That Horrible 3DS Analog Stick Rumor Is Coming True

Posted by patrickklepek (3454 posts) -

I didn't report on the rumors Nintendo would be releasing an add-on for the 3DS that would provide the handheld with a second analog stick for two reasons. One, I couldn't verify them. In almost every case, if I'm unable to come up with secondary confirmation of a rumor, you won't read about it here. It's not my style. Two, it sounded ridiculous, a move that would make more sense--if any at all--for a re-design. Even if you entertained the idea of it coming prior to a re-design, why split users?

Turns out, it's looking to be true.

The add-on, which reportedly acts as a cradle for the handheld and simultaneously adds several shoulder buttons (there are conflicting reports on this specific fact, hope to have clarity in the morning), has appeared in the newest issue of Famitsu. It's being released in conjunction with Monster Hunter 3G, apparently scheduled before the end of the year, at least in Japan.

What's this monstrosity look like? Your wish is my command, courtesy of Twitter user @south1996.

No, you haven't lost your mind! This isn't some crazy dream!

Granted, much could change; we're getting the very first details on this translated from a magazine reveal. Nintendo has a press conference ahead of the Tokyo Game Show this month, currently scheduled for September 13. We should see more about this add-on there. I'm especially interested in finding out whether Nintendo has the balls to charge for this.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3454 posts) -

I didn't report on the rumors Nintendo would be releasing an add-on for the 3DS that would provide the handheld with a second analog stick for two reasons. One, I couldn't verify them. In almost every case, if I'm unable to come up with secondary confirmation of a rumor, you won't read about it here. It's not my style. Two, it sounded ridiculous, a move that would make more sense--if any at all--for a re-design. Even if you entertained the idea of it coming prior to a re-design, why split users?

Turns out, it's looking to be true.

The add-on, which reportedly acts as a cradle for the handheld and simultaneously adds several shoulder buttons (there are conflicting reports on this specific fact, hope to have clarity in the morning), has appeared in the newest issue of Famitsu. It's being released in conjunction with Monster Hunter 3G, apparently scheduled before the end of the year, at least in Japan.

What's this monstrosity look like? Your wish is my command, courtesy of Twitter user @south1996.

No, you haven't lost your mind! This isn't some crazy dream!

Granted, much could change; we're getting the very first details on this translated from a magazine reveal. Nintendo has a press conference ahead of the Tokyo Game Show this month, currently scheduled for September 13. We should see more about this add-on there. I'm especially interested in finding out whether Nintendo has the balls to charge for this.

Staff
#2 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

Cool. Won't fit the larger battery I just installed to fix the battery life problem either.

#3 Posted by mastrbiggy (229 posts) -

Oh Nintendo.

#4 Posted by patrickklepek (3454 posts) -

@Jimster said:

First!

Nope.

Staff
#5 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1590 posts) -

That is the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

Ever.

#6 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1698 posts) -

That looks terrible!

#7 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Iwata's going to have to do one of these pretty soon the way he's going.

#8 Posted by JamesBoyce (295 posts) -

LOOOKS FUCKING AMAZING.

#9 Posted by SamFo (1514 posts) -

Ok, I know Nintendo fucked up bigtime on the 3DS, but this... this is just retarded... They'd have to pay people to use this monstrosity!!!

#10 Posted by Miketorreza (125 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh man... this is so dumb. Amazing.

#11 Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

Surely, this is the thing that will improve sales.

#12 Posted by Jensonb (1705 posts) -

If this is real, it demonstrates Nintendo have spent the last year going from being visionaries to idiots, and pretty much deposits all the faith I had in them.

#13 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

If it truly acts as a battery life extension/2nd analog stick/wii u controller as some are speculating, I'm all for it.

Not really sure why there's so much negativity. Could be pretty comfortable to use for playing at home. Then you have the system without the cradle when you want it to be portable for simpler games.

#14 Posted by Darknight630 (19 posts) -

I'd assume this would only be for Monster Hunter. If anything Nintendo would have one or two more games for it. It's basically Wii Motion + all over again.

#15 Posted by UsbCable (235 posts) -

What the butt hole...... Did they ever give a reason for not adding a second stick in the first place? I know there was some talk about it in an interview pre-release but I don't remember which....

#16 Posted by milkham (16 posts) -

So this will prevent the claw right? wow.

