Why is the 3DS under preforming (Sales and expectations)?

• 60 results
#51 Posted by excido (200 posts) -

I'm a smartphone/tablet junkie, part of my work and also my personal passion. Even with that I still don't really like smartphone gaming and prefer a dedicated gaming handheld. I bought a 3DS last week and I'm trying to get in to ocarina of time now(first time 've played it). I really wish that we had more RPG's. I love Mario Kart 7, great game. just wish we had more games =\

#52 Edited by Kordesh (230 posts) -

Games. The games are killing it. Just got one as a gift for Christmas. I've been spending a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what to get for it because I can't find anything that particularly interests me. This is one of those things that should not be a problem...

If your into replaying old classics and retro games, yeah, there's stuff out there for it, but pretty much everything worth playing on the eStore seems to be ports of old GBA games and the retail titles suffer from the same "lets just bank on nostalgia" problem where its like they're trying to re-release their entire N64 library.

If we start seeing some more RPG titles, unique titles like The World Ends With You, and just some fresh stuff in general. Right now there doesn't seem to be much to do with it unless you're looking to get nostalgia'd to death or have not become tired of playing the 100th mario game and 10th iteration of Starfox. It's a shame, because it's otherwise a very neat little device, but there needs to be something to DO with it.

As a side note: No online multiplayer for the 3DS Monster Hunter.....really?.....no seriously, REALLY?

#53 Posted by EpicSteve (6492 posts) -

Are you arguing the 3DS' library is good? It has two good examples of worth-while titles. The N64 reboots are merely...reboots. It's great to have Ocarina for the sake of having it, but Nintendo relying on that game alone to carry the weight of the 3DS for several months is ludicrous. As another user posted above, their isn't that game that makes people feel like they have to own a 3DS, nor a great volume of good-enough titles to warrant a purchase.

#54 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

The real question is "Why the fuck is Tetris for the OG GameBoy not on Shop yet?!" The whole Shop as of right now seems pretty rubbish, and there's no way I could justify pouring money into it at this point, especially the very-lackluster VC section.

@NekuSakuraba said:

Mario Kart 7 - Mario Kart with new tracks, characters and customization.

Super Mario 3D Land - Awesome Mario games that combines 2D and 3D Mario well.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - One of the best games ever made, remade!

Star Fox 64 3D - Not that long but still a really good game.

Ghost Recon - A good tactical turn based game.

Devil survivor Overclocked - Good RPG game.

Pokemon Rumble blast - Decent non traditional pokemon game.

Now, that isn't a ton of games but they are pretty darn good but what everyone is waiting for is the upcoming games -

Kid Icarus

Animal Crossing

Paper Mario 3D

Super Smash Bros 3D

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

Resident Evil: Revelations

Snake Eater 3D

Luigi's Mansion 2

Future Nintendo franchise games (More Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc)

And more.

So why do you think the 3DS isn't as a big of a success as it could of been? It will likely gain more attention and sales but how about now? Also, do you think the Vita will do any better?

In my personal opinion, I'm very unimpressed with this list in general too. The only good thing I see here is MK7 (which I have yet to play myself, but if it's like the DS, it's going to be the only game I play on the thing).

SM3DLand I tried. It actually gave me a headache, partially from being halfassed between a 3D Mario platformer and the classic 2D ones. I know it's exactly what they were going for, but it didn't feel right or natural to me.

N64 remakes are just that; how or why Nintendo is relying on them for survival at this point is weak. I don't understand the fanatical love for OoT (I think MM was better, and OoT was meh), and SF64 I remember as a game that I loathed on the N64, just being far too annoying for my taste. As far as gaming has advanced, looking back at the DS and SM64DS' attempt to nurse the platform into life, this is looking pretty similar.

Did not even know that GR exists. Probably a bad sign.

DSO should be decent, if the first was any indication.

I've never been a fan of the Pokemon spinoffs bar Pinball. Wait, why isn't that on VC yet either?! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

In the upcoming games section, I'm only looking for Paper Mario, SSB and Luigi's Mansion 2 (and that's only pending me playing the first, which I just swung up at a garage sale not too long ago and haven't played yet). I really think Nintendo went in the wrong direction after the Wii era, as my 3DS is going the way of my PSP: a fancy Nintendo legacy emulator. Honestly, I've seen nothing that I want to play. I've owned it since the scambassador days, and have yet to purchase a single game for it.

#55 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

well after vita 2 weeks on market in japan and the fact 3ds is out selling that like 7 to 1

3ds does not look so bad afterall and is not bad as it passed ds launch yr sales ,-first yr on market for those knuckle heads

if 3ds was able to out sell ds in its first yr imagine what 3ds will do if this pace continues (remember ds ended up selling 150 m+)

#56 Posted by EternalEnigma (4 posts) -

Who are these people saying the 3DS library is bad? I wouldn't pay too much attention to what people are saying, people talk, that's what they do, but just take a look at the library yourself, you see that it's a solid library for now, so that should answer your question.

#57 Posted by Enigma777 (6078 posts) -

Because it fucking ux. no lane gives a shit about 3d. They want good graphic and a high res display with good battery. And good games The 3dg hasn't none of that. Plus iTMS overpriced and intends don't GI ve a shit

#58 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I bought this thing expecting Megaman Legends 3.

My rage still burns brighter than the brightest star.

#59 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

I bought this thing expecting Megaman Legends 3.

My rage still burns brighter than the brightest star.

I did not, but when I heard about how I wouldn't have the pleasure of playing mml3... RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

#60 Posted by Dixavd (1359 posts) -

Why have two older threads about this been brought back over the same topic? Surely continuing the conversation on one would be enough. Or is it purely so that one of them which was brought back was talking baout how sales were bad, while the other was talking about how sales were good. Is it some form of balancing out?

Surely by now a new thread could be made about it as a lot has changed in the last 7 months (5 for the other one).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.