Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Thinking about buying a 3DS, please convince me otherwise

Anlino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Anlino

For whatever reason I have been thinking a lot about buying a Nintendo 3DS lately, and, like the title says, I need your help to convince me not to. Below you'll find a list with my reasons for why I should buy the 3DS. Debunk them, would you kindly.

• There's been a lot of crappy titles for the 3DS, but Ocarina of Time is one my top games of all time and Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, which both will be released this christmas, are looking great. More first-party titles must be on the way for 2012.
    • I have been thinking about purchasing a DSi to catch up with the DS titles that have been released since I last owned the system, so I might as well purchase a 3DS.
    • The Virtual Console service on the console is pretty barren right now, but there are more titles on the way (playing Metroid Fusion is a christmas tradition of mine).
    • With the recent price cut, the 3DS is pretty cheap. I can afford it.

So, that's my reasons. Nintendos first party titles have been my bread and butter since my first console, and even though I feel like they fucked me over pretty good with the Wii (ignoring the first and last year of the console), I'm hopeful that the 3DS eventually could be a return to form.

There it is. Now tear me apart.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GoofyGoober

Well those all seem like decent reasons to buy the 3DS, with that being said we all know how Nintendo are with their handhelds....

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By OneManX

Honestly, if you want to wait and see, then you should just wait and see.

It's your money dude, you can do whatever you want with it. i got a 3DS, I dont play it as much as I used to when i first got it, but I still mange to get a quick fight in Street Fighter every now and then.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

Get one so you can have it collect dust like mine does. I should finish Ocarina but I'm waiting for Mario 3D Land.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

Well at least wait a few months until some more games come out.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CountMacula

The biggest reason I can think of is the inevitable 3DS redesign. However if memory serves, there was an 18month gap between the NA release of the DS & DS Lite.

If you feel like you can wait another year then do so, otherwise I'd say buy it if you feel like it & can afford it.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By awe_stuck

IDK. For $400 you can get a 10 inch netbook asus transformer. its a giant android 3.0 and its touch touch baby. with nvidia dual core and 1080p graphics (720p on screen)

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GS_Dan

@Anlino said:

• There's been a lot of crappy titles for the 3DS, but Ocarina of Time is one my top games of all time and Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, which both will be released this christmas, are looking great. More first-party titles must be on the way for 2012.

You've played Ocarina. You've played Mario Kart. Mario 3D will be very similar to other Mario games. Wait another year for games you haven't played yet :)

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By onarum

Don't buy a 3DS!

There, I tried my best.

on a more serious note, dude, just wait for the 3DS lite.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Hey dipshit, there's 1 game you want to play. Wait until there's more. Seriously. Zelda's great, but not $200 great. Just. Fuckin'. Wait.

Anlino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Anlino

@awe_stuck: It won't play Nintendo titles though.

@Dante87: Yeah, I guess. I have no problem with how the current model looks, but I am a bit afraid that this will end up being integrated with the console when the next iteration is released. Not sure that Nintendo would dare.

@TooWalrus: That and a few hundred interesting games that were released for the DS and I never got around to at the time. They cost peanuts now and should be enough to keep me busy between the worthwhile 3DS titles.

But Wikipedias list of upcoming 3DS titles does make depressing reading material.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't really think I can decide for you considering all Nintendo has to do to get me to buy one is to localize Love Plus.

(Come on Nintendo, you know you want to localize it).

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

If you think there's enough good games for a console to justify the purchase of the console itself, you should buy it regardless of whether or not it's going to be successful. But the decision is ultimately up to you. It always depends on your tastes in games. In the end, it only matters that you're getting your moneys worth out of that up front cost.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By sins_of_mosin

You might have one great month then burn thru all playable content. I would only ever consider buying one if you are on a bus/train for more then two hours a day AND you can't read as a ereader would be a better option.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By TehFlan

Ocarina is pretty sweet, dude. And between that and whatever games you want to buy for DSi, you ought to be good until Super Mario comes out in November. If you've got the money, you may as well just buy the thing, unless you're willing to wait until the hardware revision, and that might not be for awhile. It's up to you, though. Don't let any of us make the decision for you.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By James_ex_machina

The battery life sucks. Wait for a revision.

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skullo

The battery life sucks. Wait for a revision.

@James_ex_machina said:

How bad is it?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1

@TooWalrus said:

Hey dipshit, there's 1 game you want to play. Wait until there's more. Seriously. Zelda's great, but not $200 great. Just. Fuckin'. Wait.
    Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By James_ex_machina
    @Skullo 3 to 5 hours. If you turn off 3D and turn down brightness it's longer.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iDarktread

@Anlino:

I bought a DSi XL for $170 USD over the weekend to replace my DS Lite. It was located directly above the 3DS shelf. I do not own a 3DS -- I am waiting for the revised model that will come.

Here's a fact about me:

• I love The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with all of my heart

Okay? Okay.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By DarthOrange

If zelda 64 is truly one of your all time favorites then just go ahead and buy it. I bought a psp the minute i found out i could play the original crash bandicoot trilogy on it. Never regreted it once. Nostalgia makes everything worthwhile.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tan

@Anlino: @Anlino said:

For whatever reason I have been thinking a lot about buying a Nintendo 3DS lately, and, like the title says, I need your help to convince me not to. Below you'll find a list with my reasons for why I should buy the 3DS. Debunk them, would you kindly.

• I have been thinking about purchasing a DSi to catch up with the DS titles that have been released since I last owned the system, so I might as well purchase a 3DS.
    • The Virtual Console service on the console is pretty barren right now, but there are more titles on the way (playing Metroid Fusion is a christmas tradition of mine).
    • With the recent price cut, the 3DS is pretty cheap. I can afford it.

So, that's my reasons. Nintendos first party titles have been my bread and butter since my first console, and even though I feel like they fucked me over pretty good with the Wii (ignoring the first and last year of the console), I'm hopeful that the 3DS eventually could be a return to form.

There it is. Now tear me apart.

->Download Ocarina on the virtual console, Play Mario Kart Wii, nothing about Super Mario 3D Land is exciting outside of it being a Mario game.

->Wait, so you don't have a regular DS? Can't understand why you'd want a 3DS then.

->Metroid Fusion is far from on the way, don't expect it for christmas if you're not an ambassador, hell I'm not even expecting the full version of it before christmas and I'm an ambassador.

->You can afford a lot of things with $170.

~Hope that helps :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.