Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo Holds Hour-Long Press Conference to Announce Monster Hunter 4

• 154 results
    Capella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By Capella

@NaCl: I think we're talking about different things. I was responding to the article's "where are the games for everyone else?" and the tone of brushing off the games that were talked about, which doesn't imply so much that the 3DS is past saving and no quality or quantity of software announcements for it will save it, which is what you seem to be saying, but rather that the software Nintendo discussed was inadequate somehow. I'd say that it's completely possible that the 3DS is doomed, but some good games will come out for it before the end, and there are people who would like to know about those games.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#102  Edited By Marz

so more games are going to support the circle pad than just monster hunter,  i'm guessing there's a revision of the 3DS that will come with a second analog pad built in probably in the second iteration of the system.  Think I'll wait for that 3DS before i spend any money on one.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Is it just me, or does the design for the add-on look awfully cumbersome/uncomfortable? Maybe it'll change, but I still can't see how they'd make it any easier to reach over for the face buttons... But, hey, whatever, Monster Hunter! Sweet! Gimme!

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Love the Monster Hunter series, but I think I'm pretty much done with it since it started getting on Nintendo's hardware.

Tom_Shaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Tom_Shaw

Did people really expect a new 3DS revision to be announced? Nintendo has massive production capacity tied to the existing model that they can't possibly retool for Christmas sales. Their only options were:

1) Pretend 3DS.1 won't exist until consumers purchase the stock they've produced for Holiday 2011.

2) Announce 3DS.1, stop sales on the existing model (or sell at a deep discount), restart sales on the new revision in some number of months when production has restarted, and take a bath this holiday season.

Clearly, the only option for Nintendo to pick was #1. Just like the only option consumers should pick is to avoid buying the system until they can get the new revision.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By AngelN7
    @l3reak: what? those games are for weird people! it needs to be a FPS or a TPS those are the games for everybody , look at this guy talking about RPGs strategy games and weird fun arcade-y Japanese games  /sarcasm
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#107  Edited By MeatSim

I can't remember the last time I needed to carry AAA battery's for something.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ikwal

It seems like most handheld consoles are ending up mostly getting a bunch of ports and remakes, and I can't really justify being excited about a port no matter how good the original game was, it just somehow seems wrong to me. If I wanted to play those games I would have played them when they were new.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#109  Edited By jimi

If the Vita doesn't have something comparable in the monster hunter department Nintendo has already won japan.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#110  Edited By Commisar123

and still no reason to buy a 3ds.......

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By sonicrift

Alex Navarro said it best. "Also, straight up, if you play Monster Hunter, we can't be friends."

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Mmmslash

As a huge Monster hunter fan, but a pretty staunch anti-3DS and anti-Sega style hardware addons, this breaks my fucking heart.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Raineko

I have pretty much played MHF2, MHP2G, MHP3 and MHTri to death but MH4 looks pretty cool so Im gonna get that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#114  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wait, Fire Emblem? Is it the same one that came out for the DS in japan more than a year ago? Are they porting it up to the 3DS in order to screw me over? Or are they just skipping it entirely? GIVE ME ANSWERS KLEPEK.

Law313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Law313

@Hailinel said:

@Whizbang said:

Japan is a dead culture, Nintendo is a creatively dead company.

Ignorant, or racist? You decide!

Neither. He speaks the truth. Devs aren't innovating, worldwide. And Nintendo is surviving SOLELY on the Japanese market and Westerners that will buy anything Nintendo puts out regardless of how INSANE it is. Monster Hunter 4 is announced and the Vita should be worried? Not in a sane world it shouldn't. Actually, MH being a system seller in ANY world is mind boggling.

Law313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Law313

@Jimi said:

If the Vita doesn't have something comparable in the monster hunter department Nintendo has already won japan.

Which may be true. Regardless, that's just sad. And is a perfect example of why I might stop buying video games. The consumers are fucked in the mind.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#117  Edited By Bollard

Wait I'm confused, MHTri3G is a different game to MH4 yes? But both are on 3DS?

I am HYPED. Also so glad to see Paper Mario again! And Animal Crossing. Also can add Mario Tennis to my Mario collection for the 3DS. Basically the only good games coming out.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By GreggD

@AngelN7 said:

@l3reak: what? those games are for weird people! it needs to be a FPS or a TPS those are the games for everybody , look at this guy talking about RPGs strategy games and weird fun arcade-y Japanese games /sarcasm

Oh, shut up. The average GB user likes all of the stuff you mentioned, except for maybe the Japanese part. I know I do, and the forums would beg to differ with you.

