Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Help choosing DS games...

• 77 results
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

Here are some games I am thinking of getting when I get my DSi XL tell me what you think 

The World Ends with You 
     Pokemon Soulsilver 
    All the Pheonix Wright games. 

Of course there will be more I will get later on but those are some I am thinking about getting pretty soon, what do you think of them? 

Also I am not sure of - 

Rhythm Heaven 
    Kingdom Hearts     
    Hotel Dusk: Room 215 
    Infinite Space
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Also any other game suggestions?

Thanks.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust
    The World Ends with You this is a good one to get.  The combat system involves switching back and forth between the upper and lower screens, so that will probably be easier to handle on the XL's larger screens.   And, I always recommend either Dragon Quest IV or V.  I prefer V but both are above par in quality.  The really did a good job updating them for the DS, too.
    Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By weegieanawrench

Pokemon Soul Silver is a great choice. I got it for nostalgia's sake. But it is one the best entries into the franchise. I think anyway. As for Rhythm Heaven, it's quite fun, but if you have bad rhythm (like myself) then you might find this game frustrating. I certainly do. I can't say anything for the last three as I never played them, but there are many other DS games that kick ass. One I picked up recently is Dementium: The Ward. It's kinda like Silent Hill 2. Also it runs at 60 fps, which is insane for a DS game.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vamino

I found Hotel Dusk to be pretty dull. All personal preference, of course. Rhythm Heaven is good fun, I would recommend it. Can't speak for the other two you aren't sure of. All the one's you want to get are good choices though. Phoenix Wright games are good fun, TWEWY is.. frantic until you get used to it. And Pokemon is pokemon is pokemon, so you know exactly what you're getting into. 

Otherwise, I would recommend Chrono Trigger (if you haven't already played it... You're Australian, so I can basically guarantee you've not played a legit copy), the Castlevania DS games are good stuff too, if you at all like the Symphony of the Night styled games. Professor Layton is fun too. And I have a big place in my heart for the Trauma Center games (even though that can sometimes be ridiculously hard, especially the first). 

Edit: OH! And Elite Beat Agents/Osu! Tatake! Ouendan. The Japanese versions are completely playable, and perhaps more fun cause you can make up your own ridiculous story to go with the images.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By callumbay

The World Ends With You is really good :) And I'd recommend Chrono Trigger (if you haven't played it before), Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Dragon Quest IV & V, Final Fantasy III and IV, Professor Layton, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story... and Picross DS :D

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By raiz265

i didnt really like the world ends with you, imho the controls of it are just horrible, the gestures you had to use for the attacks never really worked for me... maybe i'm just too stupid, but i got utterly raped, even when only controlling one character... 

pokemon soulsilver is pretty nice, i picked it up randomly and played it for like 30hours in 3 days :D
    the last pokemon game i played was the silver edition when it was released back in 2001 or something  

kingdom hearts  is good, too. i really like how the leveling system works and all of the oldschool disney themes are cool...  
    i was pretty lost story-wise in the beginning because i only played the first kingdom hearts game on PS2 and never actually finished the story a 100% (i was very close to the end though) and i didn't understand anything of what was going on there... 

hotel dusk is very(!) good imho... it's less about the playing in that game, since the gameplay itself seemed to be rather simple to me. but the story really sucked me in and made me finish the game in 2 days

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob

Warioware Touch is fantastic. Of all the DS Castlevania games, I would suggest Portrait of Ruin the most strongly. Dawn just felt like a rehash of Aria and wasn't half as good. That still makes it a great game though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @Yukoei said:
    " Here are some games I am thinking of getting when I get my DSi XL tell me what you think  The World Ends with You  Pokemon Soulsilver  All the Pheonix Wright games.  Of course there will be more I will get later on but those are some I am thinking about getting pretty soon, what do you think of them?  Also I am not sure of -  Rhythm Heaven Kingdom Hearts     Hotel Dusk: Room 215 Infinite Space  Also any other game suggestions?  Thanks. "

The World Ends With You: is awesome and well worth the entry fee.  A thoroughly unique experience -  must have. 
    Pokemon SoulSilver: Just got both Gold and Silver today, but they are Easter presents for next week, but having played the originals and them being Pokemon, how the hell can you go wrong.  They are on promotion at KMart this week for $48, the cheapest you are likely to see it, so buy it now while you can.
    Phoenix Wright: I have the first 2 and my daughter assures me they are pretty damn good.  I have been distracted by other games. 
    Rhythm Heaven: Addictive and a whole lot of fun, yes, get it. 
    Kingdom Hearts: Haven't got it, but I certainly will.  If you like Kingdom Hearts, it is a low risk purchase. 
    Hotel Dusk Room 215:  I actually got the game cheap today and will be returning it next week - it is a fake and whilst it will play on my Lite, it will not play on my DSi - pity, but I don't want pirate games. 
    Infinite Space:  Looks awesome and is on my must buy list. 

