Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Which Mega Man should I play?

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just bought a 3DSXL and I was browsing the eShop. I noticed they have a ton of Mega Man games and I though maybe now would be a good time to try one. I never played one before so I thought of come hereto ask which one would be a good start?

Also I was shocked to see they don't have any GBA games on the shop, any idea why they're holding them ack? I'd pay a lot for the Advanced Final Fantasys and the Holden Sun/Fire Emblem games.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 2 is the most well-regarded of the NES games. I really like 3 as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I started with Mega Man X, so naturally I think it's the best one. That's X, by the way, not ten. Two different games. Weird, huh?

For Mega Man games that you can actually play on the 3DS, though, I recommend 2 from the eShop and getting ZX and the Mega Man Zero Collection on the original DS. ZX was a lot of fun and Mega Man Zero 3 is one of my favorites. Four is no slouch, either. You might have to do some searching for those, though, as they're original DS carts that were released a while ago.

EDIT: A note - most 2D Mega Man games are known for difficulty, and the goal of Mega Man Zero was to make the most difficult Mega Man game. Whether they succeeded is debatable; whether it will make you pull your hair out and try again for hours on end isn't. Zero 4 is more sane but it's still no slouch, especially in these days of hand-holdy AAA games. Just know that going in. They are beat-able (Zero 3 is so much fun) but it's going to take some patience and skill to do so.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By maccyd

@believer258: lol I remember when Might & Magic X was first announced, people were saying "it's copying Megaman!". I was just wondering that being RPG gamers, you'd think they'd know their roman numerals. :/

Difficulty-wise how those megaman X compare to Super Meat Boy?

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 and 3 are regarded as the better of the original series. If you're interested, definitely pick them up. After that the series kind of breaks down and fans opinions really start to differ. I like 4 and 5 a bunch, but I know plenty of people who say that's where Megaman started to become stale.

@maccyd said:

@believer258: lol I remember when Might & Magic X was first announced, people were saying "it's copying Megaman!". I was just wondering that being RPG gamers, you'd think they'd know their roman numerals.

Megaman X has a nice difficulty curve that eases you into the game. I don't think it's really comparable to Super Meat Boy, but I'll say it's easier.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By living4theday258

Megaman isn't super meat boy hard if that's what your asking.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Best music, best game

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega Man 2 for sure.

Some of the best music in a video game ever. Amazing for what they had to work with at the time.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

2 or 3

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skip the rest

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

@joeyoe31 said:

2 and 3 are regarded as the better of the original series. If you're interested, definitely pick them up. After that the series kind of breaks down and fans opinions really start to differ. I like 4 and 5 a bunch, but I know plenty of people who say that's where Megaman started to become stale.

@maccyd said:

@believer258: lol I remember when Might & Magic X was first announced, people were saying "it's copying Megaman!". I was just wondering that being RPG gamers, you'd think they'd know their roman numerals.

Megaman X has a nice difficulty curve that eases you into the game. I don't think it's really comparable to Super Meat Boy, but I'll say it's easier.

A funny note - I couldn't tell you how difficult Mega Man X is these days. The last time I played it, I blazed through it with only a death or two. EDIT: Not that it actually is easy, just that I've memorized it at this point.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I played through 2 on a Saturday about a month and a half ago. BEST decision ever! Listen to this and all will make sense my fellow duder.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Mega Man 2 and 3 are the best of the originals. Xtreme is also coming out on the eshop, but don't play those until you've played the X games.

As for why no GBA games, the only GBA games for the 3DS are the ambassador ones. Apparently Nintendo is bringing GBA games to Wii U instead of 3DS for some reason.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MM2 is the one most people enjoy the most, and for good reason. I'm partial to any of them though and I think 3 added a lot of cool stuff, like the slide ability and Rush.

Mega Man X is also pretty amazing, if those games are on the store.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maccyd

@turtlebird95: I'm happy they're bringing GBA games in the first place but what? Sounds like yet another gimmick to try increase Wii U sales...Wonder those this change the rumours of Gamecube game on Wii U...

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Mega Man 2 and Mega Man X.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. 2 and X.

Loading Video...

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By Daneian

9 but since that's not on the 3DS eShop, then 2 and 3.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I guess try one if you want to know how Mega Man got its starts, but 2 is the best game so you can try that first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.