Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSiXL shows just how worthless the PSPGo has become.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

This is the deal being offered by Game in Australia.

No Caption Provided
    I will give you the important dollar statistics to make my point.  The DSiXL is released at $300.   

A DSi costs $300.  So you give them a $300 machine and $100 and get back a $300 machine.  That is a $100 loss on your original purchase.

The PSPGo (notice they don't care about the PSP 3000) costs $450.  So you give them a $450 machine, plus $100 and get back a $300 machine.  That is a $250 loss on your original purchase.

Who the hell would make that PSPGo trade-in?  This shows how popular the DS has established itself over the PSP and exactly what retailers think of the Go.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " Thank you, Captain Obvious. "
    That's Captain Bleeding Obvious to you  :/ 

I was really struck at how badly the value of the product has become.  It is like driving a car out of the car yard and watching the depreciation trail behind you.  The level of hype and anticipation for the DSiXL has not been dented locally by news of the 3DS.  I think 95% of the market (note:  95% may be a random number I thought of) have no idea of an imminent 3DS.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Aus_azn

PSP is a worthless piece of junk. I bought the 3k as an iPod with an enormous screen. Then the go came out and compromised the only reason why I bought the dang thing. And I still have yet to own a game outside of Lumines 2. It does it's job as a video player brilliantly, but that's all it is: a video player.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Emilio

Nintendo is smart. See, now Nintendo only competes with itself. Its like an artificial hardware competition. The DS Lite is only competing with the DSi/XL, and soon with the 3DS. Meaning, that there is an artificial hardware competition between three Nintendo handhelds and two Sony handhelds, which soon enough will probably come to be only one Sony handheld. 

Also, food tastes good.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane

Yes, i saw that also, and it made no sense whatsoever to me. 

This is not helping my wanting to buy a XL... 
    Trying so hard to resist...
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Shirogane said:
    " Yes, i saw that also, and it made no sense whatsoever to me.  This is not helping my wanting to buy a XL... Trying so hard to resist... "
    Question, where do you do most of your gaming?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Aus_azn said:

PSP is a worthless piece of junk. I bought the 3k as an iPod with an enormous screen. Then the go came out and compromised the only reason why I bought the dang thing. And I still have yet to own a game outside of Lumines 2. It does it's job as a video player brilliantly, but that's all it is: a video player.

There are plenty good PSP games, if you don't buy any then it's your fault for buying a portable games system with no intention to buy games for it... It's also getting this year's GOTY [/hyperbole] in the form of this. Now, between my Wii and gaming PC and PSP I do give the last the least attention but hey, if days had 48 hours and money grew in trees I'd get more PSP games as well, otherwise there are more than I can ever play for the other two and since I don't game on the go much the PSP gets less. Then again Monster Hunter Freedom Unite alone has wasted countless of my hours so it certainly makes up for the downtime.

The Go is a different subject than the PSP, it's a failed SKU that offers no advantage over the previous models, costs more, and doesn't even play your existing UMD games. It's like the concept was devised during a stroke or something. Not of genious, just regular ol stroke. That doesn't mean the platform has no games. If it has no games for you, that's fine and all, but your tastes don't make it objectively "worthless" (not to mention that your tastes would have to be pretty damn restricted for the PSP to offer nothing close to them given its wildly diverse library). There were cheaper media players to get so, your fault really.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shirogane
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    " Yes, i saw that also, and it made no sense whatsoever to me.  This is not helping my wanting to buy a XL... Trying so hard to resist... "
    Question, where do you do most of your gaming? "

My gaming seems fairly evenly spread among the PC, 360 and PS3. My psp gets little use for gaming, mainly used as an mp3, but sometimes a nice game will come out and i'll spend some time with it. I had a DS up until about a year ago, so i've only really missed out on the latest DS games. The DS got quite a lot of use, except in the last 6 or so months that i had it. 
    TinaWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TinaWood

Wow, that is bad, and kinda funny too. I've got a DSi, because I've got sense :P  

We do have a PSP at home, but we barely use it. I am playing Jeanne now though.   

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emkeighcameron

The PSP Go is a wonderful example of self-cannibalization by a big company (Sony). I wonder if there's anything strategic about it (like they REALLY REALLY think the Go is the future of handhelds.....) or if this is just hyper-stupidity.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @TinaWood said:
    " Wow, that is bad, and kinda funny too. I've got a DSi, because I've got sense :P   We do have a PSP at home, but we barely use it. I am playing Jeanne now though.    "
    I picked up Jeanne D'Arc a couple of months back and haven't even put it in the PSP.  I just can't find any motivation to charge it up.  Between Dragon Quest V, Fire Emblem, Pokemon Platinum and both Advance Wars games, I can't down my DS.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Willy105

I remember when the PSP was supposed to be the next big thing and kick Nintendo out of handheld business just like how they did in the console business.

