Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi or DS Lite

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By gearhead

So I have been contemplating get a new DS for years now, as I still use the old tank DS. Now which DS should I buy. The DSi is fifty dollars more exp--ensive and the camera functionality seems to have not been used so far by developers. The DS Lite is again fifty dollars cheaper, but I feel I would be behind the curve if I just buy this. Suggestions, as I can no longer stand the graphics on the first generation DS.

MikPick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MikPick

Aren't the graphics for all DS models the same?

Anyways, I'd reccomend the DS Lite, for the much longer battery life, and the GBA slot. Plus saving $50 is always good.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lemon360

The camera is stupid. If you like a slightly bigger screen go for it, if not buy a game with the money you save.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Get a DS Lite. The camera is dumb, the screen is only very slightly larger and the DSi has no GBA slot. And the graphics are the same on all DS models :/ They just made the screen brighter from the original DS.

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By InFamous91

lol i still have the big old rusty DS too. You should buy the DS lite, you'll save 50 bucks. With that 50 bucks, you can buy a new  DS game.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JamesF

I'd get the Lite and get an extra game.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Get the DSi, DSiWare it's already offering some very cool exclusive software, Flipnote Studio is awesome and free to download now in all regions.  I expect the DSi to make use of the increased specs sometime down the line with exclusive games, because developers won't be happy about not being able to use that extra power. Until then, you can enjoy playing DS games with features exclusive to the DSi - "DSi Enhanced Games".  Kingdom Hearts DS 358/2 Days is just one example of such a game, but there are already a few now in Japan.  

You can upload animations you create direct from your DS to this Nintendo affiliated blog site:

http://flipnote.hatena.com/

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

50 extra for the DSi sounds good to me, it does come with extra free stuff after all. You get the browser that DS owners had to purchase, and various free applications. Sure, it aint a PC replacement but it's something. Why not be a little more future proof? DSi enhanced and potentially DSi Exclusive titles are on the way, while as Linky says DSiWare is only available for that, and already offers some good software, with plenty more on the way. It's a no brainer really, I'd totally go for it if I had time and money for yet another system. Do you still get 1000 free points with it?

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By damnboyadvance

I've still got the old DS too. If you've got the money, you should probably spend the extra 50 bucks on a DSi. It might take some time, but soon it might replace the DS Lite. Plus it's got extra stuff, and will probably have exclusive games on it too, so why not?

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Jensonb

Get the DSi. I upgraded my Phat to a DSi. It's an awesome piece of hardware.

The Lite is too similar to the original DS, it never tempted me as an upgrade.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

i would say get the DSI. i think it would be better. u get some things that the DS lite doesn't have. i don't have a DS anymore so i don't like handheld gaming anymore.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yeah I think the GBA slot is really nice even though the cartridges stick out a little. Plus the $50 cheaper thing would make me vote for the DS Lite.

Avatar image for xcompanionxcubex
    xCompanionxCubex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xCompanionxCubex

I have the original chunky brick DS and it does it for me but i'd say the lite out of those 2, i don't think the DSi is worth forking out all the extra money for another camera you're hardly gonna use

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By irishjohn

I don't really think the DSi is worth an extra fifty bucks, but what the hell?  You're upgrading from pretty far down.  It's the best DS out there.  Either way, you're going to be very, very happy with your upgraded DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.