#17 Edited by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

This is so lame.... it really makes me never want to buy a first gen Nintendo product ever again. Come to think of it why did I buy a 3DS....regret

#18 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

How did you fuck up the DS brand so hard, Nintendo?

#19 Edited by SpaceBoat (171 posts) -

At least it looks more comfortable. Those corners get me every time.

#20 Posted by leftzero101 (86 posts) -

Fucking nintendo... Just dont get them anymore.

#21 Posted by lacke (359 posts) -

Japanese Console makers being Japanese Console makers. Reminds me of all the stupid shit Gameboy and 16-bit console era had.

#22 Posted by NeutralDensity (47 posts) -

What an absolute travesty.  What are you doing Nintendo!?  Argh! :(   

#23 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@patrickklepek:

So when you buy that add-on are you going to get the bottom inscribed

"I may be an ambassador, but I will not be left behind!"

#24 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

man... Nintendo is going to need to say a huge "Sorry" on this one... while they entire time I was hoping this was going to be a "Never" kind of situation.

#25 Posted by ViciousReiven (818 posts) -

I don't like the idea of it being offset to the side, I think instead it should have wrapped around onto the front under the face buttons.  

#26 Posted by mewarmo990 (829 posts) -

@Ghost_of_Perdition said:

Surely, this is the thing that will improve sales.

And not, say, an actually reasonable battery life! Not at all!

#27 Edited by Gunharp (336 posts) -

@patrickklepek:

You know. Now that I think about it. Wasn't the sole reason for the Classic Controller Pro for Monster Hunter Tri?

Monster Hunter gets people to do crazy shit.

#28 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

So, this seems pretty dumb.

#29 Posted by probablytuna (3532 posts) -

As a recent 3DS owner, I'd rather Nintendo announce this than a new model with longer battery life and a second circle pad.

#30 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

What the....

#31 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@akiz_jack said:

As a recent 3DS owner, I'd rather Nintendo announce this than a new model with longer battery life and a second circle pad.

That's coming next year for the fall.

#32 Posted by MasterVader (31 posts) -

This reminds me of those super bulky attachments for the original Game Boy.

#33 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2308 posts) -

That is shockingly bad.

Why is the slide pad to the right of the face buttons? Why?

I'm praying it's a prototype.

#34 Posted by LetsRockBaby (241 posts) -

Oh man that's an eyesore.

#35 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

The absolute power of Monster Hunter.

#36 Posted by ch3burashka (5004 posts) -

I don't care what you say; this CANNOT be real. 

If some-crazy-how it's real (how can it be?) I hope Nintendo makes it a centerpiece at their conference - I can't wait to see how they spin this one.

#37 Posted by UltimAXE (368 posts) -

It doesn't look terrible; just weird and not entirely necessary.

But then, I don't have a 3DS or even want one right now, so whatever.

#38 Posted by CitizenJP (1005 posts) -

( '-_-)

#39 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

WHY DIDNT THEY FUCKING 
PUT ONE 
ON THE THING 
IN THE FIRST PLACE NYAAAARGH NINTENDOOOOOO

#40 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

What a hell...

#41 Posted by FoxMulder (1622 posts) -

should just add a second one with the new "lite"-esque model.

#42 Posted by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

Haha, oh wow what a fucking joke.

#43 Posted by TheHakku (359 posts) -

Might make boss battles in SM643DS easier. ...Bah. I got nothing.

#44 Posted by raikoh05 (412 posts) -

gamegear 2.0

#45 Posted by NoelVeiga (1068 posts) -

If there isn't a second battery in there at least doubling your battery life I'll be pissed.

#46 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

#47 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

I can't wait until Nintendo switches to solely making games, and not consoles any more. They've lost their touch. Their games are still fantastic, though...

#48 Posted by InsidiousTuna (375 posts) -
#49 Posted by BoringK (257 posts) -

Surely, this means that there'll never be a radical redesign of the 3DS, right? Because they wouldn't release a ridiculous thing like this, and then follow it up with a 3DS it wouldn't work with? Right?

fucking Monster Hunter

#50 Posted by MrMazz (912 posts) -

It throws off the center of the device visually.I don't like that. Why can't they just be like normal nintendo and announce a redisign like they were going to do in 18 months anyway?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.