Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Amateur Nintendo DS Games

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo has for a while now been actively encouraging amature game development on the Nintendo DS in Japan. Last year on Wii.com, Satoru Iwata mentioned some software creations that a small number of students had been working on within Nintendo HQ, and also how impressed he was by what the students had devised. Well, those software projects are now complete, and have been available for download via the national DS Download Stations since 12th March. They will continue to do so until early May. 

Images of all four games can be seen here, some look pretty neat:

The four projects from students that attended the Nintendo Game Seminar 2008 game development course:

A Team: Fufu Kirarin 

Use the DS microphone to blow a stars that have fallen to the ground back into the sky. Available from 12th-25th March. 

B Team: Re: Koetist 

The name combines "Koe" (Japanese for "voice") and "Artist." Playing as a voice artist, you recite dialogue lines, which are then modified and played back with unexpected videos. Available from 26th March 26 to 8th April. 

C Team: Ugo Ugo Trinity 

A new type of action game where you control things by moving your body around. Available from 9th-22nd April. 

D Team: Kaosapiens 

This name appears to be a combination of "Kao" (Japanese for face) and Homosapien. You play around with a creature that has no body. Available from 23rd April to 6th May.

No news on whether they will be made available here in the west, either on the Nintendo Channel or a DS Download Stations.

On another note, It's a shame Nintendo's HQ in Redmond does not have such a course also. They may not develop games there, but some minor work is done and they do have the facilitties.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThomasP

I checked out the screens. The art directions they took looks really nice, except for the last group of screens.

I'd be surprised if they were released in the west.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Coltonio7

Bob should move to Japan.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Axersia

Here's hoping Half-Elf Tentacle Assault gets a licensed release.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Axersia said:
    "Here's hoping Half-Elf Tentacle Assault gets a licensed release."

I forgot all about that game, I must get a copy of that, I'm curious :). I already have Doki Doki Majou Shinpan, occasionally known to people who can't be bothered to read Japanese as "that witch-poking game"

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Endogene
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Axersia said:
    "Here's hoping Half-Elf Tentacle Assault gets a licensed release."
      I forgot all about that game, I must get a copy of that, I'm curious :). I already have Doki Doki Majou Shinpan, occasionally known to people who can't be bothered to read Japanese as "that witch-poking game""
    Witch poking game a real letdown by the way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.