Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Will Vita Sell Better?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

I was reading this article on IGN just now when I came across this claim by one of their writers, a Colin Moriaty. His article is called, "The PlayStation Vita Is Set to Succeed". Thoughts?

For better or for worse, Vita will be pitted against the Nintendo 3DS. But the comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and even if you were to pit them against each other, Vita is still destined to sell better. That's because in addition to games (which Nintendo 3DS is still sorely lacking), it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than 3DS. ...Vita is therefore not only echelons ahead of 3DS in terms of games, but it's light years ahead of Nintendo's handheld in terms of tech. ...The Nintendo 3DS is certainly not going to take the Vita out with N64 ports and tired, worn series.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

What does IGN know?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

No, if the 3DS can't sell the PS Vita has no chance.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Vita is just a more powerful PSP, if they actually think it can significantly outmatch the biggest handheld manufacturer in the industry just because they are doing poorly they're fucking delusional.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Buscemi

Yes, the 3DS is a horrible machine. Why they never skipped it and went straight to 4DS I will never know. Imagine experiencing playing games from one point in time to another, like five minutes later. That'd be something.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Haziqonfire

What a dumb article.. lol.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack268

I think for it's launch month, maybe. In the long run I think they will be equal.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By ManMadeGod

Did people not say the same exact thing when the PSP came out? I am honestly scared for Sony with the Vita but maybe that's just me.......

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By GS_Dan

I don't know. I've disagreed with Colin on a fair few things in the past.

I suspect that Vita is a far superior product than the 3DS and probably a better value proposition, but parents won't know that. Kids won't care, as long as they get Pokemon, Mario Kart, etc. Parents will just see the Nintendo name, the DS name and the cheaper price tag and go for the 3DS. The same thing happened with the PSP vs the DS.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's possible

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @zombie2011 said:

No, if the 3DS can't sell the PS Vita has no chance.

The 3DS has sold plenty.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@LordXavierBritish said:

Vita is just a more powerful PSP, if they actually think it can significantly outmatch the biggest handheld manufacturer in the industry just because they are doing poorly they're fucking delusional.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    It is?  So the PSP has two touch screens, accelerometers and can run Android apps?  By that reasoning a 3DS is just a more powerful DS and if its impact on Nintendo has been any indicator, its not been anywhere near a success but rather a distinct failure. 
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By tebbit

I think it's difficult to say whether it'll sell or not at this stage. If it does, it means handheld gaming can survive another generation. If it fails, expect the next Gameboy or PSP be a smart-phone.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sopranosfan

Maybe, it definitely seems to have some decent games in the launch window. If they would have been able to get it out before Christmas here I would have felt a lot better about it's odds but as it stands in my opinion I am about 50/50 on it's odds.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SlightConfuse

maybe id there is a decent launch up but with the price drop and decent titles on the horizon it might be hard

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By EVO

I doubt it. It's too expensive.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I don't think so.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ninjakiller

Sigh, handhelds as a concept are dead, it doesn't matter who releases them.  Cell phones and tablets have filled the portable gaming itch for the casual market, only hardcores like ourselves would consider a Vita or 3DS. 

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By benpicko

Yes. If it doesn't then I'll perform something similar to Tested's "Eat Your Words" segment.

Edit: Only time will tell how dumb this post was.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Commisar123

My totally uneducated opinion is no, but I've been wrong before. Well once....okay I'm never wrong happy?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1

I like to think of IGN as a portal to the future so yes... In actuality no one knows. A more realistic comparison would be that of the PSP and Vita.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Brendan

Replace "3DS" with "DS" and "Vita" with "PSP" and Colin could have copy and pasted that article from 6 years ago (estimate, I don't remember). Not much has changed. The DS didn't start off strongly with games either, and the PSP was far ahead of the Nintendo offering in terms of tech as well.

@Pr1mus: I can't believe I missed your comment. :P I'm glad that this is so obvious.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Contro

@Pr1mus said:

@Contro said:

I was reading this article on IGN just now when I came across this claim by one of their writers, a Colin Moriaty. His article is called, "The PlayStation Vita Is Set to Succeed". Thoughts?

For better or for worse, Vita will be pitted against the Nintendo 3DS. But the comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and even if you were to pit them against each other, Vita is still destined to sell better. That's because in addition to games (which Nintendo 3DS is still sorely lacking), it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than 3DS. ...Vita is therefore not only echelons ahead of 3DS in terms of games, but it's light years ahead of Nintendo's handheld in terms of tech. ...The Nintendo 3DS is certainly not going to take the Vita out with N64 ports and tired, worn series.

It's funny because look what happens when you replace the words 3DS and Vita by DS and PSP in that last phrase.

it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than DS. ...PSP is therefore not only echelons ahead of DS in terms of games, but it's light years ahead of Nintendo's handheld in terms of tech. ...The Nintendo DS is certainly not going to take the PSP out with N64 ports and tired, worn series.

I'm pretty sure this exact phrase would have made a ton of sense back in 04-05...

Yea this crossed my mind also, for the very same thing happened with the PSP, although no writers I knew at the time made such grandiose statements so casually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.