Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Sooo, the DS emulation is pretty bad...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Bollard

Having now tried out Pokemon White on my shiny new 3DS, I have  (unfortunately) confirmed for myself the rumours about the emulation of DS games being pretty poor on the new console. On the bright side, the loading times being far longer was merely a myth.  

However! That does not make up for the fact that the games - which look so crisp on my DS Lite - look really washed out, almost yellowish on the 3DS screens, and also sorta... not pixellated, but blurry? Not quite crisp? I'm not sure how to describe it, but it doesn't look good.  

But, that's the thing - it looks bad on BOTH of the 3DS's screens - not just the top one. That leads me to think that the bad emulation is not a fault of the 3D screen, or other hardware (seeing as it is a far more powerful handheld than the DS), rather it must be a software issue. This also leads me to hope that surely, Nintendo may one day improve the emulation, not just with a new hardware revision (3DSi Lite XL ftw!), but actually they could make use of the damned system update to patch in better emulation. 

There surely must be a better solution to this largely pale, yellowy and ugly DS experience (Look at the emulation of No$GBA on the PC - and that's been around for ages), and I hope Nintendo are honest to the customers which bought launch 3DSes, and patch in better emulation if they ever fix it with a new 3DS revision (or preferably even before that.).

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Have you tried doing this?

Apparently it makes DS games look better

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard
    @FancySoapsMan: Technically you're right, they do look better if you do that... But then again it also makes the image take up about... 60% of the screens? Its a bit small. 

Thanks for the tip anyway. 

EDIT: I understand that the resolution difference causes the blurriness, however I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to change the emulation software, so that when it is playing the game "full screen" it increased the contrast and saturation. Because you're getting one pixel spread over many it dulls the image, and just bumping up the saturation would restore the brightness and vibrancy, even if full clarity isn't possible. 

Looking at it again I guess it isn't too bad. The DS Lite's screens were way better than the original DSes, and I suppose this is pretty much like going back to the original again.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Chavtheworld: Well, that's because the native resolution of the DS is smaller. And the pixels of the 3DS are also smaller, so it will be displayed smaller than on an actual DS. But it will still look better than upscaling.

Unless you do it like Audrey Drake did. Then it will look the same as upscaling, because she actually failed to change the screen resolution at all.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By unsolvedparadox

That's hugely disappointing to hear, thankfully I still have a DS Phat kicking around.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sayishere

im playing pokemon white also, i havent played a ds before (the reason why i bought a 3ds) since i dont have that comparision, i personally think it looks ok 

i suppose ignorance is bliss

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
    @RiotBananas said:
    " Just tried Pokemon White, I feel like it's more a resolution issue? "
    Yeah, that's what we've been saying in this thread so far. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.