Capella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Capella

@ArbitraryWater: No, it's an entirely new Fire Emblem game. The second DS Fire Emblem game still seems to be staying in Japan.

TiE23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#120  Edited By TiE23

@sonicrift said:

Alex Navarro said it best. "Also, straight up, if you play Monster Hunter, we can't be friends."

My favorite games are Battlefield. I've played the Portal games multiple times. I've spent a lot of time in Garry's Mod. In my youth I made a few UT2003 maps. I've never finished a Zelda game. I enjoyed FFXIII. I love Elder Scrolls. I've played the Crysis games. I really like Mirror's Edge. I play Frozen Synapse and Total War Shogun 2 on a regular basis now...

And I'm a sucker for Monster Hunter. I want to play some god damn coop with a friend over the internet on my Vita this time next year.

When you cut me, do I not bleed?

Damn your ignorant heart, Alex Navarro! *shake fist and shout into the sky*

(lol)

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#121  Edited By endaround
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#122  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@endaround said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Wait, Fire Emblem? Is it the same one that came out for the DS in japan more than a year ago? Are they porting it up to the 3DS in order to screw me over? Or are they just skipping it entirely? GIVE ME ANSWERS KLEPEK.

Yep new game with screen shots and everything

http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2011/09/13/fire_emblem_3ds_screens/

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUck. Nintendo. Well, I guess that means I'm going to have to get a 3DS at some point, which saddens me greatly. Also, it means that I'll have to play Shin Monshou no Nazo on an emulator with a translation patch. Bleh.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@AngelN7 said:

@l3reak: what? those games are for weird people! it needs to be a FPS or a TPS those are the games for everybody , look at this guy talking about RPGs strategy games and weird fun arcade-y Japanese games /sarcasm

Try looking at some of the most popular games on Steam right now.. The Witcher 2, Deus Ex, Civilization V, Terreria, Skyrim, Worms, Rock of Ages, Tropico 4.. (RPG, RPG, strategy, weird fun arcade-ything, RPG, weird fun arcade-y thing, weird fun arcade-y thing and another strategy game)

Yes, clearly people here only play First and Third Person Shooters. Nothing to do with these games just announced at TGS being antiquated, rehashed relics. No sir, not at all.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By citizenjp

Hmmm =/

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#125  Edited By benderunit22

I don't understand why Capcom flocks to the platforms with the worst possible online integration, especially when Tri didn't even sell all that well (compared to how well it always does on the PSP).

The concept behind Monster Hunter is a fairly addictive one, the main gripe would be the clumsy controls of the 1-stick PSP. If you put this on a PS3 that has a proper controller, a functional online service and a large install base in Japan, I'd put money down it would sell better in Japan than Tri did world-wide.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By Enigma777

Yup, it doesn't look like I'm getting a 3DS anytime soon.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Raineko

@WinterSnowblind said:

@DrKunze said:

Why Capcom, WHY?

Isn't MH big enough to warrant a nice shiny PS3 release? Or even a new MMO? You greedy bastards!

No. It's only big in Japan and creating a PS3 game would be incredibly expensive and time consuming.

And sorry, but these Japanese titles do little to increase my confidence about my 3DS purchase. I enjoy the MH series somewhat, but I can understand why it doesn't sell in the west. It's uses very dated mechanics and focuses 100% on grinding, something that should never be seen in another game ever again.

Grinding? You mean like in Diablo 3?

I have played MH forever and I think the game engine is very solid and the control scheme with every weapon works but takes some time to master. And playing MH with 3 friends is fucking great.

NaCl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By NaCl

@Capella said:

@NaCl: I think we're talking about different things. I was responding to the article's "where are the games for everyone else?" and the tone of brushing off the games that were talked about, which doesn't imply so much that the 3DS is past saving and no quality or quantity of software announcements for it will save it, which is what you seem to be saying, but rather that the software Nintendo discussed was inadequate somehow. I'd say that it's completely possible that the 3DS is doomed, but some good games will come out for it before the end, and there are people who would like to know about those games.

