Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

SD memory?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Stupid question, but I just bought one of these used and I don't have a proper manual. What kinds of SD cards can be used in the SD memory slot? I take it downloadable games are saved on it as well?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Any SD card works, I commend Nintendo for not pulling a Sony and making a proprietary format for the system. Also yes, all eShop downloads will be saved to it I think, but you can also save it to the 3DS internal as well, I could be wrong.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

It supports all standard SD card formats, as I understand it. They're used to store StreetPass/SpotPass data. Downloadable titles can be saved to either the 3DS itself or to the card.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Great! Thanks for the advice.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7ee273746a
    deactivated-64b7ee273746a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Stupid question, but I just bought one of these used and I don't have a proper manual. What kinds of SD cards can be used in the SD memory slot? I take it downloadable games are saved on it as well?

For future reference, you can read the 3DS manual on Nintendo's site(Top right).
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

It takes SCHC up to 32 GB so if you have some strange impulses regarding a 64GB SDHC card for the 3DS... don't.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Keen314: That is incredibly useful! Thanks so much!

@MikkaQ: Thanks! It's good to know the size limit. There aren't a ton of games out yet that will fill the 2 GB card I ended up with, but I imagine if they release more Virtual Console games on there, I'll have it filled fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.