Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Bring the DS forums up to the level of Hamburger

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

It drives me nuts that the DS forums are ranked so low on the list of boards, and i think this needs to change. We need to give this board extra attention in order to bring more people to it. So lets create more topics and reply to more threads, in order to make the DS forums a viable conversation area. PORTABLE PRIDE!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

Doubt that it will happen, most people make thread about DS game in the specific game forums.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Not many people post about the DS games... =/ I <3 them though.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deathfury

Well maybe if Nintendo made a hamburger combined with a DS, the DS forum would be higher up...

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Mushir

I don't own a DS so I couldn't help that much. But Id like to see both the DS and PSP up there on the Popular Boards section. They deserve it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

First order of business: bring the DS board above Grand Theft Auto IV. Sound like a difficult task? It is.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Let's not. Let's keep the forums that people use high up on the popular boards list, and the ones that people don't use off the list. That makes sense, since that's the whole point of the popular boards list. Spamming topics to get a board higher up is both pointless and disruptive.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool

I agree that most of the topics related to the DS are mainnly game specific.  That makes it appear that the DS isn't popular, which of course, we know it is.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    MattyFTM said:
    "Let's not. Let's keep the forums that people use high up on the popular boards list, and the ones that people don't use off the list. That makes sense, since that's the whole point of the popular boards list. Spamming topics to get a board higher up is both pointless and disruptive."
    My point is that more people would use it if it were on the popular boards list. Go ahead and try searching for the DS on the Search bar. you won't find it. I'm aware that you can go to the browse button and find it, but i'd wager that a lot of people don't know about that. Really now, Does GTA IV need to be on the popular boards still? Its been out for over a year.The only reason its still there is because its on the popular boards list. More people would use the DS boards if it was available as part of the Popular Boards menu, which would mean more topics, more posts, and a higher spot on the menu. Each of the consoles should have an easy link.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24

No, the Hamburger forum still reigns supreme. It is one of the greatest boards in the history of mankind.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

That's more of a site issue that maybe you should try to bring to the attention of the staff.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    AgentJ said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "Let's not. Let's keep the forums that people use high up on the popular boards list, and the ones that people don't use off the list. That makes sense, since that's the whole point of the popular boards list. Spamming topics to get a board higher up is both pointless and disruptive."
    My point is that more people would use it if it were on the popular boards list. Go ahead and try searching for the DS on the Search bar. you won't find it. I'm aware that you can go to the browse button and find it, but i'd wager that a lot of people don't know about that. Really now, Does GTA IV need to be on the popular boards still? Its been out for over a year.The only reason its still there is because its on the popular boards list. More people would use the DS boards if it was available as part of the Popular Boards menu, which would mean more topics, more posts, and a higher spot on the menu. Each of the consoles should have an easy link.
    "
    But it doesn't need more topics. People are putting the topics in more relevant places (usually the individual game pages). Really all that should be on the platform boards are posts about the hardware, or multiple games that are unrelated, apart from by platform.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    LordAndrew said:
    "That's more of a site issue that maybe you should try to bring to the attention of the staff."
    It is true though - but it is also true of everything.

I agree in that there probably should a console board as well as the popular board.  It would make navigation easier, but as you say, that is a site issue.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    oldschool said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "That's more of a site issue that maybe you should try to bring to the attention of the staff."

I agree in that there probably should a console board as well as the popular board.  It would make navigation easier, but as you say, that is a site issue.
    "
    Perhaps this is a better idea. 
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    AgentJ said:
    "oldschool said:
    "LordAndrew said:

"
    Perhaps this is a better idea. 
    "
    But when you start separating out the popular boards navigation, why not have a popular concepts boards section, and a popular items boards, and locations, people, characters, franchises etc. Then you end up having a super cluttered navigation like Gamespot or IGN, which I don't think any of us want. Keeping a nice and simple popular boards list is probably best.

Perhaps it could link to a whole separate popular boards page, where you can see a much longer list of popular boards, and filter it by all the different page types. That's something that sounds good.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ

I think that you are taking the idea to an illogical extreme. The consoles are probably the most important boards on any gaming website, as evidenced by the 360,PS3, Wii, and PC being at the top here. Console forum links should be a high priority, perhaps followed by any popular games. 

Your second idea is a good one though. There should be an extended popular boards list.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By iamjohn

Fuck that.  Hamburger is the best Giant Bomb forum. >:(

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    AgentJ said:
    "I think that you are taking the idea to an illogical extreme. The consoles are probably the most important boards on any gaming website, as evidenced by the 360,PS3, Wii, and PC being at the top here. Console forum links should be a high priority, perhaps followed by any popular games. 