I'm just stating that the 3DS's "predicament" is kind of overshadowing most of the other announcements related to it.

It's like doing articles on which HD-DVDs will soon be available, when >60% of the movie industry has already sided with Bluray.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Raineko: Not really. In Diablo you keep playing to get better and better loot, which is grinding to an extent, but generally you aren't looking for any specific items and it doesn't matter what you happen to find.

In Monster Hunter, it becomes impossible to progress until you've crafted specific weapons and armour.. which involves fighting the same monsters over and over and over again, until you get the right drops from them. I somewhat enjoy the games with friends as well, but they're very tedious and there's definitely a reason the series hasn't become popular in the west and it's nothing to do with a lack of patience or understanding. There's nothing strategic or melodic about Monster Hunter, as some fans would argue. It's just grinding, learning patterns and more grinding.

If you enjoy the games, great. I just hate the idea that some have of the game being more than it actually is. That goes for Diablo as well, it's mindless hack and slashing. The difference is I've never seen anyone pretend Diablo is some kind of deep and complex experience.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Bumpton

@WinterSnowblind said:

@AngelN7 said:

Try looking at some of the most popular games on Steam right now.. The Witcher 2, Deus Ex, Civilization V, Terreria, Skyrim, Worms, Rock of Ages, Tropico 4.. (RPG, RPG, strategy, weird fun arcade-ything, RPG, weird fun arcade-y thing, weird fun arcade-y thing and another strategy game)

Yes, clearly people here only play First and Third Person Shooters. Nothing to do with these games just announced at TGS being antiquated, rehashed relics. No sir, not at all.

Hah, I take it you missed that last part of his message.

sandweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#131  Edited By sandweed

Another Mario game? Oh Boy!

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#132  Edited By zor

Hmm... Patrick's snide remarks are starting to turn me off from this site... well, the news section of it at least. I don't mind some opinion remarks being added to a story, but when they start to over power the actually story, it makes me feel like they are no longer reporting the news, but just what they want people to believe is the news.

So, I know it isn't my place to ask, but Patrick, could you tone down the snide remarks in your articles please?

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ModernAlkemie

The second circle pad business has just bolstered my resolve to wait for the next hardware iteration.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By AngelN7
    @GreggD said:

@AngelN7 said:

Oh, shut up. The average GB user likes all of the stuff you mentioned, except for maybe the Japanese part. I know I do, and the forums would beg to differ with you.

You aparently miss the /sarcasm part, and while I agree a lot of people like those games ,saying something like "where are the games for everybody" isn´t the best way to show it , every games has its audience, but some people are hell bent of not wanting to know anything about those game even tought you can easily ignore wich news you don´t care.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#135  Edited By Willy105

@sandweed said:

Another Mario game? Oh Boy!

It's hard to spin this as a bad thing in any universe.

@Law313 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Whizbang said:

Neither. He speaks the truth. Devs aren't innovating, worldwide. And Nintendo is surviving SOLELY on the Japanese market and Westerners that will buy anything Nintendo puts out regardless of how INSANE it is. Monster Hunter 4 is announced and the Vita should be worried? Not in a sane world it shouldn't. Actually, MH being a system seller in ANY world is mind boggling.

Not really. Just like Pokemon and Call of Duty. People buy systems that have the games they want to play, and a huge country wants to play Monster Hunter.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By sirdesmond

@Hailinel said:

@Whizbang said:

Considering, Japan and being Japanese is a nationality, not a race. I would say that he is probably just being ignorant.

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#137  Edited By ChrisInCali

-Shit battery life.

-Small, low-res screens.

-Borderline unfinished hardware design.

-$40 Rehash games.

-$20 band-aid second analog add-on.

-Obvious superior revision coming next year.

-Garbage "online," which is barely even there at all.

-Wasteland eShop with old late 80's Gameboy titles.

-3D effect that is ruined if you don't hold the system perfectly still, and if the perfect position. Negating most gyro or AR based gameplay.

-Region locked.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By GreggD

@AngelN7 said:

@GreggD said:

@AngelN7 said:

You aparently miss the /sarcasm part, and while I agree a lot of people like those games ,saying something like "where are the games for everybody" isn´t the best way to show it , every games has its audience, but some people are hell bent of not wanting to know anything about those game even tought you can easily ignore wich news you don´t care.

