Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Yes, Friends, We've Seen the 3DS eShop

• 56 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    The glory of the eShop in all its...storeness.

Just one day before Nintendo reveals its next console, the company will update its recently launched 3DS handheld with its first major system update, which adds the much desired and podcasted eShop. Nintendo walked through us (and by us, I mean yours truly and the mysterious operator of the Nintendownload-Xpress) through a finalized version of the eShop here in San Francisco.

Nintendo of America director of eShop operations David Wharton, a position only a few months old, was there to show off the revamped digital marketplace. It only took a few moments for the eShop to prove itself far superior to the current experience on DSi, but that's not really saying much, seeing as how Nintendo's marketplaces are currently a total nightmare to navigate and buy anything.

First off, the games. You can download a 3D version of NES classic Excitebike for free, the first in Nintendo's "3D Classics" line. It's only free for 30 days, though, and $5.99 after that.

It's a little more than just a ROM with some 3D gimmickry, too. In 2D mode, Excitebike looks exactly like Excitebike, albeit better controlling thanks to the circle pad. Move the slider into 3D, however, and the perspective tilts back to reveal more of the environment, including the sky.

It's a remarkably cool effect to manipulate, and shows a little more thought was put into the 3D than layered sprites. Nintendo's even included much needed save slots for the track editor.

Wharton said there would be a "steady stream" of additions to the "3D Classics" line, but didn't reveal anything more. I do remember a 3D version of Punch-Out!! looking great at last year's E3.

== TEASER ==

Virtual Console launches on June 6, as well, but only with Game Boy games. The promised Game Gear and TurboGrafx-16 titles are coming eventually but not at launch. Super Mario Land will be available and priced at $3.99, with backup from Alleyway and Radar Mission at $2.99 each.

You can tell this isn't taken from the 3D mode because the sky isn't viewable.

You might notice the complete lack of references to "points." That's intentional; points are gone in the eShop, replaced entirely by regular ol' dollars and cents. Warton said game releases on the eShop start at $1.99 and move up in dollar increments. As of right now, there's no way for companies to create promotional codes as on other services, so don't go wait around for giveaways yet. There will also not be any demos at launch, but Warton said it's not something that won't appear eventually on the eShop.

Purchasing through the eShop is roughly the same experience as the rest of Nintendo's digital storefronts. The eShop accepts Visa and Mastercard, in addition to retail cards, but it will not save your information. There's hope, though, as Wharton said it's only this way "for now." One addition Nintendo's made is the "Wish List," which does exactly what it says. You can add unreleased games to the list, but you can't digitally pre-order those games ahead of time.

All of this information is tied into your Club Nintendo account, though you can't view the "Wish List" outside of the eShop. You do, however, earn redeemable coins from purchasing games--no never-ending surveys yet! Wharton didn't rule out the ability to access things like the "Wish List" on Nintendo.com, but it definitely sounds like Nintendo is laying down some long-needed infrastructure to create portability of accounts, friends and software from platform-to-platform.

There are some much needed interface tweaks, too, such as the ability to start a search through the eShop from the main menu. The search will prove useful at launch, too, as the eShop will have most of the content from the DSiWare store, resulting in over 350 pieces of content all on June 6.

"Most" content being the key word, unfortunately. Here's what won't transfer at launch:

• Art Academy First Semester
    • Art Academy Second Semester
    • Asphalt IV
    • Crash-Course Domo
    • Earthworm Jim
    • Flipnote Studio
    • Hard-Hat Domo
    • Let's Golf
    • Nintendo DSi Browser
    • Oregon Trail
    • Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon
    • Pro-Putt Domo
    • Real Soccer 2009
    • Real Soccer 2010
    • Rock-n-Roll Domo
    • SUDOKU MASTER
    • SUDOKU SENSEI
    • Sudoku Student
    • White-Water Domo

Wharton said Nintendo was working to have the entire library become transferrable eventually. The old content's also been beefed up with more information, with Nintendo adding screen shot galleries and videos for much of the content in the store, including all of the old games, too.

In general, there's just more ways to browse content from the user's perspective and more options for Nintendo to categorize it. Some of the launch categories include simple stuff like two-player and four-player software and a listing of everything Mario-related. Nintendo even has the option to promote existing and upcoming retail releases on 3DS and didn't rule out the possibility for Wii games, either. There's also a news feed and charts tracking the most purchased games.

Poke. Poke. Poke. Poke. Poke. Poke. Mon.

