Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Why did everyone suddenly decide the 3DS is doing alright now?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By BisonHero

I remember that during the first 6-12 months of the 3DS being out, there was a lot of doom and gloom about the system not doing well, not having any games, and people just not being sure if it was going to take off. Then at some point halfway through 2012, I noticed that most gaming journalists seem to be of the opinion that it's doing pretty alright, and that now the Vita is the thing to worry about. I'm just not sure why opinions suddenly turned around, when not a whole lot has changed.

Was it really just the 3DS price drop that did it? I know it certainly helped, but a price-dropped handheld with few great games is still a handheld with few great games. Or did the switch happen when Super Mario 3D Land came out, and it was legitimately awesome? People seem to think that Kid Icarus was certainly polished and full of content, but the controls ultimately weren't for everybody, and I don't think of it as the must have game for the system. Mario Kart 7 is functional, but meh, it's Mario Kart again. Ditto for New Super Mario Bros. 2. There is some good 3DSWare, but I don't think any of it is so great that it turned around opinion on the 3DS.

It just doesn't seem like the system has improved that much in the past year. The price was already cut this time last year. Since then, they've had basically 2 notably polished games (3D Land, Kid Icarus), and 2 Mario games that were sorta phoned in. I guess we have another Professor Layton out this year and a (hopefully return to form) Paper Mario, but these are all the series you expect to come out on a Nintendo handheld, and are largely formulaic at this point (aside from the 2 standout games mentioned). Is the Vita just doing so terribly that suddenly it's high fives all around for the 3DS' so-so library at this point?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BisonHero

I remember that during the first 6-12 months of the 3DS being out, there was a lot of doom and gloom about the system not doing well, not having any games, and people just not being sure if it was going to take off. Then at some point halfway through 2012, I noticed that most gaming journalists seem to be of the opinion that it's doing pretty alright, and that now the Vita is the thing to worry about. I'm just not sure why opinions suddenly turned around, when not a whole lot has changed.

Was it really just the 3DS price drop that did it? I know it certainly helped, but a price-dropped handheld with few great games is still a handheld with few great games. Or did the switch happen when Super Mario 3D Land came out, and it was legitimately awesome? People seem to think that Kid Icarus was certainly polished and full of content, but the controls ultimately weren't for everybody, and I don't think of it as the must have game for the system. Mario Kart 7 is functional, but meh, it's Mario Kart again. Ditto for New Super Mario Bros. 2. There is some good 3DSWare, but I don't think any of it is so great that it turned around opinion on the 3DS.

It just doesn't seem like the system has improved that much in the past year. The price was already cut this time last year. Since then, they've had basically 2 notably polished games (3D Land, Kid Icarus), and 2 Mario games that were sorta phoned in. I guess we have another Professor Layton out this year and a (hopefully return to form) Paper Mario, but these are all the series you expect to come out on a Nintendo handheld, and are largely formulaic at this point (aside from the 2 standout games mentioned). Is the Vita just doing so terribly that suddenly it's high fives all around for the 3DS' so-so library at this point?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

The price drop and there are games out for it now.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MideonNViscera

It just has good games coming out semi-steadily. Plus the XL is sweet.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

For me, it's basically the assertion that I will have to buy one anyways because of the new Fire Emblem game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ArbitraryWater said:

For me, it's basically the assertion that I will have to buy one anyways because of the new Fire Emblem game.

Same here.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I even heard some people claiming handheld gaming was dead!, haha, how wrong were they!.

...Kingdom Hearts DDD, is as polished as they come on 3DS.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

Pretty much the price drop and the fact there are games out for it now. I also don't think saying there are only two polished games is fair. RE:Revelations, Kingdom Hearts and Theatrhythm might not be to everyones tastes, but they all seem like well made games. Not to mention some of the stuff on the e-shop being really good.

There are quite a lot of games out for the system, just because some of them have gotten no attention at all doesn't mean they are not worth playing. Rhythm Thief, Shinobi and DOA Dimensions etc are all pretty good games. I think NSMB2 was a total misstep though. I hate that Nintendo forced such a boring and uninteresting game out over something like Luigi's Mansion.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Hunter5024

Between those 64 remakes, the price drop, 3d Land, Kid Icarus, NSMB2, some popular series that everyone knows are coming (Paper Mario, Fire Emblem etc) and the price drop it's starting to look pretty solid. When you get right down to it the only exclusives Vita has going for it are still just Uncharted, and Gravity Rush, with little on the horizon and a still pretty overpriced machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We really got to learn to stop betting against Nintendo

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I think it's more that it has been crushing it sales-wise lately. I'm certainly not disappointed with mine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TeflonBilly said:

We really got to learn to stop betting against Nintendo

I think u hit the nail in the coffin with that one,

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the price drop happened, and a ton of mario games.
    t's still a financial disaster especially compared to the original DS, but its unit sales are healthy now, in Japan at least. (And everywhere, compared to the Vita, which now gets all that hate.) 

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By sickVisionz

People think it's doing alright now because it's outpacing the DS, the best-selling gaming handheld ever. Personally, I think outselling the #1 seller is more than "doing alright now" but to each their own.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By Slag

@BisonHero said:

Sales of the Unit picked up dramatically after the price drop.

