Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

TEG's Blog: Let's talk about the Nintendo 3DS XL!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico
    LET'S TALK ABOUT THE NINTENDO 3DS XL! 
    So Nintendo finally got around to announcing that new 3DS we all heard rumours about around E3 time. I'm not quite sure what I expected from a revision of Nintendo's most recent handheld. Now I bought a Nintendo 3DS when it launched in Europe, and all to quickly got the buyers regret. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is a fine handheld which still as great potential. I rather liked it's charming online functionality, it's cosmetically pleasing looks and it's more pleasant take on 3D. Yet I still found myself selling that 3DS a few short months later. Why? Was it all down to buyers regret or was there a much larger issue affecting handheld gaming in general? 

Take Sony's Playstation Vita. On the day that portable system was announced I knew I wouldn't have any interest as a consumer. Never had a device been released where it's future seemed so inevitable. I was left contemplating why Sony even released it in the first place. I can only guess that having already invested considerable amounts of cash into developing the Vita, the idea of just ditching the project probably  wasn't in Sony's interests. But with no real excitement behind it, and no Monster Hunter to help it along in the Asian Markets (whereas the PSP was arguably saved by that behemoth franchise) one couldn't help feel the handheld was doomed before it even hit store shelves. But anyway, back to Nintendo.  

Imagine a 3DS, just bigger and you get the idea.
    Whatever the reasons were in me selling my 3DS, I'll admit that fun times were had. Despite it's far from perfect control scheme, I did greatly enjoy Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and the future certainly looks a little brighter with recent game announcements at E3 and Nintendo's more recent video conferences. So the announcement of a new 3DS revision captured my interest and what we got was basically a larger 3DS. Not the most stunning of revisions, in fact it might be seen as lazy. But that's what we got, a bigger 3DS with bigger screens and a bigger battery. Woo! Bigger battery, that's a big deal and your right. Still, considering what gamers were expecting from a revision to the Nintendo 3DS, the XL is far from a stunner at first sight.  

That said, for those that have yet to sink their teeth into a 3DS, the XL might just be the perfect entry point. A bigger battery is certainly a big positive when the original 3DS's battery life is taken into account, as is the larger screen which some might just prefer. From my point of few, one of the potential positives about the XL is the simple obvious fact that it's larger. As someone who as severe joint pain in both hands, holding handheld devices can be a real issue. Holding the original 3DS caused me some pain after extensive use due to it's design and size, as does Sony's dual shock controller. So that's one of the reasons I've shown interest in the XL. But I'm not won over just yet.  

The larger screens could be a negative or a positive. Nintendo have stated that internal hardware hasn't changed so basically you'll still be running 3DS games suited for the bog standard 3DS but on a bigger screen, which could result in a poorer quality picture. A few previews out there have given off mixed messages. Some say screen quality as taken a hit with the larger sized screens while others have said the differences are barely noticeable, there have also been some reports that Nintendo are using some sort of filter to help with picture quality. This is why I think it best to wait until a much broader picture can be painted as we near it's release. I'm unsure what to make of the XL just yet, but as someone slightly tempted to jump back aboard the 3DS train, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it as we near release. 

Handheld gaming as changed. While it's difficult to say if that change as been for the better, change is usually a positive thing and I can't help but wonder how handheld gaming will look in another three or four years time. Will Sony risk developing another portable system considering how poorly the Vita is doing right now? What about Nintendo, will we see a successor to the 3DS? Smartphones have changed the very essence of portable gaming, making it difficult for both Sony and Nintendo to compete. Its almost as if the two companies are desperately hanging onto a dying genre of gaming hardware, it's just that Nintendo have a slight better grip on the ledge then Sony right now. Still, that doesn't mean we can't get excited about a new Animal Crossing... that's a cool thing to be excited about right?

Thanks for reading, 
    Joseph. :D
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico
    So Nintendo finally got around to announcing that new 3DS we all heard rumours about around E3 time. I'm not quite sure what I expected from a revision of Nintendo's most recent handheld. Now I bought a Nintendo 3DS when it launched in Europe, and all to quickly got the buyers regret. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is a fine handheld which still as great potential. I rather liked it's charming online functionality, it's cosmetically pleasing looks and it's more pleasant take on 3D. Yet I still found myself selling that 3DS a few short months later. Why? Was it all down to buyers regret or was there a much larger issue affecting handheld gaming in general? 

Take Sony's Playstation Vita. On the day that portable system was announced I knew I wouldn't have any interest as a consumer. Never had a device been released where it's future seemed so inevitable. I was left contemplating why Sony even released it in the first place. I can only guess that having already invested considerable amounts of cash into developing the Vita, the idea of just ditching the project probably  wasn't in Sony's interests. But with no real excitement behind it, and no Monster Hunter to help it along in the Asian Markets (whereas the PSP was arguably saved by that behemoth franchise) one couldn't help feel the handheld was doomed before it even hit store shelves. But anyway, back to Nintendo.  

Whatever the reasons were in me selling my 3DS, I'll admit that fun times were had. Despite it's far from perfect control scheme, I did greatly enjoy Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and the future certainly looks a little brighter with recent game announcements at E3 and Nintendo's more recent video conferences. So the announcement of a new 3DS revision captured my interest and what we got was basically a larger 3DS. Not the most stunning of revisions, in fact it might be seen as lazy. But that's what we got, a bigger 3DS with bigger screens and a bigger battery. Woo! Bigger battery, that's a big deal and your right. Still, considering what gamers were expecting from a revision to the Nintendo 3DS, the XL is far from a stunner at first sight.  

That said, for those that have yet to sink their teeth into a 3DS, the XL might just be the perfect entry point. A bigger battery is certainly a big positive when the original 3DS's battery life is taken into account, as is the larger screen which some might just prefer. From my point of few, one of the potential positives about the XL is the simple obvious fact that it's larger. As someone who as severe joint pain in both hands, holding handheld devices can be a real issue. Holding the original 3DS caused me some pain after extensive use due to it's design and size, as does Sony's dual shock controller. So that's one of the reasons I've shown interest in the XL. But I'm not won over just yet.  

The larger screens could be a negative or a positive. Nintendo have stated that internal hardware hasn't changed so basically you'll still be running 3DS games suited for the bog standard 3DS but on a bigger screen, which could result in a poorer quality picture. A few previews out there have given off mixed messages. Some say screen quality as taken a hit with the larger sized screens while others have said the differences are barely noticeable, there have also been some reports that Nintendo are using some sort of filter to help with picture quality. This is why I think it best to wait until a much broader picture can be painted as we near it's release. I'm unsure what to make of the XL just yet, but as someone slightly tempted to jump back aboard the 3DS train, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it as we near release. 

Handheld gaming as changed. While it's difficult to say if that change as been for the better, change is usually a positive thing and I can't help but wonder how handheld gaming will look in another three or four years time. Will Sony risk developing another portable system considering how poorly the Vita is doing right now? What about Nintendo, will we see a successor to the 3DS? Smartphones have changed the very essence of portable gaming, making it difficult for both Sony and Nintendo to compete. Its almost as if the two companies are desperately hanging onto a dying genre of gaming hardware, it's just that Nintendo have a slight better grip on the ledge then Sony right now. Still, that doesn't mean we can't get excited about a new Animal Crossing... that's a cool thing to be excited about right?

Thanks for reading, 
    Joseph. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.