But then Nintendogs came out, and PSP never recovered. And of course, the Wii came out and kicked Sony's own console out of the top spot. Poor Sony.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

Haha, certainly damning stuff. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " I remember when the PSP was supposed to be the next big thing and kick Nintendo out of handheld business just like how they did in the console business.  But then Nintendogs came out, and PSP never recovered. And of course, the Wii came out and kicked Sony's own console out of the top spot. Poor Sony. "
    But they have Move  :/
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @oldschool said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " I remember when the PSP was supposed to be the next big thing and kick Nintendo out of handheld business just like how they did in the console business.  But then Nintendogs came out, and PSP never recovered. And of course, the Wii came out and kicked Sony's own console out of the top spot. Poor Sony. "
    But they have Move  :/ "
    Which is an add-on. They should have had Move be the PS4. It being an add-on shows they are not ready to commit to it.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @Meowayne said:
    Thank you citizen, I was just doing my job.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    Thank you citizen, I was just doing my job. "
    Oh wait.  He confused me with you.  Okay, now I am with it  :-)
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne

Pokémon is keeping me from finishing God Of War: CO and Crisis Core. It just goes to show how worthless a big screen and fancy graphics are in comparison to the DS's library, which features many more actual handheld games instead of home console games made for a portable system.

That said, I like the PSP,  and I love it for the fact that I can emulate the PSX with it.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @Aus_azn said:

There are plenty good PSP games, if you don't buy any then it's your fault for buying a portable games system with no intention to buy games for it... It's also getting this year's GOTY [/hyperbole] in the form of this. Now, between my Wii and gaming PC and PSP I do give the last the least attention but hey, if days had 48 hours and money grew in trees I'd get more PSP games as well, otherwise there are more than I can ever play for the other two and since I don't game on the go much the PSP gets less. Then again Monster Hunter Freedom Unite alone has wasted countless of my hours so it certainly makes up for the downtime.The Go is a different subject than the PSP, it's a failed SKU that offers no advantage over the previous models, costs more, and doesn't even play your existing UMD games. It's like the concept was devised during a stroke or something. Not of genious, just regular ol stroke. That doesn't mean the platform has no games. If it has no games for you, that's fine and all, but your tastes don't make it objectively "worthless" (not to mention that your tastes would have to be pretty damn restricted for the PSP to offer nothing close to them given its wildly diverse library). There were cheaper media players to get so, your fault really. "
    I actually have played most of these games since my friend keeps an active library and lets me borrow games. 

The only games I have liked are: 
    Lumines 2 (and 1) 
    Gran Turismo  
    Phantasy Star Portable
    Assassin's Creed Bloodlines 

And these even come at the expense of being watered down. I find DS to be a lot more accessible than PSP gamingwise, but the PSP is superior to the iPod (touch) as a media player. MHFU I just found to be a bit plain; didn't like it as much as Phantasy Star. Either way, your gaming profile appears to be the complete opposite of mine, especially because I despise my Wii.

And by the way, I have tried PW's demo already. I don't like it. For some reason, I just don't like Big Boss' character.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Snail

Actually I would do that if I really wanted the DSi XL, or if my DSi was scratched or something (which it actually is).

Instead of wasting an extra 300$ I would simply wait 100$, since I wouldn't play with my old DSi anyway. I would be giving away something I wouldn't use. What's wrong with that?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

Maybe you missed this part of my post, Aus:
    That doesn't mean the platform has no games. If it has no games for you, that's fine and all, but your tastes don't make it objectively "worthless" (not to mention that your tastes would have to be pretty damn restricted for the PSP to offer nothing close to them given its wildly diverse library). There were cheaper media players to get so, your fault really.

Vague "for some reason I didn't like it" stuff hardly make your assessment of the PSP's library worhtwhile. Unless of course you're telling us your friend who has all these games and lets you borrow them so you can judge the whole library without buying anything is apparently retarded and wastes money on shit. That, or maybe he simply has this thing called (different) taste, which the PSP at least somewhat caters to? Also, GT and ACB are rather lackluster but hey, if you liked them, cool I guess. Given the immense library of the PSP you must have pretty restricted tastes as I said before, if you only liked those few. Or maybe you're exagerating and your friend doesn't actually buy everything for you to try out, so that you tried a few games out of hundreds doesn't mean shit.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Geno

Wrong. The PSPGo was worthless upon release. 

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Bones8677

*reads over the post*

Okay, I'm waiting for the point Oldschool...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
    @Bones8677 said:
    " *reads over the post*  Okay, I'm waiting for the point Oldschool... "
    There really isn't one.  It is an observation on the trade in value of the PSPGo and how that relates to the trade in value of the DSi and how that shows market popularity versus store price (of new).
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@oldschool said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    But they have Move  :/ "
    Man, I remember how big the hype was too for the PSP. Kinda sad. I'd love to see someone rumble with Nintendo in the handheld market still though, so here's to PSP2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.