Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Are graphics important on handhelds?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

The DS has one of the most diverse lineups since the Playstation 2, but not all of the games for the platform push the limits of what the Dual Screened machine can do. for every Final Fantasy 4 and TWEWY, we are also given games like N+, Exit, and the Pokemon games. We all know that good graphics dont make a good game, but is there any room on the DS for games that dont push the hardware?

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By PowerSerj

Absolutely. That's probably one of the main design principles behind many DS games, succesful or not. Gameplay trumps graphics 99% of the time; artstyle trumps graphics more often than many would like.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

For me, it isn't the graphics that tops my list, it is the art style.  I want the power to be used to make the game as big and full as possible, not just be the 'best' 3D graphics available.  I don't get bothered that much by story as they are nearly always superflorous anyway.  That is why I like the DS so much.  Being underpowered (relatively speaking), developers have to use their imagination to create a really good game (like Rockstar have done on GTA).  Of course, not everyone does, and just put out crap to a target market - that is fine for them to not push the hardware.  For the big developers and the big games, yes, they should push the hardware, in the best interest of the game and gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They need to be sprite-based or cel-shaded. Every game. It's hard to make sprites or cel-shaded graphics look bad. Otherwise you get... the FF remakes with all their polygony. And those look fucking awful.

Technically impressive on a DS, sure, but hideous.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By REDRUN

Gameplay over graphics anyday, but this is not always true. To exceed the limit of the handheld's graphic capabilities is to take the art design approach. The art design should never hinder the core gameplay at all. Gameplay should always be fun to play or give that gamer an experience they would enjoy. You can have the most beautiful game in the world and still have terrible gameplay that would disingauge the gamer. Creating something spectacular with a limited resource is an art-form through its own. There are games that uses less with in return gives more in appeal and memorable, possibly personal, experiences.

Dr_Euro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dr_Euro

The Nintendo DS has graphics that appeal to babies. PSP will continue to blow your mind. PSP 2 will be a mini PS3, can't wait!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr_Euro said:
    "The Nintendo DS has graphics that appeal to babies. PSP will continue to blow your mind. PSP 2 will be a mini PS3, can't wait!"
    Man. You seem awfully familiar. And I can't tell if you're sarcastic or stupid.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    We all know that good graphics dont make a good game, but is there any room on the DS for games that dont push the hardware?

Of course there is on Nintendo DS, there will always ample room for quality games which have little reliance on what many would consider great graphics. In fact, many of the great games already on the handheld display little attention on visual appeal, but instead focus on enjoyable control and gameplay above all else.

Are graphics important in handhelds?

Yes, good graphics are important everywhere, you cannot dismiss their importance as a building block to creating a great game. If you actually meant raw power though, I would say no, because that's not conducive to great handheld games in this current market right now. As the PSP shows with it's library of games. What's far more important is creating engaging experiences that are fun for players while on the move. Any good developer knows you do not need a game with great graphics to do so, certainly not today with Nintendo's influence in the market.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By strangeling

I'm a little confused by this question.  It almost sounds like you're saying "good graphics" cannot include 2D art.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    Dr_Euro said:
    "The Nintendo DS has graphics that appeal to babies. PSP will continue to blow your mind. PSP 2 will be a mini PS3, can't wait!"
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    Dr_Euro said:
    I'm with you man, Sony will blow your mind.  PSP2 will have an HDMI port, support full1080, and support the new UMD Blu Ray.  Plus, it will be future-proof and last at least 10 years.  Man, I can't wait.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    oldschool said:
    "Dr_Euro said:
    I'm with you man, Sony will blow your mind.  PSP2 will have an HDMI port, support full1080, and support the new UMD Blu Ray.  Plus, it will be future-proof and last at least 10 years.  Man, I can't wait.
    "
    That post is kind of funny coming from a guy named oldschool.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    Kou_Leifoh said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Dr_Euro said:
    "
    That post is kind of funny coming from a guy named oldschool."
    You know I was being sarcastic right?  Ahh, the written word - I'm not exactly sure whether you are being funny or not.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Alexander

