Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 64

Platform »

The successor to the SNES was Nintendo's entry in the fifth home console generation, as well as the company's first system designed specifically to handle polygonal 3D graphics.

64 Bit Salute!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro
    No Caption Provided

The Nintendo 64 released across North America on September 30th 1996.

What are your memories of this awesome console, and what software helped you warm to it?. I loved all the Rare ones, the games we now consider classics, I think they played a huge role in defining the console, but for me it was the first Zelda and Mario games that had the biggest impact, those two games surely took things to the next level in 3D gaming.

I remember playing my N64 obsessively with my siblings, mainly bouts of Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing, the latter which I personally consider the superior game in almost every aspect. I probably would have played mine a whole lot more if Nintendo had released Animal Crossing on the machine.

I still have an unused boxed one, I'm saving it for a more momentous anniversary :). Do you still have yours and what games do you have in your collections currently?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I sill got mine and a lot of games for it.
    I have fond memories of games like Body Harvest and Diddy Kong Racing, but I played every big title (and most others too) on the console.

I need to get a new controller so I can finish DK64.
    Fucking Mario Party.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Afroman269

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Fucking Mario Party.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iDarktread

@Contro: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was and still is the single most memorable video game that I ever completed. Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64 were lovely too. I also played a good amount of Super Smash Bros., Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, and some Pokemon Snap. Sadly, I never could figure out how The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask worked, but I re-bought it on the Virtual Console and plan to play through it on a day when I'm in a particularly good mood.

I actually purchased Blast Corps today, Body Harvest earlier this week, and both Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie a little over a week ago. My Nintendo 64 collection is still missing quite a few good titles, though fortunately, the most expensive of cartridges run between twenty and thirty USD, and cheaper ones, like the ones I listed, go for $2.50-$5 easily. I'm picking out titles I missed somewhat strategically, and want to find time to play through all of them at some point.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Contro

@iDarktread said:

@Contro: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was and still is the single most memorable video game that I ever completed. Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64 were lovely too. I also played a good amount of Super Smash Bros., Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, and some Pokemon Snap. Sadly, I never could figure out how The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask worked, but I re-bought it on the Virtual Console and plan to play through it on a day when I'm in a particularly good mood.

I actually purchased Blast Corps today, Body Harvest earlier this week, and both Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie a little over a week ago. My Nintendo 64 collection is still missing quite a few good titles, though fortunately, the most expensive of cartridges run between twenty and thirty USD, and cheaper ones, like the ones I listed, go for $2.50-$5 easily. I'm picking out titles I missed somewhat strategically, and want to find time to play through all of them at some point.

Yea, it's the same in Europe, the best titles go for around £30+ when in good boxed condition. I also have a few titles I need to acquire for my collection, but nothing that demands I pay well over what I should, especially now.

My most recent purchase was back in January when I bought Mystical Ninja 2. It ain't great, it's nowhere near as cool and wacky as the first N64 game, which you should definitely hunt down if you don't have it already. I highly recommend it, depending on the price you have to pay.

I've been trying to get all the games in the Geoman Warrior series (Mystical Ninja in the West), but the second and third Super Famicom games cost too much when they're good condition and have to be imported. Although I did recently buy the Japanese GBA collection (1 & 2 - Super Nintendo games).

It's pretty sweet when played on a GB Micro :) edit: fixed typo in the OP

No Caption Provided

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iDarktread

@Contro: I bought a Game Boy Micro just over a month ago, and love the thing! I like that double pack quite a lot actually -- I don't own it, yet, but I've been tracking down some "Double Pack" or compilation cartridges myself and they do work oh so well on the Micro.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for a Mystical Ninja cartridge. Thanks for the recommendation. Conker's Bad Fur Day and Space Station: Silicon Valley are two more I'd like to purchase and somehow missed out on, and both fall in the $20+ USD category as well.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Harvest Moon wrecked me.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By DeF

I think it's time for some Wave Racing later today :)

Like most of you guys, I'm still missing some gems from my N64 collection, as well! (Mischief Makers, SS:Silicon Valley, Rocket: Robot On Wheels and maybe a few others that don't come to mind right now).

Despite the PSX killing it sales and popularity wise, that little black thing was home to many awesome titles!

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SuperWristBands

I remember it for Banjo and Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. Also, Mario Party.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark. Those were the best console multiplayer shooters at the time in my opinion.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jack268

I didn't have one, but my cousin had one with Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Smash Bros. Lots of good times were had even if we were only 2 people instead of 4. Played through OOT for the first time this year on the 3DS, and it's a bloody master piece as well.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By TehFlan

I played some original Mario Party on N64 with a friend over the summer. Good times. Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Pokemon Stadium, and Super Mario 64 are the games that made that system for me, and made my childhood.

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LetsRockBaby

It's my first and favorite console. I've spent shit-tons of time playing Starfox 64 on that thing. Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ocarina of Time, the Banjo games, and Donkey Kong 64 are also favorites of mine. There's still a handful of games on the console I've yet to play but I want badly, namely Harvest Moon 64 and Paper Mario.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

My childhood is 15 years old. That's more than a little disturbing. In any case, I still have fond memories of Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and pretty much everything that Rare made for the console. Of course, those fond memories don't come without unfortunate caveats, like how Mario Kart 64 is not the best Mario Kart game or how now in retrospect it's incredibly easy to see Super Smash Bros as the low budget party game it was. Oh and Goldeneye. Oh yes. Goldeneye. You know, that game doesn't hold up so great. Sorry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.