For all ya'll Pokemaniacs, Nintendo's also launching the ridiculous PokeDex 3D. If you've wanted an obsessively detailed encyclopedia of Pokemon rendered in 3D, with listings of each individual Pokemon's powers, form changes and basically anything else, PokeDex 3D seems neat. It doesn't feature every Pokemon ever, though, only the ones from the recent Pokemon Black/White. You don't have access to all of them from the start, either. Instead, you receive 16 random Pokemon. You'll collect the rest through direct exchanges with friends and Spot Pass.

PokeDex 3D's available at launch, too, and in addition to being free when the firmware goes live, it'll always be free.

Nintendo's online services have been the butt of jokes, to the detriment of some of the great games featured on both the console and handheld services. The eShop seems to represent a good step in the right direction, but what's more important is what Nintendo does after the launch to support the evolution of the eShop and the changing nature of what consumers want. The formation of the division Wharton is part of seems to imply Nintendo's getting ready to listen. Here's hoping that's true.

And, yes, we've heard the music. But that, dear reader, is for another day.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Just one day before Nintendo reveals its next console, the company will update its recently launched 3DS handheld with its first major system update, which adds the much desired and podcasted eShop. Nintendo walked through us (and by us, I mean yours truly and the mysterious operator of the Nintendownload-Xpress) through a finalized version of the eShop here in San Francisco.

Nintendo of America director of eShop operations David Wharton, a position only a few months old, was there to show off the revamped digital marketplace. It only took a few moments for the eShop to prove itself far superior to the current experience on DSi, but that's not really saying much, seeing as how Nintendo's marketplaces are currently a total nightmare to navigate and buy anything.

First off, the games. You can download a 3D version of NES classic Excitebike for free, the first in Nintendo's "3D Classics" line. It's only free for 30 days, though, and $5.99 after that.

It's a little more than just a ROM with some 3D gimmickry, too. In 2D mode, Excitebike looks exactly like Excitebike, albeit better controlling thanks to the circle pad. Move the slider into 3D, however, and the perspective tilts back to reveal more of the environment, including the sky.

It's a remarkably cool effect to manipulate, and shows a little more thought was put into the 3D than layered sprites. Nintendo's even included much needed save slots for the track editor.

Wharton said there would be a "steady stream" of additions to the "3D Classics" line, but didn't reveal anything more. I do remember a 3D version of Punch-Out!! looking great at last year's E3.

== TEASER ==

Virtual Console launches on June 6, as well, but only with Game Boy games. The promised Game Gear and TurboGrafx-16 titles are coming eventually but not at launch. Super Mario Land will be available and priced at $3.99, with backup from Alleyway and Radar Mission at $2.99 each.

You might notice the complete lack of references to "points." That's intentional; points are gone in the eShop, replaced entirely by regular ol' dollars and cents. Warton said game releases on the eShop start at $1.99 and move up in dollar increments. As of right now, there's no way for companies to create promotional codes as on other services, so don't go wait around for giveaways yet. There will also not be any demos at launch, but Warton said it's not something that won't appear eventually on the eShop.

Purchasing through the eShop is roughly the same experience as the rest of Nintendo's digital storefronts. The eShop accepts Visa and Mastercard, in addition to retail cards, but it will not save your information. There's hope, though, as Wharton said it's only this way "for now." One addition Nintendo's made is the "Wish List," which does exactly what it says. You can add unreleased games to the list, but you can't digitally pre-order those games ahead of time.

All of this information is tied into your Club Nintendo account, though you can't view the "Wish List" outside of the eShop. You do, however, earn redeemable coins from purchasing games--no never-ending surveys yet! Wharton didn't rule out the ability to access things like the "Wish List" on Nintendo.com, but it definitely sounds like Nintendo is laying down some long-needed infrastructure to create portability of accounts, friends and software from platform-to-platform.

There are some much needed interface tweaks, too, such as the ability to start a search through the eShop from the main menu. The search will prove useful at launch, too, as the eShop will have most of the content from the DSiWare store, resulting in over 350 pieces of content all on June 6.

