interface because switching from one screen to another takes time and, for Wii, promotions by Nintendo Channel and sales at Wii Shop Channel have not been closely linked,” Nintendo president Iwata says in the report (via Shacknews). 

“As it is critical in digital software distribution that the software available there won't be buried and go unnoticed, and that we can prepare pleasant encounters for consumers, we will be running a drastically redesigned shop for Nintendo 3DS in which you can more comfortably purchase software through downloads," he said.

If you own a DS and ever wanted to download a game, you know what Iwata is talking about right here. The current Nintendo DS store is clunky, slow, and the presentation of what is available to purchase leaves a lot to be desired. Nintendo appears to get this, and looks poised to implement better, more intuitive systems for the 3DS. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a couple of months after launch to see if it can pull this off.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Not all of the Nintendo 3DS’ features will make it for launch, as we learned during the handheld’s price and release date reveal event in New York. The “eShop,” the Internet browser, and the DSiWare transfer service will all be coming at a later date, according to a quarterly reportNintendo produced last week.

The digital release of these three features coincides with the first system update that is slated to hit at some point in May, a couple of months after the Nintendo 3DS hits North American shores on March 27, 2011. It’s impossible to tell what the hold-up is from the quarterly report, but it looks like Nintendo wants to give all three some user-friendly functionality before they make their debut.  

“So far, Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop, which are based on internet-browser technology, have not provided the users with a sufficiently easy and accessible interface because switching from one screen to another takes time and, for Wii, promotions by Nintendo Channel and sales at Wii Shop Channel have not been closely linked,” Nintendo president Iwata says in the report (via Shacknews). 

“As it is critical in digital software distribution that the software available there won't be buried and go unnoticed, and that we can prepare pleasant encounters for consumers, we will be running a drastically redesigned shop for Nintendo 3DS in which you can more comfortably purchase software through downloads," he said.

If you own a DS and ever wanted to download a game, you know what Iwata is talking about right here. The current Nintendo DS store is clunky, slow, and the presentation of what is available to purchase leaves a lot to be desired. Nintendo appears to get this, and looks poised to implement better, more intuitive systems for the 3DS. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a couple of months after launch to see if it can pull this off.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Also they are working on making some bitching tunes.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By artelinarose

Gah, bummer. I was going to get one for one of my lady friends, but I guess as with most consoles/handhelds the initial selection will be limited. By limited I mean terrible.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Daveyo520

poor Jeff.

kratosauron0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kratosauron0

Delay it! It's not ready! Let it come out in June! 
    And I know that sounds controversial... but really, the system is launching too soon. Let it come out when it's ready, and that's when it has all of its features.

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By omghisam

It takes a while to come up with a new jingle.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

I expect nothing less from Nintendo.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By RobertOrri

Nintendo is terrible at this online thing. Forced friend codes, split Wii/DSi points, non-transferable games because there's no accounts to link them to... it's really terrible for the customer.

I don't expect them to improve on this with the 3DS. Plus we now have region-locked games to look forward to, on handhelds!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So the NintenDownload X-Press won't be expanding until May then. Oh well. 

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By demontium
    @kratosauron0 said:
    " Delay it! "
    Yeah, wtf nintendo? Just delay the damn thing until you have better launch titles ready and all the online crap sorted. Probably won't buy mine til Kid Icarus Uprising comes out.
    drumpsycho89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By drumpsycho89
    @Artemesia:  lady friends??  u didnt mean plural right?? lol 
    fitzoperfecto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By fitzoperfecto

Does it make sense to release a new system piece-meal?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Until May?  Hmm.... I think I will wait to purchase a 3DS then.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JohnDudebro

THE NINTENDOWNLOAD X-PRESS HAS MADE AN UNEXPECTED LAYOVER

zigx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zigx

It's a shame that the NDX will have to miss out on the excitement of the launch of the 3DS.

tineyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By tineyoghurt

This means the 3DS will have some sort of update system, which is something right?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1

So they don't have any good launch games and the e-shop isn't launching until May... why are they launching it early than?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sambambo

Is there any point getting this at launch? Its not as if any good games are out at launch anyway.

bko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bko

Has anyone checked on Jeff? I hope he was sitting down when this news made him faint.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

With the massive "launch window" and the fact that it's coming out basically incomplete, I get the feeling that they're rushing it's release a bit. It's definitely not a day-one purchase for me anymore, maybe I'll grab it after E3, but I think it's kinda stupid for nintendo to do this. Doesn't come off as very polished.  

@tineyoghurt said:

" This means the 3DS will have some sort of update system, which is something right? "
    The DSi already has this, all they've done is added stricter anti-piracy, they don't seem to use the system update to make any meaningful changes. 
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I'll be buying one to play DS games since my DS is broken. I can wait for good 3DS games.

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MegaGoat

The reason Nintendo has nothing at launch is because they need to get the hardware on sale before end of Japanese fiscal year, and the games aren't ready
    Accounting, etc

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By toowalrus

Man, remember all of these threads? They got me hyped for the DSi and the gameboy virtual console Nintendo promised us. It never happened, now they're postponing it again. I'm starting to think it'll never happen.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Piranesi

You do wonder just how much the bad web service has cost Nintendo - the overhead cost of development must be pretty small in comparison with the sheer profit of a digital only service. There always seemed tons of content (with admittedly a few diamonds in the piles of brown stuff) but always with the hurdle you had to make a purchase.

