Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Best of E3 for DS (IGN): Pt 3 - racing & sports.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

This is a 5 part series I have extracted from IGN and their take on the DS at E3.  I have broken it into 5 parts for ease of reading and conversation.  Please read and we can see how our own thoughts match up with theirs.

NINTENDO DS: BEST OF E3

Part 3: RACING & SPORTS

Best Racing Game
    Need for Speed: Nitro
    Release date: Fall 2009

The Need for Speed franchise continues to blaze its trail across all platforms courtesy of EA, and its next trip to Nintendo's DS impressed at E3. Nitro is bringing a unique balance of realism and arcade action to the two-screen system this September -- it features a selection of real-world, licensed cars, but it also has a unique new visual style and gameplay feel that ensures things don't get too by-the-numbers realistic. Its showing last week has put it on our radar as, potentially, the best racer of the upcoming holiday season for DS owners.

Runners-Up

Best Sports Game
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Release date: Winter 2009

The rivalry continues this winter, but we have to think that Mario's got the advantage this time around -- they're competing out in the cold, and Sonic's not wearing any pants. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the natural follow-up to the sports compilation package that saw the longtime rivals go head-to-head in Summer events last year. Keep an eye on this one through the summer and fall, because when the weather turns cold again it'll be time for some Winter Games.

Not the DS strong point.  Mario & Sonic win by default and I haven't got a car racing game in my collection, unless you include Mario Kart.

What are your thoughts?
    RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By RedSox8933

Both very weak genres for the DS, I don't think that I have ever bought a racing or sports game for my DS.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @RedSox8933 said:
    " Both very weak genres for the DS, I don't think that I have ever bought a racing or sports game for my DS. "
    I don't think you are going to get much argument form anyone on that.  There is no great reason why there can't be good stuff, but no-one has made anything great.  Some are good though.  I was surprised by how Tiger Woods 2008 PGA Tour played.  It was cheap and that being the only reason I gave it a go, but seriously, it was very good.  But apart from a Tony Hawk game, no, I have nothing more.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Yeah, these are probably the two weakest genres on the console, though there are still gems to be found in the backlog. Trackmaster?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool

I still want to get a car game that did review well though - in Australia it is called V8 Supercar, but I think it is called Race Driver: Create & Race.  Apparently the track creation side was pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.