Good turn based or tactic RPGs?

#1 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -

I'm searching for something that gives you the control in the lower screen and the information in the upper screen, so far luminous arc and puzzle quest (which is an RPG, in some way) were good, but I wasn't able to find many games that would at least use the screens in a way I think is right. 

Maybe I'm too specific, but otherwise I think the DS is not for me, I don't feel like playing a real time game, for instance. 

Thank you.

#2 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Infinite Space

#3 Edited by Turambar (6893 posts) -
Super Robot Wars W, K, and L all seem to fit your bill.  Though I hope you either know Japanese or are willing to use online translation aids.  There's also Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.  The thing about turn-based tactics games though is that there really is no need for any touch control with the bottom screen at all, so I'm not sure what you're looking for when you say "uses the screens right". 
#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Devil Survivor and Strange Journey.

#5 Posted by Gilsham (293 posts) -
#6 Edited by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

The Fire Emblem games are as good as it comes for turned based ROGS, Check out Path of radiance and Radiant Dawn for the GC and Wii respectively.  

EDIT: Well, shit. I didn't see this was the DS forum. I suggest the Advance Wars games then. Days of ruin is one of the best DS games around. 

#7 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:
" The Fire Emblem games are as good as it comes for turned based ROGS, Check out Path of radiance and Radiant Dawn for the GC and Wii respectively.  

EDIT: Well, shit. I didn't see this was the DS forum. I suggest the Advance Wars games then. Days of ruin is one of the best DS games around.  "
There is also Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on the DS.  

Golden Sun Dark Dawn 
Infinite Space 
Suikoden Teirkreis is surprisingly fun 
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes is barely an RPG, but controls on the bottom screen and is so addicting 
Final Fantasy 3 and 4 
Knights in the Nightmare 
Sands of Destruction
#8 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Hey man. Advance Wars. Dragon Quest remakes. You're set for 3 months, ttyl

#9 Posted by MonetaryDread (2175 posts) -

Disgaea DS is a great title that is worth playing and uses the screens in the way you ask. There is no reason to use touch controls because the d-pad works better though. The top screen is used mainly for extra information, like a grid map for battlefield positioning, you could argue that makes this the best version of the game.

#10 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Fire emblem. Any of 'em. I highly recommend you start out with Path of Radiance, though. That one is probably the best FE and one of the most accessible ones for new players.

Shadow Dragon and Advance Wars:Days Of Ruin if you're only sticking to DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.