Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Japanese DS game importers/gamer community.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

The beauty of the DS is the lack of the region coding. From this, we can indulge in importing Japanese games that would not otherwise get a release in the West. So, I figure, though as a number, we may be small, that any of us who are importers and players of Japanese games, can share their weird habit here.

I for one, import mine from playasia.com and have yet to have a problem. My games list is quite small, but growing slowly. Some genres are more suited to those of us who cannot read Japanese, such as sport, puzzle and rhythm/music. RPG games are incredibly test heavy, so presenting many difficulties.

Despite the problem with language on RPG games, I threw caution to the wind and imported A.S.H. Archaic Sealed Heat. I have actually made it through the first 2 chapters, winning and saving. I am suitably proud of my achievement. I will say that ASH is one of, if not, the best looking game on the DS yet.

The graphics are very sweet and the fighting scenes are amazing. It has a lot of voice acting, pity it is Japanese, more so than any I have encountered so far. I believe that the card is twice the size of a normal DS card. It was made by Mist Walker, who made Blue Dragon. Oh, and the entire game is touch screen only and the fighting is turn-based, so in fact, it is an S-RPG.
    http://www.ncsxshop.com/images/products/large/0907/archaic_heart_ds.jpg

Apart from ASH, I also have Ouendan 2 and Death Note.

Ouendan 2 is exactly what you expect and I thoroughly recommend it. The J-pop is just sensational, making it much better than the American pop in Elite Beat Agents (which I still enjoyed as well). Language is just not an issue as it is easy to navigate.

Death Note is an absolute mess. It is a TBS, but there is so much text, I can’t even get close to figuring it out. Looks good though. I need to work on my kanji.

So, over to you. Who else indulges in a bit of Japanese DS culture?

thedeusmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By thedeusmachine

I haven't yet, but was extremely tempted by the Korg DS-10.  Lately I've also been eyeing Jump Ultimate Stars.  I can barely believe I resisted it this long.  I'm wondering if I'll be swamped with unreadable text though, hopefully I can manage. 

I'm just watched the Death Note TV Show now and I'm sort of digging it.  It's been going downhill but I heard the end is awesome.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I haven't imported anything yet...I actually have never imported a game before (expcet Rez w/Trance vibrator because it's hilarious) ...but I think I will pick up a copy of Korg DS-10 as well. I know it did actually get announced for the states, but I don't know if I can wait.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By whyzenheimer

I've got the GBA Rhythm Tengoku, which I love, and am waiting on my copy of Rhythm Tengoku Gold for DS right now.  Also have Ouendan 1 and 2, but I haven't played them much yet because I want to get a little more mileage out of Elite Beat Agents before I switch over.

Any recommendations for me?  Obviously I like quirky rhythm action games, but if there are some other good Japanese DS games that are easy to figure out with little to no knowledge of Japanese I'd love to hear about them.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Emilio

I have Jump! Ultimate Stars and Ecoris. I too want the Korg DS-10. :(
    Thinking about importing some GBA games, though.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Demilich

I'm sure nobody here uses those horrible Nintendo DS game piracy devices to play foreign games. Certainly not I.

Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Chaos

I have not imported any game, but I'm thinking about doing so soon, especially since I'm going on a road trip by the end of September. Which game would you suggest some one  that has never imported a game?  and I like all types of games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    Demilich said:
    "I'm sure nobody here uses those horrible Nintendo DS game piracy devices to play foreign games. Certainly not I."
    And certainly not I.

Chaos said:
    "I have not imported any game, but I'm thinking about doing so soon, especially since I'm going on a road trip by the end of September. Which game would you suggest some one  that has never imported a game?  and I like all types of games."
    The really obvious ones are the music games as they require no knowledge of Japanese to play them  - Ouendan 1 & 2, Daigasso! Band Brothers DX, Rhythm Tengoku Gold and Taiko no Tatsujin DS/Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken.  The fighting game of Jump Ultimate Stars is the best in this genre.  All other games, except some puzzle games are too text heavy for anyone but the most fanatical.

Oh, and I also have Metroid Pinball in Japanese, because it was really cheap, and I have had no problems playing it (hardly any text).  Excellent game as well.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    Ossi said:
    "Ever since I imported Jump Ultimate Stars I was hooked. What have I gotten myself into!"
    A world of wonderful entertainment. :D
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marzy

I've recently been playing Rhythm Tengoku Gold and it's really good, definitely one of my favourite DS games now. There's not to much text you need to understand as well, as it's all about tapping and sliding in time to the rhythm of the songs. There's a translator guide for the menus, which can be found at the link below, if anyone needs help navigating them.

Rhythm Tengoku Gold Menu Guide

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By warchief
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne
    oldschool said:
    "Demilich said:
    "I'm sure nobody here uses those horrible Nintendo DS game piracy devices to play foreign games. Certainly not I."
    And certainly not I.
    And certainly not I.

>>>> I believe that the card is twice the size of a normal DS card.

With about 150mb, it's a bit too large for the standard 1Gbit cardridge so they put it on a 2Gbit Cardridge (with a lot of free space left). There are larger games. "Cooking Guide" for example is 220MB, with a lot of voicework.

asiansquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By asiansquare

Did anyone ever try "Tabi no Yubisashi Kaiwachou DS America"? this software really helpfull for who those want to learn Japanese, altough this software is use for Japanese when they travelling? Did you ever saw the TV commercial of this software play by famous Japanese TV Drama actress Nanako Matsushima... Really usefull item.... by using this software, you DS will become English translator!...cool!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    asiansquare said:
    "Did anyone ever try "Tabi no Yubisashi Kaiwachou DS America"? this software really helpfull for who those want to learn Japanese, altough this software is use for Japanese when they travelling? Did you ever saw the TV commercial of this software play by famous Japanese TV Drama actress Nanako Matsushima... Really usefull item.... by using this software, you DS will become English translator!...cool!
    "
    No.

I looked it up and it sounds rather convoluted.  I was intrigued by the American English portion that contains bad language -

My God, he's hot! (Listen to the monotone intonation of the speech gal)
    Ruben's on a roll.
    Yeah, I wanna do that.
    That ain't no good.
    Sh_t! Another strikeout. (There's a separate button just for "Sh_t")
    What the hell? Swing the bat.
    F_ck! I can't believe it. (There's a separate button just for "F_ck")
    Damn it! You loser!

Really?  Not very Nintendo like.  I would love a good Japanese language trainer on the DS if it was simple to use.
    mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By mikevanpwn

I've imported a few games before I realized that Japanese games seem pretty boring.   Sure there are some in depth ones out there but really its not worth it.  I do have Densetsu no Stafi 4, Electroplankton and Game and Watch Collection from Japan though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    mikevanpwn said:
    "I've imported a few games before I realized that Japanese games seem pretty boring.   Sure there are some in depth ones out there but really its not worth it.  I do have Densetsu no Stafi 4, Electroplankton and Game and Watch Collection from Japan though."
    Part of the attraction is the 'Geek' factor though.  It just seems to complete my 'geekdom' to have at least a few in the collection.

I just buy the really cheap ones, other than a little more for those that I know to be good and easy to play despite the language, such as rhythm games like Ouendan.  I still hold out hopes of mastering some basic Japanese and being able to actually have a reasonable idea of the story lines in an action/adventure or RPG.  Stafi seems popular amongst Japanese game players, but I haven't tried it.
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Gmanall

Chess... No not me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.