Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

OH NO! 3DS has friend codes?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium
    Article 

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME NINTENDO? 

Ok, so even though it isn't confirmed, it's pretty scary. I'm now not sure if I wanna buy a multi-hundo dollar portable that has game specific friend codes, or even a universal friend codes. Why can't you just use online profiles which utilize names?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Because that would make too much sense. I've said it here and I'll say it again: Nintendo doesn't understand the Internet. The SNES had more online support than the Gamecube if you consider the Satellaview. Yeah, you could have a unified profile that is based on a name instead of a 20 digit number, but then children would get preyed on by pedophiles or something.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Kyle

Can't really say I'm surprised : /

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

:(

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By DrRandle

Friend codes, at their core, are not that bad. In fact they're fine, because it allows you to create a "character" name for every game. So in Pokemon, I can still be Doc, not DrRandle, or Panda_Convoy. I kind of like that flexibility, plus it helps keep anonymity. It's kind of a hassle, but the REAL problem is that Friend Codes are not console specific, their game specific. So to find friends for Pokemon and Animal Crossing and Mario Kart requires 3 numbers rather than 1. If they make it Console specific, that will be perfectly fine with me.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I kind of assumed they'd do this. I think they use friend codes rather than user names because anyone could type in a likely user name (e.g. Jack) and find any random player out there. Nintendo don't like people communicating with random individuals because then people run the risk of running into the kind of unsavoury people that plague services like Xbox LIVE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.