Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

There is going to be new 3DS model

• 93 results
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

The problem is, they have already released 3 3DS versions. The XL model should have been this. Am I wrong thinking that?

Ganthet2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ok, I have a 3DSXL and I like it. I have really no interest in trade it for one with a few more bells and whistles. Why can't the game that is coming out for the New 3DS work on the old ones as well and what the heck is the point of an upgrade now. Nintendo has the handle game market pretty much to it's self right now. Sony has forgotten the Vita. So I am not seeing the point on this.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Anyone have any idea if you can transfer your nintendo profile to a new 3ds and redownload your digital stuff? Or is that impossible?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Anyone have any idea if you can transfer your nintendo profile to a new 3ds and redownload your digital stuff? Or is that impossible?

They do have a transfer program. It's either in the settings or in the Eshop (I forget).

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#55 riostarwind  Moderator

Well I wasn't expecting this kind of news when I woke up today. At least the first game they announced for it is just a port of Xenoblade. Unless the N3DS starts to have a crazy amount of new awesome games I don't really see a reason to upgrade from my 3DSXL.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gragghh nintendo rrraagh

I love you guys still but why

Should have waited a year or so and released this under a different name

I HAVE had my xl since about when it came out so upgrading shouldnt be a big deal for me. still, this seems like so much shooting in foot...

Hope it works out!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nintendo hardware announcement? And people are angry? Never happened before in the history of the internet.

I would guess they're not ready to move on from the 3DS concept but want to address some of the concerns people have over the original and XL hardware. Things like how much power it has, not having dual analogue controls, and how poor the actual 3D viewing is on the base and XL models. Short of a game coming out for it worth getting excited about I don't think anyone needs to upgrade to this thing right away, though, unless this is the thing all games are going to be made for.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Man, this is kind of a bummer given I already have a 3ds xl. It looks great and the Xenoblade game is something I'd like to play as well, but as a responsible adult I couldn't shell out that money for a system I already own.

I wonder how many games they'll put out in the future exclusive to this new skew though? If you think about it too long It's kind of a f you to the rest of us that already own a 3ds. "Hey, here's an awesome new game, but all of you that bought our system already can't play it. Only the people who buy this newer and cooler looking iteration can." Whatever though. I don't really see a reason to be too upset right now given the only announced exclusive game is available on another system that almost everybody owns.

It's a great proposition for people who've held off on buying one so far.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Corevi
    @themanwithnoplan said:

Whatever though. I don't really see a reason to be too upset right now given the only announced exclusive game is available on another system that almost everybody owns.

Except the actual game is really hard to get for a semi-reasonable price. 150 bucks on Amazon.ca.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan said:

Whatever though. I don't really see a reason to be too upset right now given the only announced exclusive game is available on another system that almost everybody owns.

Except the actual game is really hard to get for a semi-reasonable price. 150 bucks on Amazon.ca.

Hmm, I guess that is true...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: Thinking about how a hand would grip a handheld device with a nub near the bottom, and I don't think it would work at all. Your hand needs to be able to hold a majority of the weight comfortably and with your thumb trying to stretch to the bottom of the device your rig hand would be twisted awkwardly while balancing half the 3DS.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

They seems really shitty to me as someone who just bought a 3DS XL last year.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ottoman673

They'll make the next new (not remade) Pokémon title exclusive to this thing, and then everyone will buy it and not care.

Hey, if there's some solid Wii ports coming to this thing, I wouldn't mind Twilight Princess on the go.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? Who was looking for a new 3ds reboot now? I guess I've had my red base 3ds for years now but I didn't even consider a new console launching. All my games are digital, if you want me to buy this nintendo you need to let me transfer my purchases or I'm out of this thing

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#65 chaser324  Moderator

What? Who was looking for a new 3ds reboot now? I guess I've had my red base 3ds for years now but I didn't even consider a new console launching. All my games are digital, if you want me to buy this nintendo you need to let me transfer my purchases or I'm out of this thing

There's never been any issue with transferring purchases on any previous DS iterations, so I don't think you have anything to be concerned about if you decide to buy this new model.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Ah crap, exclusive games? Xenoblade Chronicles is a game I've always wanted to try.

Gah. I seriously don't want to spend money on this, but its looking like I will. Ergh.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By conmulligan

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Ah crap, exclusive games? Xenoblade Chronicles is a game I've always wanted to try.

Gah. I seriously don't want to spend money on this, but its looking like I will. Ergh.

Yeah, me too, and I don't even want play Xenoblade Chronicles.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Very irritating. I wouldn't have minded so much if it was a big jump forward (like DS -> 3DS was or PSP -> Vita). Maybe this new hardware will let them emulate SNES, so we can have Earthbound on New 3DS (that name is so stupid...)?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo wants to die, holy shit. Who is naming their new consoles? Parents are probably confused enough with the 2DS, now they'll have 3DS games that don't work on the 3DS.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 chaser324  Moderator

I'm not sure I really understand the outrage from some people. By the time this is released, it will have been nearly four years since the 3DS launched. I don't feel like that's all that unreasonable a time frame for Nintendo to be making a more significant hardware revision (CPU, control scheme, etc.) - unlike the "New 3DS" (absolutely terrible name), the 3DS XL and 2DS were only form factor changes.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really like the prospect of possibly having to junk my perfectly fine existing 3DS, but I never did buy an XL, so maybe it's finally time to upgrade?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hostile" is not the right word where it seems more like "apathy". Its like trying to "get hype!" on another Nook. I'm sure people are excited about another e-reader...as long as you ignore that next gen hardware and software that looks much more progressive from Android and Apple.

nasedase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo has always started out with barebones hardware and then upgraded throughout the years. This is absolutely no surprise. Xenoblade would likely not be possible without the CPU upgrade so would GB users rather not have a Xenoblade portable?

