Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo 3DS Gets Priced, Dated, And Detailed

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#101  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I'm so buying one!

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By maxB

damn  300 bucks is a bit to pricey for me

Baljot187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Baljot187
    @fwylo said:
    " Thats like 5 months away.  5 Months * 4 Weeks per Month = 20 Weeks  $300/20 Weeks = $15 Dollars per Week  Start saving now and it doesn't seem like that much. "

By that retarded logic nothing in the world is expensive.  
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By fwylo
    @Baljot187 said:
    " @fwylo said:
    " Thats like 5 months away.  5 Months * 4 Weeks per Month = 20 Weeks  $300/20 Weeks = $15 Dollars per Week  Start saving now and it doesn't seem like that much. "
    By that retarded logic nothing in the world is expensive.   "
    Uhm.  Not sure how you can call math retarded as it is in fact... fact.  Judging by the impulsiveness of your response maybe you don't have the restraint to think things through before you make a decision.  So saving over the next 5 months would probably be out of the question.  Then when it comes time to buy one and all your friends have one and you want to play with them, you may or may not drop $300 on it and clear you current funds out.  Whilst the people saving still have money for whatever else.  So still not very retarded for the other people who saved.  I'd have to say that you my friend are the retarded one.  If you want something enough to save a mere $15 dollars a week for a few months it isn't a big deal.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By MetalGearSunny

That looks really appealing to me.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106  Edited By paradox121
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " And nobody has been freaking out about the back-lit buttons?   That alone should be a selling point as I cannot wait to see this thing in action in it's finished glory.  This will totally be $250 when it comes out over here if Nintendo wants it to sell well.   As you can see by the comments, $300 is just a frightening going price for a Nintendo handheld, but then again, if it's really worth that much and it does what it's supposed to do well, then maybe Nintendo could justify it.Hopefully the price of the games will still hover around where it's at now, but I can see them getting closer to the 40-50 dollar range easily. "
    Wait...back lit buttons? This thing has so many add ons that I keep forgetting about. I never seem to remember it actually has motion sensing (albeit slightly limited).
    And people take a little step back before moaning. They still havent actually announced prices outside Japan. But then this wouldnt be the internet without massive conclusion jumping.
    Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By Olivaw

There's no way they'll put it out in America at $300.

That's not something Nintendo does.

They know the value of a low price point in getting sales. They learned that with the Wii. And there's no way they'd put out a portable that's more expensive than their home console at launch. Not a chance in hell.

Whoever in "the media" is saying that is dumb, and should feel dumb. $250 at most, I'd say.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Olivaw
    @ajamafalous said:
    " That's way more than I would've been willing to pay.

@Willy105 said:
    " Two 3DS's for the price of one iPad/iPhone.   Looks like Nintendo is still doing the same strategy as they did last-gen, by offering the same at a lower price.  However, I wonder how Sony will react, if they plan on going back to the handheld business. "
    The base iPhone 4 is $199 with a two year contract. "
    Yes, but that's a two year contract with AT&T.

So it's $199 plus getting a nail pounded through your dick for two years.

Gotta take these things into account.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By yakov456

Cha ching, ouch.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm interested in the 3DS, for sure, but there's no way I'd pay $300 for it. I don't expect it will cost quite that much here in the US, though. Even $250 would be ridiculous, considering that was the launch price of the Wii.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#111  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Olivaw said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

@Willy105 said:
    " Two 3DS's for the price of one iPad/iPhone.   Looks like Nintendo is still doing the same strategy as they did last-gen, by offering the same at a lower price.  However, I wonder how Sony will react, if they plan on going back to the handheld business. "
    Yes, but that's a two year contract with AT&T.  So it's $199 plus getting a nail pounded through your dick for two years.  Gotta take these things into account. "
    I've been on AT&T for three years now and I'm signing a new two year contract in December when I buy an iPhone.

People just like to bitch.
    KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By KinjiroSSD

300?! Damnnnnnnn. I could buy a 360 instead. 

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Nintendo is trying to sell you a DS device that does 3D and better graphics than previous DS offerings. Now think about this for a second? Would $300 sound like too much if this was your first handheld gaming device sporting such technology? Probably not.  

But consider how portably saturated the market already is with hundreds of millions of iPhones/iTouch, PSP's, other DS'es, and suddenly you're not just looking at a price tag. You're looking to see if carrying a 3DS along with all that other portable shit you currently carry will justify even owning the damn thing regardless of price. People can carry only so much in their pocket before it becomes too cumbersome to call portable and honestly I think the 3DS's biggest competitor will be Nintendo's own regular DS/DSi lineup.    

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @LunarAura: Nintendo seems that they'll also continue supporting the regular DS even upon the release of the 3DS.  They just announced a new Kirby game for the regular DS, for example.  It wouldn't surprise me if they kept both systems on the market: the old DS for the installed user base and the 3DS for those who would be willing to buy it immediately.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By AuthenticM

I bet this is going to go exactly as the Wii went: everybody will go batshit crazy for it at release, and two months later the thing will be covered in dust.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Olivaw
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @Olivaw said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

@Willy105 said:
    Yes, but that's a two year contract with AT&T.  So it's $199 plus getting a nail pounded through your dick for two years.  Gotta take these things into account. "
    I've been on AT&T for three years now and I'm signing a new two year contract in December when I buy an iPhone.   People just like to bitch. "
    "Because I have never had a negative experience, everyone else must be whiny"
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#117  Edited By fox01313

$300 for this seems a bit much especially when it's way more than just getting the Wii instead. Can't wait for all that 3d tech in this to completely revolutionize the mynotebook series of games.

JuicyDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By JuicyDrop

I've seen it on TV last week. Well, I don't know... The guys were not allowed to show the display of this thing but they seemed to be really amused and excited about what they saw.  But the price,,,  The general idea is nice but isn't it a little bit too much for such a small thing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's crazy that handhelds are now more expensive than consoles.

I'm stoked that there's virtual console for GB and GBC games though. How about some GBA?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

300 no way, it's nice tech but not 300 dollar tech.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#121  Edited By PLWolf

I've got a DSLite. I'm good. Not dropping $300 on a handheld.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Diamond

Hardcore gamers will still be interested, but I think a lot of casuals will look at the 3DS and see modern consoles with better specs that have large libraries of games and are still supported that cost less and maybe not opt to buy the Nintendo handheld.

For many reasons, this scenario hasn't really come up in gaming for a long time, and never really for a Nintendo handheld.

jewball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By jewball

bummer i was hoping for 200

Kralle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Kralle

I once paid 300 bucks for an iPod, no problem

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Olivaw said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @Olivaw said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

@Willy105 said:
    I've been on AT&T for three years now and I'm signing a new two year contract in December when I buy an iPhone.   People just like to bitch. "
    "Because I have never had a negative experience, everyone else must be whiny" "
    Did I say that?

I know that plenty of people have had negative experiences with AT&T. I've had negative experiences with both AT&T and other carriers as well; nearly switched off of AT&T this summer.

None of that changes the fact that people still like to bitch.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#126  Edited By Kyle

I don't think it will cost $300 in the West. Nintendo will charge that in Japan because they know they can, but i would expect $249 in other regions. 

I will totally buy it either way. I would consider buying it even it wasn't 3D. A DS more powerful than a PSP? Sold. Glasses-free OPTIONAL 3D? Double-sold.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Diamond: Not only casuals.  I consider myself a "hardcore" gamer and it's weird to think that I could either get a PS3 or a 3DS for the same price.  I'll definitely be getting the 3DS, though.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#128  Edited By Kyle
    @fwylo said:
    " @Baljot187 said:
    " @fwylo said:
    By that retarded logic nothing in the world is expensive.   "
    Uhm.  Not sure how you can call math retarded as it is in fact... fact.  Judging by the impulsiveness of your response maybe you don't have the restraint to think things through before you make a decision.  So saving over the next 5 months would probably be out of the question.  Then when it comes time to buy one and all your friends have one and you want to play with them, you may or may not drop $300 on it and clear you current funds out.  Whilst the people saving still have money for whatever else.  So still not very retarded for the other people who saved.  I'd have to say that you my friend are the retarded one.  If you want something enough to save a mere $15 dollars a week for a few months it isn't a big deal. "

No Caption Provided
    Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Zohar

As long as I can transfer my "My Notebook" collection to it, I'm sold.

Oldcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Oldcheez

Looks sick tits. but 299$ is kinda brutal even for something thats supposed to be new and "cutting edge (ie: the 3d tech)".

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't think $300 is that bad. 

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#132  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

My guess is that the actual US price will probably actually be $249 or $199, but I'll be buying one even if it is released at $300.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#133  Edited By Jayross

I still don't own a PS3, so I really doubt I will spend the $300 on a DS instead. I would sooner buy an iPad (The new one will go for $400 I bet).

$200 is how much I paid for my iPhone, Nintendo seriously cannot expect me to shell out 300 clams for their portable system...

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By dvorak

I'm the kind of guy who just buys things like this when they come out without thinking. But this is the first thing in a long time that actually made me think about it. 

When applied to the regular consumer market, that should mean a lot.

akumous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By akumous

I am curious to see how this new priced hand held speaks with Nintento's market. This is one of the most expensive hand held console to date. People criticized Sony with its expensively priced PSP go and although they were other reasons why it did not do as forecasters predicted the price was one of those factors.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#136  Edited By meptron

too expensive. too ugly.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#137  Edited By halberdierv2

$300!? thats a much as a PS3, and im having plenty trouble to get that by itself! but a 3DS as well!? 600 dollars on consoles is a bit steep, yes. on another note....

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG NINTENDO TO BRING THE GAME BOY VIRTUAL CONSOLE!!?!?!??

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#138  Edited By demontium

So down.

Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Nunchuckles

Hopefully it'll be 250 when it comes to the states.  But I know it definitely will not be $200.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#140  Edited By MistaSparkle

For the games I play on DS I'm probably better off with a lite. I wonder how cheap those are now...

McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By McDunkin

Will probably grab a 3DS when the lite version comes out next christmas.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#142  Edited By Aaron_G

I don't think $299 will be the price in the US. It is way too much. 

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By s7evn

Hmm, a little to expensive for me to purchase. oh well, maybe when find tons of money lying around, then I could buy one.

zomgenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By zomgenius

I'm looking forward to the 3DS's release and seeing games being produced for it. That being said, though, I don't think I'll buy one, nor will I unless the price drops or at least three games I want badly enough come out for it. I don't particularly want to pay more than I did for my 360, even if it is 3D. I think I'm okay with my DSLite for now.

Unless Nintendo can somehow convince me more. xD

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Alex_Murphy

They can fuck off with a $300 price tag for a portable system.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By LiquidPrince

That's pretty damn expensive for a handheld and a Nintendo product.

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

Yeah... no one's gonna buy it for that price. Even though it does look sick as hell.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Did they not pay attention to the whole "I wont by a PSP for 300$" thing?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#149  Edited By MeatSim

At that price might as well just get a new console instead.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#150  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Toxin066 said:
    " That's about $100 more than I'm willing to pay. Bummer. =/ "
    Me too. $200 would have been perfect. For $300, you could get a Ps3 or 360. The 3DS is even more than the Wii. I thought Nintendo was going for the casual gamers for the past few years. They just lost those people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.