"Most" content being the key word, unfortunately. Here's what won't transfer at launch:

• Art Academy First Semester
    • Art Academy Second Semester
    • Asphalt IV
    • Crash-Course Domo
    • Earthworm Jim
    • Flipnote Studio
    • Hard-Hat Domo
    • Let's Golf
    • Nintendo DSi Browser
    • Oregon Trail
    • Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon
    • Pro-Putt Domo
    • Real Soccer 2009
    • Real Soccer 2010
    • Rock-n-Roll Domo
    • SUDOKU MASTER
    • SUDOKU SENSEI
    • Sudoku Student
    • White-Water Domo

Wharton said Nintendo was working to have the entire library become transferrable eventually. The old content's also been beefed up with more information, with Nintendo adding screen shot galleries and videos for much of the content in the store, including all of the old games, too.

In general, there's just more ways to browse content from the user's perspective and more options for Nintendo to categorize it. Some of the launch categories include simple stuff like two-player and four-player software and a listing of everything Mario-related. Nintendo even has the option to promote existing and upcoming retail releases on 3DS and didn't rule out the possibility for Wii games, either. There's also a news feed and charts tracking the most purchased games.

For all ya'll Pokemaniacs, Nintendo's also launching the ridiculous PokeDex 3D. If you've wanted an obsessively detailed encyclopedia of Pokemon rendered in 3D, with listings of each individual Pokemon's powers, form changes and basically anything else, PokeDex 3D seems neat. It doesn't feature every Pokemon ever, though, only the ones from the recent Pokemon Black/White. You don't have access to all of them from the start, either. Instead, you receive 16 random Pokemon. You'll collect the rest through direct exchanges with friends and Spot Pass.

PokeDex 3D's available at launch, too, and in addition to being free when the firmware goes live, it'll always be free.

Nintendo's online services have been the butt of jokes, to the detriment of some of the great games featured on both the console and handheld services. The eShop seems to represent a good step in the right direction, but what's more important is what Nintendo does after the launch to support the evolution of the eShop and the changing nature of what consumers want. The formation of the division Wharton is part of seems to imply Nintendo's getting ready to listen. Here's hoping that's true.

And, yes, we've heard the music. But that, dear reader, is for another day.

Volkodlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Volkodlak

Cool, does Jeff know about this? I don't think he can be trusted...

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By _Phara0h_
    No Caption Provided
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PillClinton

This isn't NDX.  GETOUTTAHERE

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By jorbear

I hear a train coming....

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dingofighter

Nintendo walked through Jeff and Patrick, holy crap! 
    How did it feel? 
    Oh, yeah, eShop woo!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MisterMouse
    @THAfara0: yes.
    Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Pop

train 
    cannot 
    be 
    stopped

Philzpilz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Philzpilz

I don't understand, what is this stuff with the words?  Can i get this in audio instead? 

Oh hell yes i can, HERE COMES THE TRAIN!

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10  Edited By CyleMoore

Can't wait for the music!

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ViciousReiven

No points? So if no points I'm also assuming no prepaid-cards, which in turn means I'm not a customer.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kollay

"Pro-Putt Domo" 

Son of a bitch, Domo is back! 

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NeoAthanasius

All aboard! Ready to download some old Nintendo tapes to my 3DS! Aww yeah!

TheMartino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMartino

Does anyone else feel that $5.99 for a revamped 3D NES port is WAY TOO MUCH?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew

I suspect the DSi browser won't ever be transferable.

hiimmikecruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hiimmikecruz

I'm glad My Diary will transfer over. I hope the data will transfer too. 

AsherV20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AsherV20

There any chance the DSiWare store stuff is going to be available in the 3DS marketplace? I'd doubt it since one uses points and the other uses people money. There were a couple pieces of DSiware I'd have liked to check out even though I never hopped on the DSi train. Ah well.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai

Sweet, might use my 3DS.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordAndrew
    @AsherV20: DSiWare will allegedly be available, but Nintendo is currently only talking about the new 3DS stuff. I don't know if they'll discuss DSiWare on the eShop at any point. We'll probably only know once it's available.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Milkman

Director of eShop operations just blew my goddamn mind. Also, 6 bucks for Excite Bike? Is that a joke?

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stalefishies

No Flipnote Studio? But that's the best one!

SolracFB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By SolracFB

Wait a second.. FLIPNOTE STUDIO IS NOT TRANSFERING????? How am I supposed to keep track of all the things I can't remember? I relied on that excellent piece of software to manage my life and now I can use it no more? Epic fail Nintendo, just don't wonder why your hardware sales will plummet after people read this.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @ViciousReiven said:

No points? So if no points I'm also assuming no prepaid-cards, which in turn means I'm not a customer.

I'm pretty positive that they will still have pre-paid cards. It'll just basically be a gift card in that sense. 