Thus what was once deemed a commercial failure is now deemed a success.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlatantNinja23

opinions changed because people realized it was actually selling well.... simple as that

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Phatmac

Cause Super Mario 3D Land is fucking awesome!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Animasta

@ArbitraryWater said:

For me, it's basically the assertion that I will have to buy one anyways because of the new Fire Emblem Shin Megami Tensei game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

A lower sale price and larger library of desirable games tends to change minds.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

For me, it's basically the assertion that I will have to buy one anyways because of the new Fire Emblem Shin Megami Tensei Fire Emblem game.

I have set you back on the right path.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SexyToad

It will be the same with the WiiU, tell your friends, SexyToad said it here first.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Dagbiker

Same thing will happen for the vita when Assiaians Creed: We Arnt Racest and Persona 4 Golden comes out.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

@Dagbiker said:

Same thing will happen for the vita when Assiaians Creed: We Arnt Racest and Persona 4 Golden comes out.

I'm not so sure. Persona 4 Golden seems like the Ocarina of Time 3D of the Vita, in that it might help sell some units for a month or two, but it's still just a rerelease, which is ultimately lame. However, if they do the unthinkable and make a great portable version of a console series, then yeah, the Assassin's Creed game might help the system a lot. On the other hand, everybody will be too busy playing actual Assassin's Creed 3 to be interested in playing a Vita Assassin's Creed.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't say it's alright when you take into account most third parties have already given up on it. Nintendo seems to be the only company that's supporting it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@Turtlebird95 said:

I wouldn't say it's alright when you take into account most third parties have already given up on it. Nintendo seems to be the only company that's supporting it.

What evidence do you have to back that up?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

As a 3DS owner I still feel like there's nothing new to play. When I own all the games I want for a given platform, there's a problem.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Animasta

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

For me, it's basically the assertion that I will have to buy one anyways because of the new Fire Emblem Shin Megami TenseiFire Emblem Shin Megami Tensei game.

I have set you back on the right path.

considering I've never even beaten a fire emblem game, I'm not about to get the new one (I got close on one of the GBA ones, but it got too annoying)

Plus it's been way too long since a proper SMT game, not since Nocturne (SJ doesn't count) so yah

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BisonHero

@MikkaQ said:

As a 3DS owner I still feel like there's nothing new to play. When I own all the games I want for a given platform, there's a problem.

Yeah, this is what I'm getting at.

3D Land is great by all accounts, and some people can gel with the controls in Kid Icarus, and if you're a huge Final Fantasy enthusiast or Kingdom Hearts enthusiast then Square Enix has released a couple games for you, but once you play through those, there isn't much else that really stands out in thea year and a half since launch. I get the impression that game journalists on this site and others seem to think the 3DS has proven that it's doing well now, but I just don't see it. There is a Professor Layton game and a Paper Mario game out this fall, plus next year brings Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, and hopefully Shin Megami Tensei, and maybe that will flesh out the library enough that it feels like there's a good variety of games for the system.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Hailinel said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

To clarify, I didn't mean they have given up literally on releasing games, I meant developers aren't even trying. Most 3DS games are just crappy ports of Lego and movie based games. Occasionally games like Revelations and KH come out, but that's not nearly enough.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By DoctorWelch

The price drop is the big thing I think. Go on Amazon and search for the 3DS, and then search for DS Lite/DSi and you will probably see why the 3DS is a pretty good deal.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By sodacat

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

To clarify, I didn't mean they have given up literally on releasing games, I meant developers aren't even trying. Most 3DS games are just crappy ports of Lego and movie based games. Occasionally games like Revelations and KH come out, but that's not nearly enough.

Monster Hunter and Megaten sound pretty significant to me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By GunstarRed

@BisonHero said:

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah, this is what I'm getting at.

3D Land is great by all accounts, and some people can gel with the controls in Kid Icarus, and if you're a huge Final Fantasy enthusiast or Kingdom Hearts enthusiast then Square Enix has released a couple games for you, but once you play through those, there isn't much else that really stands out in thea year and a half since launch. I get the impression that game journalists on this site and others seem to think the 3DS has proven that it's doing well now, but I just don't see it. There is a Professor Layton game and a Paper Mario game out this fall, plus next year brings Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, and hopefully Shin Megami Tensei, and maybe that will flesh out the library enough that it feels like there's a good variety of games for the system.

The problem with this is that the 3DS is still relatively young. Look at both the PS3 and the 360 and at the same point in their life how many games did they have of the same quality as Mario, Kid Icarus and Resident Evil? Not many (if any) that's for sure. I bought both of those consoles a year after their release and it was still a struggle to find many games that interested me for a huge chunk of time. I think for a machine that is only a year and a half old (?) it's doing considerably well on the games front.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlightConfuse

also helps there is a steady orignal DS release as well

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BisonHero
    @SlightConfuse

also helps there is a steady orignal DS release as well

That used to be true, but it has slowed down dramatically. In the last year, the only DS games of note were last fall's Professor Layton, Kirby Mass Attack, and (fairly niche) SMT: Devil Survivor 2, and most of those came out in 2011. Pokemon Black 2/White 2 are pretty much the last 2 things left for the DS.
    kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kindgineer

Because once something becomes relevant in terms of library of games, it starts to be noticed. Not everyone is a stubborn mule who holds everything to it's past and this is a great example. Nintendo will be remembered for it's crap launch (just listen to Wii-U game discussions) but people will continue their products when they deserve it.

Let's also not forget the system is a young-ling and this is generally how these things start out anyway.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Bollard

Because it has sold more than the DS in the same time window, and the DS was hella successful...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.