As for other games I have personally enjoyed: 
    Advance Wars (both), Disgaea, Dragon Quest (IV & V), Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy (III & IV), Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Pokemon Platinum/Diamond/Pearl, Lunar Knights, Luminous Arc, Zelda (both), Chrono Trigger, Viva Pinata Elite Beat Agents & Professor Layton. 

Glad to see you are still up for the XL.  EB had a trade in with my DSi and $150 for the XL, but screw that, I am keeping my DSi and still getting an XL.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool: You live in Australia right? Were can I pick up The World Ends With You? No stores seem to have it.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yukoei
    @PenguinDust said:
    " The World Ends with You this is a good one to get.  The combat system involves switching back and forth between the upper and lower screens, so that will probably be easier to handle on the XL's larger screens.   And, I always recommend either Dragon Quest IV or V.  I prefer V but both are above par in quality.  The really did a good job updating them for the DS, too. "
    Ive never played any Dragon Quest games, are they all different stories a la Final Fantasy?
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By CaptainObvious

Final Fantasy IV and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust
    @Yukoei:   Yes, as far as I know, although they all have the feeling of coming from the same world even if that isn't true.  In other words, like SMT or certain elements of FF, there are things in DQ games that are in all of them.  Certain beasties like the slimes and similar costumes such as that of the clergy are in a majority of the games.  Also, I believe all have the art style of Akira Toriyama  (the Dragonball guy). 
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yukoei

Any DSiware recommendations will be fine also.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yukoei
    @F1 said:
    " @Yukoei:  If you like puzzle games, definitely check out the Professor Layton titles.  "
    Will do ^_^
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @Yukoei said:
    " Any DSiware recommendations will be fine also. "
    Dark Void Zero and the upcoming Shantae are given then.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yukoei
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    Dark Void Zero and the upcoming Shantae are given then. "
    How is WarioWare DIY, what is that all about?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Willy105
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    How is WarioWare DIY, what is that all about? "

I don't know much about it, but I heard IGN gave it a AAA score.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yukoei
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    How is WarioWare DIY, what is that all about? "
    I don't know much about it, but I heard IGN gave it a AAA score. "
    Interesting.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @Yukoei said:

" @oldschool: You live in Australia right? Were can I pick up The World Ends With You? No stores seem to have it. "

All the really good games are hard to find as they get lost with all the games that end in Z  :-( 

However, if you have a credit (debit) card, or your parent's will accommodate you, then try this: 
     The World Ends With You 
    It is playasia.com        the game is only $28 Australian roughly plus, pick the cheapest postage of under $4, meaning you would get it at your door in under 10 days (if in stock), via Australian Post for about $32 and it is seriously worth it.  I always use playasia (there are no fake games from here) and never once had a problem.  Many other newer good games generally run at about $42 posted ($35 + $3 US).

Other good games you could import at $32 are (and always check the discounted items, but make sure you order the US version): 
    Bleach: The Blade of Fate (actually about $20)  
     Elite Beat Agents  (actually about $22) 
     Children of Mana 
     Advance Wars: Days of Ruin 
     Age of Empires: Mythologies 
     Chrono Trigger DS  (you have to own this) 
    Final Fantasy III (you have to own this)  
     Final Fantasy IV ( you have to own this) 
     Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (a personal favourite) 
     Hotel Dusk: Room 215 
     Magical Starsign (a neat little RPG) 
     Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (another neat little RPG) 
     Rondo of Swords (a rather unique RPG) 

Always check to see if it is available locally cheaper, but generally many of the better games are cheaper imported.  
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool: Awesome, but you know the Phoenix Wright games I cant find the first 3 locally and not on Play Asia the only place I can find them is Amazon but they are $80, is it worth it?
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Yukoei said:
    " @oldschool: Awesome, but you know the Phoenix Wright games I cant find the first 3 locally and not on Play Asia the only place I can find them is Amazon but they are $80, is it worth it? "
    Ace Attorney is worth giving your life for... Do it. Also try half.com or ebay. Half usually has excellent deals.

Also I don't know if it's been suggested yet but if you like music games Elite Beat Agents is awesome.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
    @Yukoei said:

" @oldschool: Awesome, but you know the Phoenix Wright games I cant find the first 3 locally and not on Play Asia the only place I can find them is Amazon but they are $80, is it worth it? "

Each?  Hell no, all 3 combined, yes, as long as postage isn't a killer.  About $30-35 a game is worth it, assuming you actually like the series.  How do you get stuff from Amazon?  I thought they don't post to Australia? 

