Nintendo's "Ice White" 3DS Is More Compact

#1 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -

Nintendo have released a redesigned Nintendo 3DS, covertly, many including myself were led to believe this "Ice White" model, which is due to be released in time for Christmas, was simply a newly coloured 3DS. It's clearly not looking at one of the images below (*). The overiding question in my mind is how this new model will work on their bolt-on analogue unit, when the housing will be of a different size?. I can only guess there will be units for both, but in the long run the larger original 3DS models will surely be phased out.

I wonder if this new unit remedies some of the annoyances I have with the original model, I certainly hope so...

http://www.ntower.de/3DS/News/22536-ntower-importiert-Heute-Ice-White-3DS/

I better be able to switch my 3DS account over to another model free of charge.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

How weird. Still don't have a 3ds, I've heard Luigi's mansion will make use of the 2nd stick to play more like the GameCube version. Waiting to see how that pans out.

#3 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Looks same to me.

#4 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

How weird. Still don't have a 3ds, I've heard Luigi's mansion will make use of the 2nd stick to play more like the GameCube version. Waiting to see how that pans out.

That game looks awesome, out of all the 3D trailers they've released on the machine, I think that has the most impressive 3D effects, closely followed by Paper Mario's.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -
@Contro

@TooWalrus said:

That game looks awesome, out of all the 3D trailers they've released on the machine, I think that has the most impressive 3D effects, closely followed by Paper Mario's.

As weird as it sounds, that's probably my most anticipated game of 2012... and I don't even have a 3DS. In a perfect world, thet'd release a special green 3DS with the 2nd stick built in when the game comes out (which is around the time the Vita comes out, right? So if they're gonna upgrade the hardware... that's the time to do it.)
#6 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Contro

@TooWalrus said:

As weird as it sounds, that's probably my most anticipated game of 2012... and I don't even have a 3DS. In a perfect world, thet'd release a special green 3DS with the 2nd stick built in when the game comes out (which is around the time the Vita comes out, right? So if they're gonna upgrade the hardware... that's the time to do it.)

That's probably a decent guess.

#7 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Contro

@TooWalrus said:

I personally think we'll be waiting till Vita's first Christmas in the West before we see a total revision to 3DS's current design, and only then will it be sold in Japan.

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

There's been rumours about a redesign for a while. They were never going to announce it just before Christmas and so soon after the original launch.. but I get the feeling it really isn't far off.

The thing was just poorly designed from the get go, almost as if it was intentional. You also have to take into account that the recent price drop losing them a lot of money, and there's the analogue attachment coming soon. I'd be surprised if we don't see the redesign around the time of the Vita's launch. It gives them the opportunity to cut costs on the production and to bump up the price of the newer models. It'll be twisting the knife in the early adopters, but Nintendo are desperate at this point.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Not like they're gonna let me switch my old one in anyway.

Fuck them.

#10 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5288 posts) -

Wait so it's like a centimeter less wide? I fail to see the reason for this.

#11 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
#12 Posted by RE_Player1 (7573 posts) -

When does the one with the built in second analog stick come out? Until than I couldn't care less about the 3DS.

#13 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

That's a weird thing for them to do covertly. I never really understood the complaints about the size and shape of the launch 3DS. To me, it really doesn't feel that much different than my DS Lite.

#14 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

So it's just a little thicker while also being less "wide"? Doesn't exactly justify purchasing a new one.

It's not thicker, that's an optical illusion caused by the two-tone lid of the original underneath. It is less wide in length though, making it considerably more portable than Vita. Looking at my original now, it must feel really comfortable and look a lot cuter.

There's a Pink model on the way which should go down well with the ladies.

#15 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

that dont look any different to me , im looking at it in the top picture it looks bigger like some one actually photo shopped that picture

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.