The problem with the PSP is that a lot of the games are shoehorned console titles where the control method never allows for more than something watered down. You look at GTA on the PSP and it's an inferior game in just about every aspect. I started playing Liberty City Stories but ended up not finishing and replaying GTA III. Chinatown Wars is a great example that could only work on the DS - I mean I haven't played it but I could see issues trying to make an XBLA port. That's not to say graphics aren't important, they sure are, but making a game that plays to the consoles strengths should be priority. (e.g. Locco Rocco, Exit, Lumines)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
    strangeling said:
    "I'm a little confused by this question.  It almost sounds like you're saying "good graphics" cannot include 2D art."
    Not at all. Even 2D games can push the boundaries of what the hardware can do. Look at what Castlevania OOE did. Some of the effects are stunning. Same with TWEWY, Sonic Rush. and on another console, Muramasa. Take a look at that game in motion sometime and you'll see that even 2D games can break hardware.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

On handhelds, I would rather have an awesome looking 2D game, than a shitty looking 3D game. For example, I liked the GBA version of Final Fantasy IV better than the DS version.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They are important, but the problem is, as soon as a handhelds power reaches a certain point, developers start to develop home console style games for them, which doesn't work. So while greater hardware power could increase the graphics of handheld style games, the trade off is that some developers will start developing home console style games too, which don't work well on handheld consoles. It's a tricky situation.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godwind

Nope.  Better graphics should be intended to bring out new boundaries of gameplay.  As for being important to Handhelds, I disagree.

Battery Life- How the Original Gameboy beat all the competitors and so people don't have to worry about their games shutting down on them while playing.
    Portability- Why the Virtual Boy failed.  People want to play games on the go.  Also, Nintendo focuses on making their portables smaller because it is easily more portable.
    Durability- So people don't have to worry about it breaking while traveling or dropping, which is expected to happen whether in your bookbag or in murse(man purse).
    Quickness- People should be able to play their games in a short period of time.  Which is why the DS's sleep mode is pretty good add on feature.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead

The thing I like about the DS is that with its screen being so small in relation to a TV, developers seem to put more effort into art style rather than graphics and so a lot of DS games look really nice. Unlike the PSP which is just looks like it plays lame PS2 games a lot of times.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By raven_squad

In enjoy the more richly styled 2d graphics on the DS. The 3d games generally turn out pretty shitty looking, and often would have been better had they just stuck to 2D. Specifically Metroid Prime Hunters... 

On PSP however, since 2D games are not one of its focuses, yes. The graphics are important. If a PSP game doesn't have good graphics, its pretty much got nothing. 
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#21  Edited By strangeling
    AgentJ said:
    "strangeling said:
    "I'm a little confused by this question.  It almost sounds like you're saying "good graphics" cannot include 2D art."
    Not at all. Even 2D games can push the boundaries of what the hardware can do. Look at what Castlevania OOE did. Some of the effects are stunning. Same with TWEWY, Sonic Rush. and on another console, Muramasa. Take a look at that game in motion sometime and you'll see that even 2D games can break hardware.
    "
    So this thread isn't really about graphics, it's about games pushing the DS to its limits?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AgentJ
    strangeling said:
    "AgentJ said:
    "strangeling said:
    "
    So this thread isn't really about graphics, it's about games pushing the DS to its limits?
    "
    Its both. When a game has really great graphics it tends to push the hardware its using. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond

I'd say graphics are significantly less important on handhelds than elsewhere.  I still marvel at the small technical achievements on DS and PSP, and I appreciate a game that looks good.  Most of the time I could be playing a better looking game elsewhere, if I'm out and about playing a handheld graphics will be the last thing on my mind.

I can't imagine handhelds ever doing 1080p either, because who is ever going to be able to make out details that small on a tiny screen?  If the world isn't destroyed, decades from now they'll do higher resolutions on handhelds if they still use traditional screens, but only because they have power to spare.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By coughlanio

For obvious reasons I'm more impressed with good graphics on DS than I am with PS3 or 360, because I find it amazing what they can do with such weak hardware. I'm playing GTA: Chinatown Wars at the moment, and the graphics are amazing. just the sheer scale of the city is unreal.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
    TotallyEpic said:
    "For obvious reasons I'm more impressed with good graphics on DS than I am with PS3 or 360, because I find it amazing what they can do with such weak hardware. I'm playing GTA: Chinatown Wars at the moment, and the graphics are amazing. just the sheer scale of the city is unreal."
    I feel the same way while I am playing Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.  It is so pretty to look at and a significant improvement on say, a PS1 game.  Sure, it is pixelly on the characters, but they are still so nice to look at and that adds to the enjoyment of a good game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.