Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo Slashes 3DS Price to $169.99, Early Adopters Get Free Games

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

3DS has not lit the world on fire in the same way DS did. You can blame your smartphone for that. When DS launched, devices like the iPhone did not exist. Decent video games were not available for your mobile phone!

That's all changed, and Nintendo's glasses-free 3D gimmick hasn't been enough to sway customers to drop $249.99 for its new handheld.

Maybe they'll pay $169.99, though, which is the new retail price of 3DS, effective August 12.

Nintendo also confirmed release months for Super Mario 3D Land (November) and Mario Kart 7 (December). Wait, Mario Kart...7? Really? I wouldn't be surprised if that one changed before release.

If you (like me) already bought a 3DS and are cringing, Nintendo's hoping to appease early adopters with the "3DS Ambassador" program, which roughly translated into English means "free stuff."

First, you'll gain access to 10 free Virtual Console games from the NES era, including Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda. The others five aren't known, and all ten will become publicly available for purchase at a later date.

Additionally, Nintendo's offering up another 10 free Game Boy Advance titles. The games include Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit,Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong. The other five weren't listed, but that's a hell of a list already.

Strangely, Nintendo claims these free GBA titles won't be made available to everyone else.

"Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future," reads the press release.

More details about the program are to be announced, but Nintendo's only requirement is that players connect to the eShop before 11:59 p.m. EST on August 11. Before the price drop, basically.

Sony can't be very happy about this aggressive move. Many did not expect the company to hit a $249.99 price point for Vita.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

3DS has not lit the world on fire in the same way DS did. You can blame your smartphone for that. When DS launched, devices like the iPhone did not exist. Decent video games were not available for your mobile phone!

That's all changed, and Nintendo's glasses-free 3D gimmick hasn't been enough to sway customers to drop $249.99 for its new handheld.

Maybe they'll pay $169.99, though, which is the new retail price of 3DS, effective August 12.

Nintendo also confirmed release months for Super Mario 3D Land (November) and Mario Kart 7 (December). Wait, Mario Kart...7? Really? I wouldn't be surprised if that one changed before release.

If you (like me) already bought a 3DS and are cringing, Nintendo's hoping to appease early adopters with the "3DS Ambassador" program, which roughly translated into English means "free stuff."

First, you'll gain access to 10 free Virtual Console games from the NES era, including Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda. The others five aren't known, and all ten will become publicly available for purchase at a later date.

Additionally, Nintendo's offering up another 10 free Game Boy Advance titles. The games include Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit,Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong. The other five weren't listed, but that's a hell of a list already.

Strangely, Nintendo claims these free GBA titles won't be made available to everyone else.

"Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future," reads the press release.

More details about the program are to be announced, but Nintendo's only requirement is that players connect to the eShop before 11:59 p.m. EST on August 11. Before the price drop, basically.

Sony can't be very happy about this aggressive move. Many did not expect the company to hit a $249.99 price point for Vita.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sanity

Gonna get one this year then, thats cheap!

Edit: Also yay for me getting that stupid quest people kill themselves over without trying or without being a moron!

Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jonathan

Awesome! Really glad they aren't simply ignoring us early adopters.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By s-a-n-JR

$149? I've been hearing $169 from other sites.

Armor42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Armor42

Don't you mean $169?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Sanj said:

$149? I've been hearing $169 from other sites.

Same.
    Patrick, you wrong.
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By patrickklepek

Yeah, my bad. What I get for writing this at 2AM after playing Catherine for an hour.

mrzeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By mrzeal

It seems it didn't work quite well for them... well, I'll check the 3DS August 12 then... xD

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By CoinMatze

Ack! I actually read that instead of just posting something stupid fast. What is wrong with me. :( Yeah, yeah, that's a tempting price. I still need Layton vs. Phoenix Wright before I buy one.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By scarace360

ok im gonna buy one when they drop the price.

skinnyluigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skinnyluigi

late night post by patrick klepeck. does he have his brain hooked up to game news or what

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shaanyboi

NOT BAD. 20 free VC games seems like compensation enough for being an early adopter, sure!

