Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

The 3DS Is My Favourite Device At The Moment

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Haziqonfire

It's been almost 2 years since the 3DS was released in North America and it's been a pretty crazy journey so far. From the mediocre launch line up to the price cut four months after launch, the 3DS didn't exactly have the best start. However, I feel like two years later the device is has a fantastic software library.It's been my go-to device for quite some time now, with a lot of great content.

It's amazing to see all of the content the platform has received in two years:

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
    • Mario Kart 7
    • New Super Mario Bros. 2
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
    • Kid Icarus: Uprising
    • Kingdom Hearts 3D
    • Tales of the Abyss
    • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
    • Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask
    • SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
    • Star Fox 64 3D
    • Resident Evil: Revelations

These aren't even all the titles, just the one's I've played personally. Nintendo has also done a really great job with the eShop and are continuing to do so. Despite the fact that the user interface is pretty poor, there is a ton of great content from smaller developers and Nintendo. These are the ones I've downloaded:

• Bomb Monkey
    • Crimson Shroud
    • Dillon's Rolling Western
    • Excitebike 3D
    • Mighty Switch Force
    • Mutant Mudds
    • Pushmo
    • Crashmo
    • VVVVVV

More titles are coming to the 3DS, both retail and eShop. HarmoKnight from Gamefreak and a new FPS from Renegade Kid is coming to the eShop this year. There are more title in the first half of this year that I want for the 3DS than I do with the Wii U and Xbox360 combined.

• Fire Emblem: Awakening
    • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    • SMT: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
    • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    • Pokemon X and Pokemon Y
    • HarmoKnight

I also recently purchased a 3DS XL and sold my original launch 3DS. The 3DS XL in my opinion, is a lot nicer. The screens are nice and big, the form factor is a lot better and the battery life is slightly better as well.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the 3DS so far?

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Haziqonfire

It's been almost 2 years since the 3DS was released in North America and it's been a pretty crazy journey so far. From the mediocre launch line up to the price cut four months after launch, the 3DS didn't exactly have the best start. However, I feel like two years later the device is has a fantastic software library.It's been my go-to device for quite some time now, with a lot of great content.

It's amazing to see all of the content the platform has received in two years:

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
    • Mario Kart 7
    • New Super Mario Bros. 2
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
    • Kid Icarus: Uprising
    • Kingdom Hearts 3D
    • Tales of the Abyss
    • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
    • Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask
    • SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
    • Star Fox 64 3D
    • Resident Evil: Revelations

These aren't even all the titles, just the one's I've played personally. Nintendo has also done a really great job with the eShop and are continuing to do so. Despite the fact that the user interface is pretty poor, there is a ton of great content from smaller developers and Nintendo. These are the ones I've downloaded:

• Bomb Monkey
    • Crimson Shroud
    • Dillon's Rolling Western
    • Excitebike 3D
    • Mighty Switch Force
    • Mutant Mudds
    • Pushmo
    • Crashmo
    • VVVVVV

More titles are coming to the 3DS, both retail and eShop. HarmoKnight from Gamefreak and a new FPS from Renegade Kid is coming to the eShop this year. There are more title in the first half of this year that I want for the 3DS than I do with the Wii U and Xbox360 combined.

• Fire Emblem: Awakening
    • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    • SMT: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
    • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    • Pokemon X and Pokemon Y
    • HarmoKnight

I also recently purchased a 3DS XL and sold my original launch 3DS. The 3DS XL in my opinion, is a lot nicer. The screens are nice and big, the form factor is a lot better and the battery life is slightly better as well.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the 3DS so far?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mwng

I want one...
    But I can't really justify owning both a 3DS and a Vita. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vita, but I'm pretty jealous of the current 3DS library.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By doobie

i don't have a 3DS so have no real opinion. so no point me even posting really.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs

@doobie said:

Yeah, Me too.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

yeah, it looks like it's going to be just like the DS in that despite having the weakest technology of all the currently available platforms, it makes up for by having tons of unique and fun games.

I got a small 3DS for Christmas and so far I've played Pushmo and Zero Escape 2. I can't wait to catch up with some of the other great titles on it.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Haziqonfire

@FancySoapsMan said:

yeah, it looks like it's going to be just like the DS in that despite having the weakest technology of all the currently available platforms, it makes up for by having tons of unique and fun games.

I got a small 3DS for Christmas and so far I've played Pushmo and Zero Escape 2. I can't wait to catch up with some of the other great titles on it.

I've still been working on Pushmo, the later levels get pretty hard. Crashmo is pretty hard too, and the way you solve the puzzles is different than Pushmo.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I've been really let down with the 3DS library, I seem to be playing my vita way more, the only 3ds games I play are Mario kart 7 and crashmo.

What I play on my vita:

• Mortal Kombat 9
    • LittleBigPlanet vita
    • Retro city rampage
    • motorstorm RC
    • playstation allstars
    • Sound shapes
    • Wipeout 2048
    • Lumines electronic symphony
    • Mutant blobs attack
    • frobisher says
    • jet pack joyride
    • Rayman origins

What I play on the 3DS:

• Mario kart 7
    • Crashmo
    • Bit.trip.collection
    algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By algertman

I love my 3DS. I thought about getting a Vita but the library is a joke and support has all but dried up.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

That is a killer list. I bought a 3DS and have only really played Zelda & Mario... how much longer until Luigi's Mansion comes out?!