Actually, I did see the sarcasm part, which is why I said what I did. You were implying that the gaming community wants all the things you were being sarcastic about. Try to think about how you word things, to make them more in line with your actual feelings.

Also:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@AngelN7 said:

^This sums up how I feel about all of this.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#139  Edited By MjHealy

I was tempted to pick up the 3DS this holiday but I think I might wait. If the battery life is so shitty and if this second stick is supposedly getting but into the 3DS Lite (?), I shall wait.

Also... DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT WITH ANIMAL CROSSING NINTENDO!

Kirbichu54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#140  Edited By Kirbichu54

HATSUNE MIKU

NEW LOVE PLUS

DAMN YOU REGION LOCK

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By IamTerics

Monster Hunter is cool. It is a great marketing strategy (for Japan).

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#142  Edited By Dreamfall31

I will buy a 3DS when it had good games AND a Lite version with a second stick!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#143  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @ArbitraryWater said:

@endaround said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Yep new game with screen shots and everything

http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2011/09/13/fire_emblem_3ds_screens/

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUck. Nintendo. Well, I guess that means I'm going to have to get a 3DS at some point, which saddens me greatly. Also, it means that I'll have to play Shin Monshou no Nazo on an emulator with a translation patch. Bleh.

Do not be so hasty. I won't get a 3DS until I hear word that that Fire Emblem gets an English localization. Also, the new one's looking a bit weird, at least judging by the screenshots. Seems a bit cartoony.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By MrKlorox

Bravely Default? That is one squarenix-ass-squarenix title. God I hate them.

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

"Nintendo keeps the focus on Japan, worshipping at the altar of Monster Hunter."

True, but keep in mind, that's a MAJOR coup over there. Every other issue there compared to here are very similar.
    Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#146  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

As a "3DS Single Analog Stick" Ambassador, I got to be honest, this is fucked up. That add-on looks like something put out by Pelican or one of those other shitty 3rd party peripheral makers, not a 1st party hardware company. And yeah, you just know in 6-8 months they'll announce a new hardware revision that adds it to the system.

Note to Nintendo: You have lost an early hardware adopter here.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Cold_Wolven

The Monster Hunter games never appealed to me, not exactly an announcement I'm jumping out of my seat for but I guess that's Nintendo's point that this game is trying to capture the Japanese audience more. That analogue add on looks goofy but the price is surprisingly good.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By UnrealDP

Wow, monster hunter for a handheld huh....good to see Nintendo taking risks with this one, well there will be animal crossing which i can at least enjoy.

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By punpun

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Raineko: In Monster Hunter, it becomes impossible to progress until you've crafted specific weapons and armour.. which involves fighting the same monsters over and over and over again, until you get the right drops from them. I somewhat enjoy the games with friends as well, but they're very tedious and there's definitely a reason the series hasn't become popular in the west and it's nothing to do with a lack of patience or understanding. There's nothing strategic or melodic about Monster Hunter, as some fans would argue. It's just grinding, learning patterns and more grinding.

Eh, farming for weapons and armor isn't that bad. In Monster Hunter, it's the skills that are on the armor that matter, not the armor rating itself, and you rarely ever need to craft an entire set to get the skills you're looking for. You can mix and match different pieces from different sets, put on pieces of armor that increase the effects of whatever other armor you're wearing(these are easily crafted/purchased early on), and take advantage of charms and decorations. And all it takes is one decent set to get you through hours and hours of content. Hell, you could probably beat the game naked if you were good enough.

That aside, I've put thousands of hours into Tri and Freedom Unite myself, and I have fought a lot of the same monsters over and over again, but it's never felt like tedious grinding to me. The game is just so much damn fun to play(especially with other people), and there are so many different ways that you can prepare for and approach a fight. I've done pretty much everything there is to do and gotten almost everything there is to get in Tri, and I still occasionally go back to it. Adrenaline piercing Jho, Punishing Draw GSing Alatreon, hammering the Raths. Still a blast.

I'm not going to try and make Monster Hunter out to be more than it really is, or argue that if you don't like Monster Hunter you're just not "getting" it. Saying "it's just grinding, learning patterns and more grinding." though, is a HUGE oversimplification.

circle_of_iron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By circle_of_iron

Finally some games... and get me some Fire Emblem... and some of that MH4 too please!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.