Rumour: Nintendo 3DS to feature 3D camera?

#1 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Source  

Sharp launches 3D camera tech for mobiles.

Sharp has announced its latest 3D camera tech for mobile phones, netbooks and digital snappers, prompting rumours that the technology will be found in the Nintendo 3DS.the 3D camera module is set to enter mass production later this year, which means we should see mobile phones with 3D-ready cameras in the near future.

Will the 3DS feature a 3D camera?  

Sharp's 3D camera is also able to capture 720p video in 3D, so it is surely only a matter of time before we get mobile phones kitted out with full high def 3D video cams.   Interestingly, Nintendo's forthcoming 3DS handheld – set to be unveiled at E3 in June – is rumoured to also use  Sharp's glasses-parallax barrier technology  in its display.  Which begs the question, will the Nintendo 3DS also feature a 3D camera from Sharp?

Do you think that this is a real possibility?  If it is, what might it do the cost, as Nintendo are not ones for particularly expensive consoles and this may be cost prohibitive.  In addition, exactly what benefit may it being to the console for personal use, and for games themselves?

#2 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Not so sure, how's the use of the DSi camera? Anything particularly good? Or has it mostly been a useless feature? 
If the DSi camera was mostly useless, nintendo might decide to scrap the whole camera idea. 

Not sure what or how this 3D camera works though. Wouldn't it need to be able to detect the dimensions? Meaning that it's got some amount of Natal-like features. That could be pretty crazy, considering Natal isn't even out yet, having similar things on a handheld? Crazy!
#3 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

At this point i'm willing to believe that they will cram as much different things in it as possible. Makes me wonder if they will try and put a heartbeat sensor on it. If a 20 year old cycling machine can have it so can Nintendo. But i'm trying not to think to much about it because whatever they do i will probably not have expected it. E3 will sure be a great show.

I suppose that Nintendo can afford to take a loss per unit sold by now to keep the price low and regain that with software sales.

#4 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
"Not sure what or how this 3D camera works though. "
Erm.. two lenses. That's it.
#5 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" I hope it does have a 3D camera integrated into the machine, it could prove to be a cheap way of getting one.  "
I only hope it does if it serves a real purpose.  To be honest, the cameras on the DSi have seen little to no action in the time I have had it and I can't think of a single game I would want if they used it.  Otherwise it is an expensive extra that I could do without.  If they did, it would have to be a quality camera, unlike the DSi ones otherwise it will be the butt of jokes and not a lot more.
#6 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Whilst that does actually look cool, it sure as hell isn't going to get me playing for 500 hours like an Advance Wars.  It still seems gimmicky to me.  I need to see it used in a traditional game, like a platformer or RPG, maybe strategy.  I do see how a game like Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk type games may use it well though.

#7 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

3D Photography sounds great, but what can a camera be used for a game?

#8 Edited by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:

" @Willy105 said:

" 3D Photography sounds great, but what can a camera be used for a game? "

The DSi has already seen  WarioWare: Snapped! "
Well there has been System Flaw and there also will be that ghost finding game that right now i don't remember the name of. System Flaw apparently had terrible motion detection and was pretty bad overall. That other game tries to figure out the geometry in a 3D plane that it is seeing which I suppose it could do way more accurately with an 3D camera.
#9 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Willy105 said:

" 3D Photography sounds great, but what can a camera be used for a game? "

The DSi has already seen  WarioWare: Snapped! "
Well there has been System Flaw and there also will be that ghost finding game that right now i don't remember the name of. System Flaw apparently had terrible motion detection and was pretty bad overall. That other game tries to figure out the geometry in a 3D plane that it is seeing which I suppose it could do way more accurately with an 3D camera. "
If the game isn't very good, I don't see how 3D could make it much better.  I don't think any developer has really conquered this type of game in a way that isn't a gimmick.
#10 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@oldschool: Well the DSi has been out relativly short and it is the only "serious" gaming console with an camera so you can't really expect there to be a lot (any) good games that use it in that particular way. I wish that i could remember how that ghost game was called because they had a really neat development video that showed how the game tried to convert the camera image into a 3D space so that it could map the ghosts to the appropriate places. Such a thing would probably work way better with two lenses and perhaps more developers would use it. Knowing what part of the image is exactly the player and which is the background would make something like a zombie popping out behind the player and putting its hands around the player a lot easier. You wouldn't need to "calibrate" the game first by showing it only the background. Well that is how i think it works anyway, i might be somewhat wrong here. 

Ha thinking of it I really want to see this rumour to be real.
#11 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" @oldschool: Well the DSi has been out relativly short and it is the only "serious" gaming console with an camera so you can't really expect there to be a lot (any) good games that use it in that particular way. I wish that i could remember how that ghost game was called because they had a really neat development video that showed how the game tried to convert the camera image into a 3D space so that it could map the ghosts to the appropriate places. Such a thing would probably work way better with two lenses and perhaps more developers would use it. Knowing what part of the image is exactly the player and which is the background would make something like a zombie popping out behind the player and putting its hands around the player a lot easier. You wouldn't need to "calibrate" the game first by showing it only the background. Well that is how i think it works anyway, i might be somewhat wrong here.   Ha thinking of it I really want to see this rumour to be real. "
The PSP has games (or game?) with a camera as well.  Invisimals I think it is called and it got quite decent reviews from memory. 

I agree that potential is there, but when you shoehorn in technology for the sake of it, it generally fails.  That being said, Luigi's Mansion 3DS has a good sound to it.
#12 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Eh, cameras are cool to have even if they're not used in games all that much so why not, it's only one more lens on top of the 2.

There's also that DS(iWare?) beat 'em up game where you make the backgrounds, fighters and their specials out of photos.

#13 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Eh, cameras are cool to have even if they're not used in games all that much so why not, it's only one more lens on top of the 2.There's also that DS(iWare?) beat 'em up game where you make the backgrounds, fighters and their specials out of photos. "
It depends if they add to the price in a way that may be better avoided, but yeah, I may not ue my DSi cameras, but plenty of people do.
#14 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

if it does release with the camera built in, they should at least have the decency to create a version that comes without the camera. if i want to take a picture, i'll use my personal camera.

#15 Edited by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

The DSi Camera I have only used a few times ever... it's practically useless to me, so if there going to add this 3D Camera into the 3DS and it's going to cost more than originally planned, I am not a fan.

#16 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Have a look at this.

N4G believes that this might actually be a real prototype of the 3DS hardware. IF it is real, I really hope the combination of 16:9 and 4:3 screen was just for testing purposes.

Full story here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.