Nintendo 3DS Lite (Real or not? Photo inside)

#1 Edited by SuperPaperMarioXL (3 posts) -

Last night I got the following mail in my inbox:

Dear **********,
I wish to remain anonymous. My job is at risk if you will publish my name OR title.
My name is *********** and I'm a ******************** at NoA (Redmond office). *****Yada yada yada *job description here* yada yada yada. Don't want to mess around with this guy****
We had an important meeting today. Our head of department showed us a sneak peak of the new Nintendo 3DS Lite. I managed to take a photo of the PDF she was showing (see attachment). Key improvements: second Circle Pad, improved battery life, smaller and slightly thinner (while the screen dimensions stay the same). A final launch date was not mentioned. Mid June 2012 for now.
Best regards,

What do you guys think? The photo seems legit. No mr. Blurry Cam. On the other hand, somebody with some drawing skills could make this right?

#2 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Eh, it's not hard to fake. We'll see come March. Nintendo has been releasing a new DS model every year since 2009.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (24289 posts) -

That e-mail is hilariously fake.

#4 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Seems unlikely. The start and select buttons are on the wrong side.

#5 Posted by Dogma (945 posts) -

Why did YOU get that mail in your inbox?

#6 Posted by SuperPaperMarioXL (3 posts) -
#7 Posted by 71Ranchero (2733 posts) -

1 post, green text, Mario in the name, and a 'leaked" pic that came to "his" inbox.

Calling it, this ones 100% legit.

#8 Posted by Anthony (233 posts) -

"I wish to remain anonymous, therefore, here is my name"

#9 Posted by SuperPaperMarioXL (3 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

1 post, green text, Mario in the name, and a 'leaked" pic that came to "his" inbox.

Calling it, this ones 100% legit.

That's me. I'm not sending this mail.

#10 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Fake. And a pretty crappy fake too. Things missing

No 3D Slider

Someone pointed it out, Start and Select are on the wrong side

The Analog pad on the left is below the D-pad, not like it is on the 3DS now and would be more uncomfortable if placed below it.

#11 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

Why would the move the left slide pad down below the D-pad? That makes no sense from either a comfort or design standpoint. That alone is enough to assume this is fake, IMO.

#12 Posted by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -

It looks like the least comfortable thing ever created.

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Thanks for the breaking news, snitch!

#14 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I like that they put the circle pads on the same height. It would've been retarded to keep the circle pad over the d-pad and the other under the buttons.

As a day 1 3DS buyer, I wouldn't be upset if this was true.

#15 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

HAND CRAMPS!

#16 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

true! this is gonna happen sooner or later but i doubt the email is legit

#17 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

@Anthony said:

"I wish to remain anonymous, therefore, here is my name"

We are Anonymous, AKA John Baker Schmidt. We are legion.

Crap!

#18 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -

lol... also you forgot the L and R button on your fake 3DS lite image

#19 Posted by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -
@Jack268

I like that they put the circle pads on the same height. It would've been retarded to keep the circle pad over the d-pad and the other under the buttons.

Umm... That's how the layout is on the Xbox 360 controller? And the GameCube controller? Or was that the point you were trying to make.

But yeah, no 3D slider. You think that'd be pretty important to show on your secret concept diagram.
#20 Posted by Beb (243 posts) -

Also, it seems unlikely they will call a 3DS upgrade a 'Lite' since it definitely won't be smaller or lighter.

#21 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

OLED bottom screen

bullshit

#22 Posted by lord_canti (1507 posts) -

oled screen i don't think so

#23 Posted by DeF (4852 posts) -

@SuperPaperMarioXL said:

I'm working for a Dutch game site. But I do not want to post this before I know for sure it's real. Bigger photo: http://i43.tinypic.com/a4v13a.jpg

if you want easy hits, post it. but it will turn out to be fake.

they wouldn't flip the d-pad with the circle pad and they most definitely will not put in two OLED screens. it's just not how they roll.

plus: @Zor said:

lol... also you forgot the L and R button on your fake 3DS lite image

this :)

#24 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

@Beb said:

Also, it seems unlikely they will call a 3DS upgrade a 'Lite' since it definitely won't be smaller or lighter.

It's gonna be the 3DS duo, thus muddling up the dual screen thing even more.

#25 Edited by JasonR86 (9653 posts) -

@SuperPaperMarioXL:

Why would an insider put their job on the line to e-mail you, who I'm assuming isn't really involved in video games besides being a consumer, a diagram of a new 3DS?

EDIT:

Oh, Dutch website.

I don't know. You can post it if you want but my guess would be that it is fake.

#26 Edited by LaserLambert (167 posts) -

can OLED do 3D? I thought that was just LCD, but I could be wrong, anyway if they were to move anything they would probably put the circle pads at the top and not the bottom, since that is the layout of the WiiU.

two inside cameras would be cool, but adding a second camera, a second circlepad, and presumably a bigger battery wouldn't make the system much 'lite'er would it?

#27 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo said:

@Jack268

Umm... That's how the layout is on the Xbox 360 controller? And the GameCube controller? Or was that the point you were trying to make. But yeah, no 3D slider. You think that'd be pretty important to show on your secret concept diagram.

Oh yeah, but I don't think that kind of layout would work out on the flat body of the 3DS. I have to admit, the current model gives me cramps after a while, and just imagining holding my fingers like that on it is giving me a cramp right now.

There's probably an even more elegant solution to it to be honest. I think the body of the 3DS needs to be rounder or something. Definitely think they should go for an XL version instead of lite as well, to improve battery life and make it more comfortable until they can cram all this tech in a smaller space.

And someone mentioned the 3D slider not being present: Considering the fact that the 3D status light thing has been moved to the left on the console, I think it'd be safe to assume the slider has also been moved over there. That is, assuming this model has any basis in reality.

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

FAKE, the reason they called it the lite was because the original DS didn't have a back light, also because they made it lighter. It was a play on words, they would not do the same name again.

#29 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

FAKE, the reason they called it the lite was because the original DS didn't have a back light, also because they made it lighter. It was a play on words, they would not do the same name again.

The original DS did have a backlight. I know, I have one...

Anyway, I'm going to throw my vote in with "fake". It's not difficult to tell after a quick glance. Uncomfortable looking, misplaced Start/Select buttons, OLED bottom screen, no 3D slider, and no L/R buttons.

#30 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

@SuperPaperMarioXL: Did you really just say that the photo seems legit? Its a drawing you realize that right?

#31 Posted by djames216 (369 posts) -

This seems highly unlikely. Aside from the hilariously unconvincing email that alludes to, there's just no way that Nintendo would be stupid enough to split their user base by adding a second Circle Pad. I'm sure they kinda wish they had put a second Circle Pad in from the start but it's too late for that now without fragmenting sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.