It's not yet time for a whole new handheld so this upgrade is the next best thing in my opinion, and it's the best hardware update that Nintendo's done.

Stop getting mad at shit you don't have to be a part of, Internet.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@chaser324: They've completely destroyed the 3DS brand. They have four 3DS handhelds out there and three have the same damn name, but only one of them gets these new exclusives.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'd be more upset about this if I wasn't already in possession of a copy of Xenoblade (that I'm holding onto for a friend and haven't actually played, naturally). This is basically a Gameboy Color/DSi half-step upgrade, and unless they release something like the next Fire Emblem on this thing I will be fine not getting rid of my regular 3DS.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 chaser324  Moderator

@dallas_raines: Yeah, I certainly can't disagree with their naming scheme for everything being terrible.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pass. I often forget that I have a 3DS, so I don't see the point in upgrading to the New3DS.

It has some sexy faceplates, though.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God dammit. My XL isn't even a year old! They got Xenoblade, though, so I guess there's really no point fighting it... I am weak.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like everything about this except the name. New Super Mario Brothers was a bad name and this is a bad name. It could not be any less forward-thinking. I really hope they call it something else outside of Japan the way they do with XL/LL.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@twolines: Since 2004 they've consistently released a new DS model every year or two. DS > DS lite > DSi > DSiXL > 3DS > 3DSXL > 2DS and now this one.

I'd been thinking recently of getting a 3DS so depending on the price and bundles I might pick this up.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I still don't have a 3DS. It's the first Nintendo handheld that I haven't gotten ASAP. This seems really neat. However, I refuse to buy a modern device where my purchases aren't tied to my account. Being tied to the hardware is ass backwards. I refuse to buy another Nintendo system until that's fixed.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like they are doing this to bump the power to around that of the Wii for ports and things. For instance: Xenoblade Chronicles on the new 3DS:

Loading Video...

And here's the announcement trailer for the new 3DS by the way:

Loading Video...

heyupikablu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess I'm giving/selling my 3ds to my boyfriend for the new model. Mainly for that c stick. DID ANYONE else see the added z buttons?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#85  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Hmmm, while I could upgrade my OG 3DS at this point and am really glad they're catering to those who can't stand the XL screen with a regular sized version, I can't afford it when I have the 3DS OG and the only exclusive so far is Xenoblade of all things. The second "stick" looks awkward, too.

Dope for those who can afford an upgrade that is finally meaningful though.

Tonch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Tonch

I got my original 3DS on launch day, so I'm not as miffed as people who bought newer 3DS versions, but I'm still a bit peeved. Don't get me wrong, I've been waiting for an excuse to get an XL for a long time, and it looks like this will be it, but I'm really concerned about the way this splits the user base and the decisions developers have to make for it.

Moreover, I really want to hold one of these things. The d-pad had better be improved (original sucked), and I'm not so thrilled about the cart slot and power button being along the bottom edge... I'm wary of the pathetic little c-stick too. At least the blue color NXL looks great. I hated the colors of the current XL.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@chaser324: They've completely destroyed the 3DS brand. They have four 3DS handhelds out there and three have the same damn name, but only one of them gets these new exclusives.

To be fair, when I tried to buy a regular 3DS in June none of the retailers near me stocked them anymore. They'd only carry the XL or the 2DS. I'm surprised the base model hasn't been phased out completely already. If retailers continue to only stock two models then that won't be nearly as confusing for consumers.

Avatar image for deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9
    deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like they're trying to thinly veil a new handheld.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep forgetting that this won't come out outside Japan until 2015 (at which point; we should know about what games are coming to it). No one has to make a firm stance on buying it now.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My opinion of this thing rides on what exclusive games come down the line for it. I got an XL last Christmas and don't mind missing out on some Wii ports that I can already play on my Wii. Similarly, there are also alternatives for games designed with a second analog stick in mind. Improved speed for downloads and 3D functionality won't be a deal breaker for anyone already owning a 3DS of some kind. It really depends on whether new titles that aren't ports are made for this thing that can't run on the old hardware. That would a shitty gesture to people already owning a 3DS/2DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually kind of upset about this. I just got a 3DS XL last year telling myself I wouldn't need to upgrade again, and not even one year later they unveil this. I could deal without all the dinky little things they added but the fact that there will be games like Xenoblade that will ONLY work on this new 3DS irritates me.

If somehow my Pokemn X/Y 3DS becomes super valuable, sure, I'd sell it and upgrade to this. Otherwise I don't think I can justify upgrading my 3DS again.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Thanks for the answer, I suppose that makes me less reluctant to consider an upgrade down the line.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 10 and 6 year olds have 3DS and 2DS respectively - and I've frankly gotten a little jealous and my plan was to pick up one for myself in the coming weeks. Looks like I'll be waiting until 2015. I'm a big fan of two sticks (vita is my only handheld right now) so the inclusion of even a tiny little right stick (nub) is fine with me. I just wish they would have put one in from day one. Name is terrible though. New 3DS - someone got paid to come up with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.