Your second idea is a good one though. There should be an extended popular boards list.
    "
    But the giant bomb forums are different to most other sites. The whole point is posting it on the most relevant board. If people were to use the forums properly the platform boards would be largely obsolete, only having a few threads on the hardware, and a few "which game should I get" threads, because pretty much every other topic can be in a more relevant place, usually a specific game page, but it could be a concept, character, or any page. Really, the platform forums are some of the least important forums on the site.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ

I think you'd be suprised at how many different things would be on console forums. For example, I would have put my top 20 Gamecube list on the Gamecube forums if it still had visitors. Any time people are comparing two games, they wouldn't want to put it on a single forum because it'd be heavily biased (however, if you could put a single topic on two threads and had them share replies, that would be awesome and functional). It's also a great place to discuss rumors and games that don't exist yet but should.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Hamburgers > DS

You can't change that.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, they still have their place, and maybe I'm underestimating their usage a bit, but I still don't think there is any need for them to be featured as prominently as they are on most websites.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's also not intuitive to have to find the particular board, so I can't say that idea for the "different" forums was great. Especially when you want to discuss something that's not so insanely popular that it doesn't appear in the popular boards list. A popular boards list should help you navigate, not make it tougher by being the only prominent option. For example, you'd have the platform boards, and then after clicking to go inside them, you'd be presented with a list of the top sub-boards, ie the platform's games, if you wanted to discuss something more particular.

Maybe it's good on paper, but people clearly use the forums in conventional ways, despite the fact they have an unconvetional setup, which is why nobody really posts in those places even though platforms like the DS are insanely popular, more than any single game on any one platform.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool

Do you think the staff are reading this?

Change isn't always bad and I am sure that they could get dome good ideas out of this discussion.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Red

Not even the DSi can bring the DS beyond hamburger; it's best to stop trying.

What's the real point anyways?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ

To make navigation to what should be one of the most used forum pages 10 times easier?

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I got bored of my DS like i got bored of my PSP

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgentJ

Good for you. Some people prefer Handhelds over consoles. I would fall in that category.(Maybe its because there arent so many first person perspective games on portables.)

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Axersia

360 forum: 912 topics
    Hamburger forum: 419 topics
    GTA4 forum: 184 topics
    DS forum: 67 topics

So as you can see, the DS isn't gonna reach the top 11 any time soon, let alone overtake the Hamburger. I personally would've preferred a more dynamic algorithm instead of just going by the amount of topics posted -- it prevents old jokes like the Hamburger from staying up there for months (if not years) while having little activity and leaving new users scratching their heads. The same goes for games, of course. A certain game may have been very popular at some point, but that popularity is gonna die down eventually and new games that never reach the same level of popularity but still have merit to be in the top 11 may never reach it. However, for games there is always the "Popular games' forums" drop down box which works on page views instead, so I guess that isn't much of a problem.

If you really wanna see the DS forum up there, I guess you could bring it up to one of the devs since it's very easy to do; however, it's been 8 months since site launch and the forum still has less than 70 topics, so is there really any reason for it to be up there? I don't think it'll increase activity by much. The Wii managed to overtake the Hamburger eventually, and I'd personally argue that the DS is much more of a gamers' system than the Wii, so maybe that just tells us the GB userbase isn't much into portable gaming (I mean, the PSP has even less topics than the DS).

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgentJ

Im sure you already realize this, but the reasons that the DS isnt on the popular forums are because its hard to find the DS by using the search bar, which is what most people use when looking things up, and because it isn't already on the popular boards list, which are essentially the only ones that get any real attention. I am convinced that if the DS forum was placed on the bottom of the popular forums list, it would be rubbing shoulders with the wii within a month. You are absolutely right when you say the algorithm is off, because really, GTA is long gone, and the only reason anyone still posts things on it is because it is on the Popular forums list.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LordAndrew

If you want to post on the DS board and make it a bit more active, go ahead. Just don't expect it to ever get on the popular boards list unless they change the way the list is generated.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oldschool
    LordAndrew said:
    "If you want to post on the DS board and make it a bit more active, go ahead. Just don't expect it to ever get on the popular boards list unless they change the way the list is generated."
    Which is why a "System/Platform" list (Wii-360-PS3-PS2-DS-PSP-PC - current  systems) could warrant a seperate list as has been discussesd.  It would barely take up any room if added to the main page, above or below the popular list.  It isn't going to add any clutter is it?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LordAndrew

I wouldn't have a problem with something like that.

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By vaultboy

Yeah, they need to do something. Finding this forum is a pain in the ass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.