This may be an option from   dvdboxoffice.com    I use this site as well.  It is Canadian, so the prices are in Canadian dollars and unless it says so, there is no postage costs and our currencies are not far apart. 
    Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice    (so this $37 CaD will be about $40 AuD posted)   
    they had the same game at playasia, but a little cheaper: 
     Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (at about $35 AuD posted) 

It is the only one still in stock (well, that and the 4th, Miles).  I only have the first and second games.  Looks like you may need Amazon for the first 2, or try your luck on the used market.  I think I may need to add the 3rd before it is also out of stock and print.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By demontium
    @Yukoei: get rythym heaven... did you read the review on GB or IGN?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool said:

" @Yukoei said:

Each?  Hell no, all 3 combined, yes, as long as postage isn't a killer.  About $30-35 a game is worth it, assuming you actually like the series.  How do you get stuff from Amazon?  I thought they don't post to Australia? 

This may be an option from   dvdboxoffice.com    I use this site as well.  It is Canadian, so the prices are in Canadian dollars and unless it says so, there is no postage costs and our currencies are not far apart. 
    Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice    (so this $37 CaD will be about $40 AuD posted)   
    they had the same game at playasia, but a little cheaper: 
      Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (at about $35 AuD posted) It is the only one still in stock (well, that and the 4th, Miles).  I only have the first and second games.  Looks like you may need Amazon for the first 2, or try your luck on the used market.  I think I may need to add the 3rd before it is also out of stock and print. "
    All 3 first games are $288.65 I think they aren't any were worth that but then again Playstation 3 games are about the same price.

Any way to get them cheaper?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool
    @Yukoei said:
    "All 3 first games are $288.65 I think they aren't any were worth that but then again Playstation 3 games are about the same price.  Any way to get them cheaper? "
    Holy crap that is expensive.  You really shouldn't even get close to $150 for all 3 games.  I can only suggest e-bay, but make sure you ask if it will play on a DSi.  If it doesn't, it is a pirated game.  I can't stress that strongly enough.  If it ships from Hong Kong, or Asia in general, then just give it a big miss.  Local games have some risk as well, which is why you should ask before paying.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool

Just out of curiosity, here are links to Phoenix Wright games on e-bay right now.  Even if you don't buy them, add them to your watch list and see what price is being paid for them, so you can make an informed bid when you get around to it. 

Ace Attorney - Apollo Justice Nintendo DS- AS NEW  
     Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for DS - AS NEW! 
     Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - Nintendo DS 
     Ace Attorney - Justice For All Nintendo DS- AS NEW 
     DS DSI PHOENIX WRIGHT ACE ATTORNEY EXCELLENT COND

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoLines

Nobody said picross?
    And soon to be released picross3d?
    Great game.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rallier

I can vouch for Infinite Space its longevity. I'm 50 hours in and still have not beat it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Willy105

Yes, those Phoenix Wright games are crazy expensive, because they are so rare.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pessh

Elite Beat Agents

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " Yes, those Phoenix Wright games are crazy expensive, because they are so rare. "
    Man, I picked both of my 2 games up on clearance for about $15.  Get 'em while they are cheap.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Yukoei said:

Just get the japanese versions from play asia, they have english text as an option. 
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-4-49-en-15-gyakuten+saiban-70-2lz0.html  
     http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-6-49-en-15-gyakuten+saiban-70-2lz1.html 
     http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-3-49-en-15-gyakuten+saiban-70-2lz2.html  
    Got #2 and #3 that way myself, region free systems kick ass!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oldschool
    @RockmanBionics said:
    " @Yukoei said:

Just get the japanese versions from play asia, they have english text as an option. 
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-4-49-en-15-gyakuten+saiban-70-2lz0.html  
     http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-6-49-en-15-gyakuten+saiban-70-2lz1.html 
     http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-3-49-en-15-gyakuten+saiban-70-2lz2.html  Got #2 and #3 that way myself, region free systems kick ass! "
    Well picked up.  I do know that and completely forgot.  Even better than plain old English as you can have fun not understanding the Japanese as well  :-) 