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By patrickklepek

@skinnyluigi said:

late night post by patrick klepeck. does he have his brain hooked up to game news or what

What do you think the curls are for?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sanity

Hmm... well 170 still isn't bad, think i will get one this winter.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By piropeople13

Now little kids can afford it with a few months of allowance and it falls into the range of christmas/birthday gift prices.  And little kids don't have their own smartphones because of data plans.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sooperspy
    @patrickklepek said:

Yeah, my bad. What I get for writing this at 2AM after playing Catherine for an hour.

Catherine (Or Katherine) has got your mind all jumbled up.
    lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lclay

Hurray free stuff!

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By asurastrike

@scarace360 said:

FUCK YA IM GOING OUT TOMORROW TO BUY ONE!

lol, did you read the article? Or am I being trolled?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Asurastrike said:

@scarace360 said:

Maybe he wants the free games?
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By scarace360
    @Asurastrike said:

@scarace360 said:

never read always post!
    Otrebor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Otrebor

@scarace360: The price drop occurs on August 12

notorietyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By notorietyh

This might tempt me to pick one up. Pretty big price drop, pretty fast too. Sony won't be too impressed. Just when they thought they'd got their pricing right.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dbz1995
    @patrickklepek said:

How is Catherine?

Also, great! Now I might actually buy one after my birthday
    matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matoya

Any drop for Europe, or are we just expected to take another shot in the ass?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@NotorietyH said:

This might tempt me to pick one up. Pretty big price drop, pretty fast too. Sony won't be too impressed. Just when they thought they'd got their pricing right.

Are you kidding? Nintendo was just forced by terrible reception, and probably to an extent the competitive Vita pricing, to drop their price by nearly $100 (with tax here in the states) for the 3DS. I'd say Sony sees that as a damned good thing, especially considering how Nintendo tends to make money. If they dropped the price that much, they won't be making much from hardware. Less then half the margin per unit, if I remember the production prices correctly.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By ptys

I'm interested in how many held off due to the hardware design, which is the case with me. I plan to buy one as I think it's a really good platform to play retro, indie and past gen. games which seem a bit thinly spread on HD real estate, but I want a slicker design.

OsvaldoMoreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OsvaldoMoreno

At this price, I'm getting one of those at my next pay. Or even now, considering that 20 games are coming free before august 12... Unless it's one game per NES/GBA era.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EgoCheck616

I can't feel bad about this as an early adopter. I've managed to get a ton of mileage from my 3DS and do not regret the purchase one bit. And free games? Bring 'em on!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Still not biting. Sorry, Ninty.

It's not the price of the system or your games, it's how much I care to carry in my pocket and if I'm gonna be playing this at home I'm not going to confine myself to a tiny screen, 3D or not.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@NotorietyH said:

Are you kidding? Nintendo was just forced by terrible reception, and probably to an extent the competitive Vita pricing, to drop their price by nearly $100 (with tax here in the states) for the 3DS. I'd say Sony sees that as a damned good thing, especially considering how Nintendo tends to make money. If they dropped the price that much, they won't be making much from hardware. Less then half the margin per unit, if I remember the production prices correctly.

Also, on behalf of those who DID buy the system early, I would like to issue a statement of Fuck You Nintendo.

Really, 20 old ass games is what you give for an AWFUL launch and rather rapidly dropping the price by that much? How are people raging that you get to pick from full, contemporary ass video games for the PS3 stuff but Nintendo gives stuff you can download and emulate in a heart beat just as free as you can get em through the 3DS if you don't count the cost of the 3DS and so far all I've seen is @Jonathan said:

Awesome! Really glad they aren't simply ignoring us early adopters.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silver-Streak

I'm starting to wonder if someone at Whiskey Media has Patrick literally chained to the office. Someone let that man get some sleep!

xeroxkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xeroxkitty

I hope they'll drop the price in Britain too :)
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Xeiphyer

Some actually fun games in there, so I guess that's an alright way to appease early adopters. Good thing too, thats a serious price cut.

notorietyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By notorietyh

@MordeaniisChaos: No i'm not kidding. Sony find themselves with another piece of hardware that's nearly $100 more expensive than it's competitor, rather than releasing the competitively priced product they intended. I think they'll be nervous that the handheld market doesn't seem to be as strong as it once was either. It could also affect initial sales too, some people might hold off buying one at launch because "the 3DS dropped in price so fast," So I think Sony, while pleased that the 3DS isn't selling gangbusters in a competitive sense, will be worried what it means for Vita sales.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Legend

Wow, I should've waited..

claudius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By claudius

Oh wow. I thought something like this might happen due to the poor sales and launch of the Vita but I thought it wasn't going to happen until closer to the holidays. Unfortunately I am still not interested in buying one until there are more good games for it, but nice try Nintendo.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Ooh, that's a hot price.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Bollard
    @Shaanyboi said:

NOT BAD. 20 free VC games seems like compensation enough for being an early adopter, sure!

I hope so! This better be a worldwide thing too, or Europeans are getting screwed. As usual. The eShop has already outpriced itself with a near 1-1 exchange rate to the dollar. These freebies might be the only thing I get from the store. 

Also, pretty meh about this, the games I want (Mario Kart, 3D Land, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario) are all coming out later this year, so I could have held off and not got it yet >.> ffs Nintendo. They should actually just give us Mario Kart and 3D Land free, that'd be a better deal of comparable value. 

Ah well, I think Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 has Super Mario World on it, so that'll keep me happy for weeks.
    Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shaanyboi

@OsvaldoMoreno said:

At this price, I'm getting one of those at my next pay. Or even now, considering that 20 games are coming free before august 12... Unless it's one game per NES/GBA era.

They're not coming BEFORE August 12th. You need to access the eShop before that date to be counted. When they start releasing them as of September 1st, THEN they'll be free.

LiquidPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By LiquidPenguins

Are you fucking kidding me?

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dreamfall31

wow...if it gets some more stellar games I may get it. I was 100% Vita during E3 week, but thinking about it more I don't need it at all. I barely touch my PSP and it had some games I really wanted to play. So 3DS is a maybe, if there are more great games!

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By Eribuster

The 20 free download games probably amounts to the US$80 price drop. Good that they are doing something rather than entirely screwing over early adopters. 

@MordeaniisChaos said: 

Really, 20 old ass games is what you give for an AWFUL launch and rather rapidly dropping the price by that much? How are people raging that you get to pick from full, contemporary ass video games for the PS3 stuff but Nintendo gives stuff you can download and emulate in a heart beat just as free as you can get em through the 3DS if you don't count the cost of the 3DS and so far all I've seen is @Jonathan said:

Awesome! Really glad they aren't simply ignoring us early adopters.
    Well, Nintendo didn't let your personal information get hacked and prevent you from playing online multiplayer. And while emulating those games doesn't cost much, I don't think it's legal.
    EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EpicReflex

Seems like a last ditch effort.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gunharp

I don't understand. Where's the conductor?!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By imsh_pl

PEOPLE 

WE HAVE TO DO THE SAME WITH PS VITA

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By byterunner

common guys, Nintendo doesn't do things at money lost for anything. Of course the compensation is less then eventful (really, it depends on the last 10 games they announce) though, those GBA games look pretty good IMO.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zakkro

I was mildly interested in the 3DS, but got over it real quick. I really want the Vita because I like shiny things with big screens... but honestly, I'm starting to become disinterested in game-oriented handhelds. Kinda bums me out.

jiggolojoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jiggolojoe
    @xeroxkitty: On Amazon it's already been reduced to £169 from £229.99, could they go lower?
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By MEATBALL

I was relatively happy with my purchase anyway, so the 10 NES & 10 GBA games sweeten the deal for me. This really does seem like the price point they should have launched at, though, particularly considering the weak lineup. Metroid Fusion is one of my favourite handheld games ever, and I haven't been able to find my copy for some years, so I'm really pleased on that front. I hope the price drop gives the 3DS a shot in the arm, I really do like the system.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50  Edited By Hector

Wow...now thats news. Might get one later on this year then! :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.