Besides I'm sure there is still a good market for retail pre-paid cards, so yeah don't worry about it going away this time around.

The no points thing just means that they are just going to PSN store route and listing real dollar amounts instead of something like Microsoft's space bucks.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By JJOR64

My Asphalt IV wont transfer at launch...   Bummer.   :(

Either way, I'm excited to see all the new 3DS Ware games.  Also looking forward to the good DSiWare games I missed.  Yes people, there are some good DSi Ware games on the service.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MideonNViscera

I want Alleyway!

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By LegalBagel

6 bucks for Excitebike, even if it's got 3D added in, is pretty ridiculous.  That game is 20 years old and will give you an hour of novelty and nostalgia at best.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By patrickklepek

Most of the content from the DSiWare store will be on the eShop day one.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordAndrew
    @patrickklepek said:

Most of the content from the DSiWare store will be on the eShop day one.

Who needs the DSi browser anyway?
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 1p

Son, those 3D Pokemon are off the chain.

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ChrisInCali

Over-priced content + HUGE lack of content, no thanks Nintendo.  250 reason that I am happy that I didn't get this clearly rushed system.

robotmand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By robotmand

"And, yes, we've heard the music. But that, dear reader, is for another day."

Might I request a review of the 3DS eShop music? Maybe as a Happy Hour segment?

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

Thank the maker, I can get myNotebook on my 3DS.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Klaimore

What?! No real soccer! I'm a sad penguin.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates

Well, that PokeDex 3D IS pretty amazing, but now I want to wait until they release a red 3DS so that it looks like an old-school Pokédex too. 

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By m0rdr3d

Six dollars for Excitebike?!
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    @ViciousReiven said:

I'm pretty positive that they will still have pre-paid cards. It'll just basically be a gift card in that sense.   Besides I'm sure there is still a good market for retail pre-paid cards, so yeah don't worry about it going away this time around.  The no points thing just means that they are just going to PSN store route and listing real dollar amounts instead of something like Microsoft's space bucks.
    Hope so! Hell I'd get more Pc games if Steam had pre-paid cards, it kinda sucks to only have cash nowadays...
    FacestabMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FacestabMan

Damn, where be the demos?

Thank god they're at least confirmed. But someone here wants to try more, and spend less!

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dan_CiTi

NO OREGON TRAIL?!

ShadyMarino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By ShadyMarino

You mean I can't play my DOMO games on the 3DS?!?!?!

*throws 3DS away*
    DOMO DOMO DOMO DOMO DOMO

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

What are dollars and cents.  Things a bought with points.  My paycheck is in points.  I know points.  I don't know what dollars and cents are.

At least my copy of date of ditch will transfer over.

Googly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Googly

DOWNLOADS ARE COMING.  GET HYYYYPE

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LordAndrew
    @m0rdr3d said:
    Or you could pay $250 right now and get Excitebike for FREE!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox
    @LordAndrew said:
    @m0rdr3d said:
    ... for 30 days only. Which seems kinda dumb to me.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LordAndrew
    @MrKlorox said:
    @LordAndrew said:
    @m0rdr3d said:
    ... for 30 days only. Which seems kinda dumb to me.
    It's apparently to encourage people to actually download the firmware update. But the only reason I can see that people wouldn't update is because it might break their unauthorized shit. But since 3DS hackers haven't accomplished anything yet, there's no benefit in them sticking with the older firmware anyway.

It does indeed seem pointless.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Fortenium said:
    This is pretty much Nintendo's last chance aside from E3 to get me to play my Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo had better be thankful Level-5 is making games for them, because so far, the reason I have a Nintendo 3DS is for two Professor Layton games.
    Then that's a pretty bad reason to have a 3DS. It looks likely that we'll be getting the next Professor Layton game this year... but it will be on the DS. The 3DS installments won't be seen for some time.
    m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By m0rdr3d
    @LordAndrew said:

@m0rdr3d said:

Thanks for the tip, fellow duder.  I want you to know that with the $6 you just saved me, 5 will be spent on a Little Caesars pizza, and the extra dollar will be used to buy a Children's Miracle Network balloon in your honor.  It will read, " to LordAndrew...a great man"
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By buft

looking forwardtothis launching,free shits always great. just need to find cards in the uk now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Pokedex sounds like a cool idea, but I'm still skeptical of the software lineup.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By WickedCestus

"Walked through us"? You mean "walked us through"?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.