There you go Yukoei, import the Japanese ones and you will look very cool amongst your friends as you play Japanese games.  All about $32 AuD a piece to import.  I might pick up the one I missed as well.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool said:
    " @RockmanBionics said:
    " @Yukoei said:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-3-49-en-15-gyakuten+saiban-70-2lz2.html  Got #2 and #3 that way myself, region free systems kick ass! "
    Well picked up.  I do know that and completely forgot.  Even better than plain old English as you can have fun not understanding the Japanese as well  :-)  There you go Yukoei, import the Japanese ones and you will look very cool amongst your friends as you play Japanese games.  All about $32 AuD a piece to import.  I might pick up the one I missed as well. "
    Problem solved ^_^

Any news on new Ace Attorney games?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldschool
    @Yukoei said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @RockmanBionics said:
    " @Yukoei said:

Well picked up.  I do know that and completely forgot.  Even better than plain old English as you can have fun not understanding the Japanese as well  :-)  There you go Yukoei, import the Japanese ones and you will look very cool amongst your friends as you play Japanese games.  All about $32 AuD a piece to import.  I might pick up the one I missed as well. "
    Problem solved ^_^  Any news on new Ace Attorney games? "
    I am not ware of anything more than the recently released Miles Edgeworth game.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @RockmanBionics said:
    " @Yukoei said:

Problem solved ^_^  Any news on new Ace Attorney games? "
    I am not ware of anything more than the recently released Miles Edgeworth game. "
    Damn, I am happy that RockmanBionics found the Japanese version because for $110 (AUD) Including posting I get all 3 games and The World Ends With You. 

I have to order now though because they only have 3 left of the first game. 

Also, any idea what it means by ''New price 2000''?
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rallier
    @Yukoei: My guess is that it is like the playstation's "platimun" games. Good games that sold a lot reduced in price to sell even more.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldschool
    @Rallier said:
    " @Yukoei: My guess is that it is like the playstation's "platimun" games. Good games that sold a lot reduced in price to sell even more. "
    What he said.  It is a re-release of a game in a budget range. 

In some cases, if they run out, it means that it is in stock now, but would be re-ordered, but sometimes it could be the last.  4 good games at $110 is like 2 games locally.  Don't forget to use the cheapest postage when you go through the checkout.  It is all you need.  I have never used any other type (in a padded bag) and they always show up.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yukoei

Edited the main post with a new game.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By JonathanMoore

Been playing Soul Silver for a lengthy period of time over the past 2 days, it's awesome. Go get that now.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Willy105

I do not own Zelda Spirit Tracks, which is odd because I love trains and Wind Waker Zelda.

But Phantom Hourglass was terrible (from the point of view of a Zelda fan).

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Supermarius
    @Yukoei:  did someone mention devil survivor? How about final fantasy tactics A2? Its one sale this week at gamestop for 14 bucks.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Yukoei
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Yukoei

Bump. I would like to know about the Phoenix Wright spoiler.     

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Linkyshinks

No.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Yukoei
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " No. "
    Thanks ^_^
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Romination
    GET ALL THE PHOENIX WRIGHT GAMES

...you can skip Miles Edgeworth though.
    raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By raphaa00
    @RockmanBionics said:

Wow, I live in Japan and really don't knew this things. Have lots of problems with japanese only games.

Do you know any more games with this option?

Also, I'm very nuts about side-scrolling games, like Castlevania. Any recommendations?
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#50  Edited By jacksukeru
    @raphaa00: Sorry, I think the Phoenix Wright games are sort of a special case, though I'm really not all that knowledgeable when it comes to these sorts of things. I have imported a few other  games in Japanese and that has worked out fine with a guide, anything story heavy would be a pain though, even with a guide with translations. 

If you want games with english in it, the only advice I could give is for you to wait until the english version is out and then import it from http://www.play-asia.com/ or some other place, the DS, PsP and PS3 are region free so any game goes, even if you have purchased a system in Japan. For games that are only released in Japan, find a guide and good luck. 

There are a bunch of Castlevania games for the DS, if you like Symphony of the Night style gameplay. 
    1. Dawn of Sorrow has a few silly DS gimmicks thrown in and a pretty horrid artstyle, but is otherwise a very solid game.
    2. Portrait of Ruin has a slightly better artstyle and mixes things up by having two characters, as well as different weapons and spells to play around with. A good time.
    3. Order of Ecclesia is HAAAAAARD. The stages are a bit linear and it's kinda different from the other two, still pretty fun but I would recommend starting with one of the other two to see how you like them.
    I personally like the Mega Man ZX and ZXA games, though they're not quite as polished as the Castlevania games so they can be kind of hard to recommend to someone who wasn't already a fan of the MM Zero games or Mega Man games in general. 
    Other than that and maybe New Super Mario Bros. ,which you sortof have to like Mario games to like I guess, I don't really know of anymore good sidescrollers on the system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.