OK they are hardly down to their last brass farthing but the plateau / slide in DS and Wii sales (and relatively poor attach rate) may have forced their hand. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Pretty disappointing.. the launch games are already sorely lacking and now we're not even getting Links Awakening?  It's beginning to sound more rushed than the 360 launch.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vexxan

So what exactly are we getting on the day of the release? Anything at all?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By JJOR64

It's a bummer to hear, but oh well.  I really hope the internet browser is decent this time.  The DSi browser wasn't that good.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dany
    @Vegsen said:
    " So what exactly are we getting on the day of the release? Anything at all? "
    No...you are getting nothing. :p

seriously though, They should push it back to have this content with the console launch, as well for having some more games
    microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By microshock

I'm tired of supporting Nintendo and their piss poor attitude towards online play. Having it there is not enough. This is the 3rd or 4th time you threw away an opportunity to redo your online infrastructure, get rid of friend codes, and basically have it be like XBL/PSN.  

But no, even though millions of kids have XBL/PSN accounts, you feel like you have some duty to defend us by using friend codes.  

So fuck you Nintendo and your one gimmick hardware releases. Everyone will be over the nifty glassless 3D within a couple of months. You might say no but you know thats what happened with your Wii. 

Edit: Is there a reason people think the 3DS looks good? It almost looks like its copying the crappy clamshell design from the very first DS. And some of the button layouts are just stupid looking. Very cluttered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey at least they are TRYING to make things better!  How many of us would be happy if it launched with some broken ass online interface like the DSi has?  I'm not saying this isn't irritating and I too wish it had more stuff ready for its launch but at least Nintendo seems to be giving online a better shot this time around.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kjellm87

Huh....huh...? 
    All I read that they wanted improve it before releasing it, what up with the panic, you people?

But anyway, bummer

reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By reddin

Nintendo really does need to have a long, hard think about this whole 'on-line' thing, so I guess it's for the best.
    The whole 3DS launch looks a bit rushed, which seems weird when you consider their position in the market and the piles of money that they're swimming in.

Nintendo already un-sold on the 3DS though, thanks to the region locking, so definitely no launch day purchase for me.
    But I'll see how it turns out after a hardware refresh and a couple of price drops.

ghostmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ghostmind

Between this and the lackluster launch lineup, I'm going to wait until my son's bday in September to pick one up.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#36  Edited By Little_Socrates

Officially NOT getting this at launch. Going to GameStop and changing my pre-order to Portal 2 for PS3.

anon463728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By anon463728

On one hand, I applaud Nintendo for improving their online services. On the other hand, it's really unfortunate that they have to postpone key features such as the eShop and the built-in browser.
    Sneakybadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sneakybadger

Brad stealing jeffs thunder. He should report this.

tshirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tshirt
    @JJOR64 said:

" It's a bummer to hear, but oh well.  I really hope the internet browser is decent this time.  The DSi browser wasn't that good. "

It would be nice if it worked at all, couldn't get the thing to work faster than a snails pace whatever I tried.
    ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChrisInCali

What a total joke.  Anyone that gets this at launch is complete fool.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Afroman269

Good thing Nintendo Downloads Xpress exists to inform people on the shit games they could be missing out on.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#42  Edited By TadThuggish

I'd rather have a fantastic eShop day one with plenty of releases to choose from, instead of the Wii's 2006 Virtual Console launch when the choices were between Soccer and Altered Beast.

Wally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wally

Nintendo needs to get with the fuckin times

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How disappointing. And yet, I have the distinctive feeling they'll pull off the Wii launch all over again, with it becoming extremely scarce a month or so after launch. So, the question for me becomes, should I buy it at launch with only half of its features, or wait until May, where it might be impossible to find? Decisions, decisions...

Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By steelknight2000

Still waiting for the train to reach the station!

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kjellm87
    @RuneseekerMireille said:
    " How disappointing. And yet, I have the distinctive feeling they'll pull off the Wii launch all over again, with it becoming extremely scarce a month or so after launch. So, the question for me becomes, should I buy it at launch with only half of its features, or wait until May, where it might be impossible to find? Decisions, decisions... "
    If I understand correctly, the pre-order number is pretty high in UK at the moment, so yeah
    grbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By grbear

Its hard to believe they couldn't have some sort of account transfer in place for launch at the very least. Considering the amount of DSi owners out there it makes no sense that there isn't an easy upgrade path available to them with regards their DSiware purhases.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cybexx

Oh thank god we are getting actual word from Nintendo that they know their previous stores sucked, I always worry that Japanese companies are often oblivious to these types of issues or at least that is how they often come off. I'll happily allow them the time they need to improve this stuff.

Avatar image for natural_deadhead
    natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By natural_deadhead

Nintendo's marketing department did a great job on that video!
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kyle

Getting a game system at launch is almost never a good idea anyways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.