Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Question for 3DS owners on its sturdiness

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nocall

With the upcoming price drop, I've started playing with the idea of picking up a 3DS. However, when I first messed around with it at Best Buy it felt and looked kinda cheaply made--particularly the hinge. So I'm wondering if owners have actually had any issues with physical 3DS breakages.

Thanks!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By phantomzxro

Well I have a launch one and i hear people say the hinges are loose which they are a little, and it give it a small amount of wobble. On the flipside people say it protects it from breakages. But for me i have not had a problem with it breaking or feeling like it will break.  But it still to soon to tell if long time use will make the looseness worse or not.
    ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ckeats

I've dropped mine on a concrete sidewalk and it's still fine. The hinge has a bit of wobble, but no more than any previous version of the DS

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread, OP, but does anyone have any problems with the shoulder buttons? My current DS developed problems with its right shoulder button, and eventually it ended up getting jammed into place, meaning any game that uses that shoulder button became unplayable. If I buy a 3DS, it won't be for a while yet, but I figure since I'm thinking about it, I'd ask.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nocall
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: Nah, it's fine. I'm interested to hear about your problem as well. 

So far it looks like its sturdy enough for everyday use--thanks for the responses, peoples.
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ATrevelan
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: While I wouldn't say the shoulder buttons are "bad," they are a bit small for my fingers. Granted, I have abnormally large hands for a person of my size, but it's really the only annoyance I have with the system. 

The hinge is at its wobbliest when you're opening and closing it--it's rather easy to "slam" shut, in a sense. I haven't had any trouble with it flopping around when it's fully closed or fully open. Just be sure not to force it open more than it should. A friend of mine did that and nearly snapped it in half. 

If you're going to pick it up, I'd also invest in some good dust cloths, unless you have some for your computer already. Both screens get a bit dirty and the upper screen in particular can get some nasty streaks should you inadvertently sneeze on it. They wipe clean very easily, though.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By yoshimitz707

I like the part where the bottom screen digs into the top screen and scratches it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Vexxan

Tried the 3DS at GameStop and to me it felt easily breakable too. Might just be me being used to my massive DSi XL.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

Feels a lot sturdier than my DSLite, which has a broken hinge.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@yoshimitz707 said:

I like the part where the bottom screen digs into the top screen and scratches it.

This, its fucking horrible.

Its pretty sturdy beyond that tho, I already dropped it like a million times and everything is still fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.