Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

How important is the plastic case in sales of DS games?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

How important is the plastic case in sales of DS games?

Remember way back in the day, when all GBA games right through to the end were in cardboard boxes?  How much did they suck (rhetorical).  I hated them as you ended up destroying them or flattening and storing them.  You never used them to keep the games in.  They just sucked.  I ended up putting all my GBA games, into DVD cases, 2 per case.  Until I did that, I just had them laying about in containers.

If I could get cheap, spare DS cases, I would put all my GBA games in them.

Now, GBA games did sell very well, but DS has eclipsed them many times over.  How much has the plastic case to do with this?

Even in the shop, it was hard to get a game that didn't have a damaged box.

I think that the plastic is some small way has aided sales.  They keep better and they display much better in the store.  Of course, we can't really quantify how much it has helped, but do you agree that the plastic case became a sales plus in itself?

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cdfishman

I personally don't think it would really have had a major effect slaes wise. 

but they look infinately more professional, durable and attractive, so there may be something in this. 

It also helps when looking at pre-owned stuff, as with a tatty cardboard box  who wants to buy that?
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

I keep all my GBA games in a small drawer, and all my DS games with my DS case.

'Cause the point of having a portable system is not having to lug around gigantic discs and cases.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    "I keep all my GBA games in a small drawer, and all my DS games with my DS case.
    'Cause the point of having a portable system is not having to lug around gigantic discs and cases.
    "
    When I am going away, I just use one of the cases that holds your DS and games.  I think the ones I have hold in place 6 games.  That usually suffices.  

cdfishman said:
    "I personally don't think it would really have had a major effect slaes wise. 

but they look infinately more professional, durable and attractive, so there may be something in this. 

It also helps when looking at pre-owned stuff, as with a tatty cardboard box  who wants to buy that?"
    Hardly any GBA games were sold used in their boxes as most people disposed of them.  There is definitely a bigger market for used DS games than there ever was for the GBA.  

I don't actually think there was a MAJOR effect on sales, but agreed on the more professional look.  It has been much easier for department stores to present them to the public.  Even way back in the day, it used to annoy me that the Sega Mega Drive games had a nice plastic case and the SNES had the stupid boxes.  They still persisted with the N64.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.