Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Should i get it? Help me with my reasoning.

Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Halopower67

So i already went ahead and reserved the 3DS (could cancel and get my money back any time) but im still on the fence. The only reason im getting it really is because i don't want the value of my DSi to go down so dramatically after that $75 trade in promotion is over so i figured that i might as well get the 3DS now and take advantage of the $75 trade in since eventually I'm gonna get a 3DS trade in or no trade in. What are your thought on my decision? Any suggestions?

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By ReyGitano

I keep all my consoles man, so I don't know what to tell you. I'm just gonna wait for the 3DS to go down in price, maybe build up its library with games I actually want to play.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lavapotamus

I'm basically in the same boat as you. I'm going to trade in my DSi because I assume that, eventually, I'll want a 3DS, and I can deal with having the original design for a reduced price. I don't plan on picking up any launch titles and I still think it will be worth it. 

If you don't mind me adding it here, I had another question regarding trading in a DSi for a 3DS. I know that DSiWare is transferrable to the 3DS, but I can't find out how this is done. Do I just reconnect my account to the new system, or do I need to keep my old DSi until a service is announced to transfer over the DSiWare games?

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @Lavapotamus:  They haven't talked about how you'll be able to transfer yet. Those details probably won't hit until near the launch of the E-Store. So nothing until this summer when they launch it.
    Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Halopower67
    @Lavapotamus: I was wondering the same thing, but yeah this reasoning behind why im buying the 3DS is so fishy but i still cant arrive at a conclusion.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

I say cancel it. Yes your going to get $75 for your DSi but you still have to buy a $175 3DS and a game, I'm assuming you want to play games, so your over $200. The launch lineup sucks, except for Street Fighter which I already have a better version of it..., and in a year there might be a revision. Also, I know this is far fetched, what if this is a 360 scenario? A couple months from now we hear the batteries in 3DS's suck and only hold a 1 hour charge or something like that. I learned my lesson with the 360 the hard way so no matter how much I want a system, I really want the NGP at launch, I wait one year now for multiple reasons: 
    1. Launch line ups suck for the most part.
    2. The price will drop or a revision will come in a year.
    3. You'll have a much wider catalogue of games to choose from.
    4. In most Nintendo handhelds more colours will be introduced so wait for a wider selection.  

Plus take advantage of the upcoming DS clearance. DS games will still work in the future when you buy a 3DS and stores are probably going to mark down a lot of cool titles, like Professor Layton games etc. My local Best Buy is getting rid of their PSP stock because no one is buying them anymore so I might get games like Daxter and PaRappa for $5 each. 

the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'm just hoping It's nothing stupid like "send in your DSi and we'll give you 25 digit code for each download". But it is Nintendo, and they can be ass backward about online stuff.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1
    @the_hiro_abides: Yeah remember the whole Other M fiasco. "Mail in your SD card for the patch..." dude come on we are in 2011. 
    Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Halopower67
    @RE_Player92: I see why you mean. Im not planning on getting any games though. so what my basic choice is.. wait for another revision for the 3DS and hope they price frop it and et it at that price and eventually be able to keep my DSi... or just get the 3DS now by trading in my DSi.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Halopower67: I just don't want to see you get burned and only enjoy your 3DS for a couple months when games your actually interested in come out only to feel like an idiot when at 2012 E3 they announce a revision, even if it's as small as, " We improved the battery life so now it works for 8 hours instead of 3!" 
    Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Halopower67
    @RE_Player92: Yeah maybe your right. ill sleep on your advice and see what i end up doing. thanks! 

More thought are welcome though, I'd like to see if anyone else is also in the same situation as me.
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @RE_Player92:  I agree. Battery life is a big deal. I cringe at the thought of sticking a UMD into my PSP Slim. 

I know I'm going to wait for a better selection of games. I hardly play my DS now with good games in it.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Halopower67: Last thing I wanna add, I had an experience with Nintendo's revisions. I bought the fat DS, yeah that ugly piece of crap, only to see the Lite announced a month later... I felt like shit and ended up getting a Lite a year later. 
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @the_hiro_abides: Yeah remember the whole Other M fiasco. "Mail in your SD card for the patch..." dude come on we are in 2011.  "
    I must've not been paying attention when that happened. That is pure insanity!
    EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By EchoForge

For me, the one reason to get a 3DS is because it's a new thing. The guy at the game shop spent 20 minutes showing me the machine (I had come in to buy a replacement DS, but thought, 'hey, I have the time') and I was wowed by the 3D, the system had a nice heft to it, the console looked cool and....that's about it.  

The one game I'd want is SSF4, which I already have and based on my limited play time on the the 3DS, I don't know if I"m willing to spend another 29 pounds on a junior version of the game--there are no other games otherwise I'd play. While I like the overall style of the system, I'm willing to see what a new iteration will bring. I don't care about the eShop (blasphemy, I know) and the Augmented Reality thing was the saddest thing I've seen (point and shoot--isn't this fun?). 

It's exciting cause it's new and everyone's talking about it. I'm definitely getting caught up in the hype. But with summer coming up, would I rather spend 220 pounds on a system and game that I'll rarely play (and immediately regret purchasing), or a nice holiday somewhere? Personally, I'd rather wait for the library to mature, and see how everything goes. No killer app at launch = no reason to get the system for me. 

/justification over 
    //too much? 
    ///dammit, Amazon has a nice sale on it going... 
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard
    @Lavapotamus: I swear I remember Jeff saying on the NintendownloadXpress that you WILL need to keep your DSi if you plan to transfer your DSi Ware. So :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.