Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo of America Silent About Circle Pad Add-On

• 73 results
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@martez87: I've owned a 3DS since launch and will disagree with everything you said.

The launch was a complete disaster, it was expensive, lacked any real games and was marketed poorly - most non-gamers who were into Nintendo thanks to the Wii and DS thought the thing was nothing more than another "Lite" or "XL" with 3D tacked on. The price drop caused such anger because those of us who did support Nintendo through their bad launch had to sit around twiddling our thumbs, while those who decided to wait and pick up the system when it's cheap were the ones who were rewarded. A handful of games from 2 decades ago didn't really do anything to help.

The add-on is causing such up roar now, because once again it's Nintendo acknowledging what a poor job they've done with the system and are forced to release a terrible looking add-on just so the thing stands any chance of competing with the Vita. It also very likely means we can expect a completely redesigned model next year (yeah, you maybe should have thought twice about buying one at this stage).

And before anyone mentions it, yes, it's my fault for picking up the system early. I'm not blaming Nintendo for my choices, I'm blaming them for their terrible support of the system. They don't have to do anything to "make it up to us" it just means they've screwed over their most hardcore supports, just before they're about to release their next big system. This is something that will affect them negatively in the long run.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ryanwho

Now people not saying something is news. Nothing can stop Pat from trolling Nintendo if even the absence of a press release gets its own article.

martez87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By martez87
    @WinterSnowblind: Well like I said in my original post, it has been a messy and rushed launch period (See we agree on something :) ) and I'm not trying to acquit Nintendo of the blame, its just that the negativity is a bit over the top. No one could have foreseen the 3DSs poor performance and subsequent price drop. Everybody thought that it would be a great success. I can understand that you'd be pissed having spent a lot of money and then the price drops, but what were they supposed to do? Keep the high price point to spare the feelings of early adopters? Nintendo had no choice but to drop the price. The reason that I held off on buying one was because it was too expensive for me. It would suck being in your shoes but that's the unfortunate price you pay for early adoption, it just happened quicker than usual.

As for the addon, I have no current plans to purchase it. It wasn't something that I thought about when I bought it. I don't really see the appeal of playing console style games on a handheld, but thats just me. I basically bought it because I liked the DS and had the money, if I didn't buy it at the time I would probably spend the cash in the pub instead :)

Anyway, not trying to get into a fight with you, just all the extreme negativity over something so small (Thumbstick) is a bit silly to me.

Peace.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By zombie2011

they had years to learn from the mistakes of the PSP and they still only shipped with on stick. Fucking idiots.

vexidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By vexidus

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't buy a 3DS yet.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#56  Edited By MeatSim

You know there gonna do a new model of 3DS with this already added on if a lot games actually use this.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By RuthLoose

All of this Internet bitching really makes me wonder what the world's reaction to the 32X addition for the SEGA Genesis would have been had there been mass message boards activity around in 1994/5.

Don't even get me started on the Game Gear's glorious add-ons.

No Caption Provided
    enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By enemymouse

Reminds me of orthodontic headgear.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By yukoasho

@Kael said:

I'm still having a hard time realizing that this add-on is actually real. It's bizarre. Has there ever been an add-on for an additional input before? Usually it's stuff like card readers, printers, cameras, and rumble packs--one-off gimmicks for certain games, not buttons and analog sticks, as though they totally forgot to put them in the system to start with. So very weird.

Well, these have certainly been interesting times for gaming. This is just the latest in a long line of unimaginable firsts that we've seen these last five or so years.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By prestonhedges

"Good evening. Today is Good Friday. There is no news."- Live Radio BBC Broadcast on April 18th, 1930.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

what i don't understand is why the need for a second pad if these games were primarily PSP games that were already being played with one stick? it just doesn't make any sense. shouldn't the game work fine with the controls that the system has already? isn't the point of having the touch screen is so you don't need another stick? all the 3ds games i've been playing didn't need one. we didn't even ask for one. we were just happy the price went down and that some good games are coming. this is such an odd business move.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By mariokart64fan

ok first everyone crys about second analog on psp and 3ds, but now that nintendo answers the call (as usual) they get slammed by haters, --- this isnt the first time either,

people are the one who asked for somthing such as online ---they got it , they got core games-dkc4 goldeneye red steel red steel 2 zack and wiki manhunt 2 bully se etc etc , and they still complain , complain left and right, and now that 3ds finally has somthing coming people still whine and complain ,, grow up yall asked for it , (they say careful what you wish for) well that applys here!

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By generic_username
    @Enigma777 said:

@Atramentous said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Atramentous said:

Its 20 bucks and optional. Get over it.

Optional for now... Doubt it will be the same a year or two from now though.

People bought new models of the old DS with less improvements then a second analog stick. Also....just use your original one if you dont want it.

Just because some people did it doesn't make it right. Early adopters already got screwed over massively with the price cut and this is just insult to injury. If anything, it's going to teach people not to buy Nintendo hardware on launch.

Makes me curious if the WiiU will flop on launch...

Yeah. I'm really annoyed about it. I'm frustrated about my expensive hardware being made obsolete so soon. When the redesign comes out, and sells better that this one, it's going to be a requirement to play the games, or at the very least, most games are going to be designed with it in mind, so they'll be complete ass without it. Ugh.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By coakroach

I had nothing to say about that add on too so I can sympathize.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BlatantNinja23

this simply only brings me sadness... mainly because somehow ill end up buying one

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Wolverine

That has to be the most ridiculous accessory that I have ever seen.

martez87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By martez87

@Wolverine said:

That has to be the most ridiculous accessory that I have ever seen.

Maybe the 2nd most...

No Caption Provided
    Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Rheinmetall

@vexidus: Me too! And I will think it very seriously if I'm ever going to buy one.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By Aaron_G
    Avatar image for salfenergy_1337
    SalfEnergy_1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SalfEnergy_1337

I might wait for the next 3DS, like a 3DS XL.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Contro
    mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mgray5159

Maybe I can snowboard on that thing now.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Contro
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.