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Haziqonfire

@algertman said:

I love my 3DS. I thought about getting a Vita but the library is a joke and support has all but dried up.

I'm pretty much the same. The Vita is some really great piece of tech, but has almost no backing in terms of software from third parties and Sony themselves, it seems.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

Mine too, I adore the thing. I recently got the XL (Pikachu version!) and I think I'd find it hard going back after using that big screen for a while. I don't think the eshop is perfect, actually it's still pretty shoddy despite a few gems.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Haziqonfire said:

@algertman said:

I'm pretty much the same. The Vita is some really great piece of tech, but has almost no backing in terms of software from third parties and Sony themselves, it seems.

I've never understood this, yes the vita is really lacking with software, but I think the 3ds is exactly the same. I could even say vita has a ton more worthwhile downloadable games too. This is a serious question, is it because I don't like RPGs or many Japanese games, therefore the 3DS doesn't offer much?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By DoctorWelch

I got one for Christmas, and even though Pushmo has been great, and Super Mario 3D Land may have been the best Mario platformer I have ever played (I've played all the Mario platformers to completion), so much so that I got all three coins in all levels, including secret ones, in only 3 days, I would still have to say I am a bit disappointed because I don't know where to go from here. Obviously there's Crashmo, but that's still only three games. The only game currently out that I might be interested in is Paper Mario, but that just seems too shallow.

I will say I'm still extremely excited for Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, and Animal Crossing. So the future looks bright.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By killacam

@BestUsernameEver said:

This is a serious question, is it because I don't like RPGs or many Japanese games, therefore the 3DS doesn't offer much?

Yeah that's pretty much the case.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Trilogy

Don't have one yet, but Animal Crossing and Pokemon X and Y are probably going to be games that lead to me taking the plunge. I've been wanting a 3DS for a while now, and I almost went through with it during the black friday sales. The only thing that really held me back was that I couldn't decide if I wanted the discounted 3DS bundle or the more expensive 3DS XL. I'm not sure why the 3DS XL wasn't the one being bundled over the holidays.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As of right now I'm pretty much the opposite. Don't get me wrong some good stuff is coming out but as of right now it's just gathering dust. 

I made a blog about my current impressions a few days ago. (Shameless plugging!)

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Live2bRighteous

I'm going to be honest... I bought a 3Ds last year just for animal crossing. I haven't been using it as much as I should be, seeing I only own Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Tetris. Once animal crossing releases though, I'll be on it 24/7.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By skooks

I love my 3DS, I think it has really picked up steam during the past year and this year looks good for it too. I'm the same as you when it comes to the Vita, I looked into one and honestly there are like three games for it that I'm interested in. I can't justify the price for that, even though it looks like an awesome piece of technology.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Haziqonfire

me buy a Vita.@BestUsernameEver said:

I've never understood this, yes the vita is really lacking with software, but I think the 3ds is exactly the same. I could even say vita has a ton more worthwhile downloadable games too. This is a serious question, is it because I don't like RPGs or many Japanese games, therefore the 3DS doesn't offer much?

I guess it does depend on where your interests are. I like Nintendo software for the most part and I like JRPGs. However, I haven't really seen much Vita software I like that I can't find elsewhere already.

@skooks said:

I love my 3DS, I think it has really picked up steam during the past year and this year looks good for it too. I'm the same as you when it comes to the Vita, I looked into one and honestly there are like three games for it that I'm interested in. I can't justify the price for that, even though it looks like an awesome piece of technology.

Yeah. I mean beyond Persona 4: The Golden, there's nothing I want on the platform. Even though Persona 4 is a long game, one game isn't going to make

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder

I love my 3DS ^__^

Also: Virtue's Last Reward

Sadly the only physical 3DS game I'm looking forward to is Fire Emblem: Awakening. There's always something worth checking out on the eShop though. Pity the eShop is just so clunky and the downloader lacks any proper feedback (balls on a clothesline dropping into a box...)

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John1912

@Coombs said:

@doobie said:

Yeah, Me too.

I would like to post, to not post my opinion as well.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hunkulese

I kind of agree but it's mainly due to the fact that I never had a DS. The only 2 3ds games that I thoroughly enjoyed were shadow wars and devil survivor. If you just compare current gen libraries I still think the vita comes out ahead.

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By confirm4crit

I love mine, just bought mine a few months ago, been playing Mario 3D Land alot

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Sooty

I don't mind the 3DS but the only games I enjoyed on mine were 3D Land and Mario Kart.

I much prefer my Vita with games like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Persona 4 Golden. It's not even a contest.

UMvC3 on Vita is more fun than anything I've ever played on a handheld, even though it's not as good not being able to use my arcade stick that port is fantastic.

ikaruga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ikaruga

I've been playing the 3ds and ignore my PC in the last few months. After 999 and survivor overclocked I am now grinding through radiant historia and eagerly waiting for fire emblem, estrian odyssey 4 and soul hackers. Looks like my PC will be ignored for most of this year. I prob. enjoy the 3ds more because I gave away my ds lite very early in the cycle and missed out on all the cool rpgs. As for the vita, the only game would I want is P4G since I already have a psp go for all my srpg need.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my 3DS and all but I want some more hardcore games on it. Not so much this "games on the go" thing reviewers keep complaining isn't happening. If I have to take a shit I grab my iPod, if I want to loose hours I grab my 3DS. Either way I am in no way disappointed and am very happy with the product thus far. I have been a supporter since the start. <\hipster>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.