Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

June 09 - New games: What are you looking at buying?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Here we go again.  A new month approaching.  So what do we have to look forward to if you own a DS?

Here is the pick of the end of May and June 2009:

No Caption Provided
    Personal Trainer: Walking 

Personal Trainer: Walking is an entry in the Personal Trainer series which tracks users' progress and makes going for a walk a little more fun. It comes with two pedometers that users can wirelessly connect to their Nintendo DS system when they return home.

No Caption Provided
    UP

The Up video game will take players on an exotic adventure with Carl Fredricksen and his young sidekick, Wilderness Explorer Russell, as they set off on a wild journey through the undiscovered jungles of South America. Players will be able to experience all four main characters from the movie -- Carl, Russell, Dug the lovable dog or Kevin the prehistoric bird -- while playing as a single-player or with a friend cooperatively throughout the entire game. Players will encounter exciting, new environments as they navigate through treacherous jungle terrains, battle dangerous creatures and trek the slippery slopes of the Amazonian Tepuis. In addition, the game also features multi-player game modes, including an epic level that will allow up to four players to compete in aerial combat.

No Caption Provided
    Naruto Shippuden Ninja Council 4

Reenact the first major story arc of NARUTO: Shippuden with all new, grown up characters from the hit television series. Gaara is in grave danger when two members of the sinister Akatsuki infiltrate the Village Hidden in the Sand to capture the Kazekage. Track them down with Naruto, Sakura, Kakashi and more of your favorites, through several tough platformer levels. Unlock new jutsu to explore previously unreachable areas or take out your rivals in wireless battle mode!

No Caption Provided
    Knights in the Nightmare

AN UNFORGETTABLE GAMING EXPERIENCE FOR NINTENDO DS! Certain to be one of the most innovative titles of 2009, Knights in the Nightmare is wholly unique. Not easily placed in any one genre, the game requires players to throw out everything they know about roleplaying and strategy games and embrace something altogether new and fresh. Frantic, energetic action mixes with thoughtprovoking tactical gameplay, all within a beautifully-rendered fantasy setting and presented through a captivating, emotional narrative. Dripping with style and originality, Knights in the Nightmare delivers an unforgettable experience.

No Caption Provided
    MySims Racing 

Race into an all-new adventure with the MySims! Start out at the driving school and learn the ways of the road. Work your way up to facing the toughest MySims rival racers and trickiest tracks in the land. The more you win, the more you’ll be able to customize your kart and trick it out with new gadgets and power-ups. When you’re ready, take on your friends in four-player mode!

No Caption Provided
    C.O.R.E. 

In A.D. 2028 - a massive meteor slammed into California's Mojave Desert. Leading scientists were quickly dispatched to examine the extraterrestrial radiation that was transforming the environment and all life in the area. For twenty years many experiments were carried out at C.O.R.E., the TOP-SECRET underground facility built on the site . . . that is until the day when all communications with the lab abruptly ceased. You are Jason Crane, a member of an elite military unite assigned to penetrate C.O.R.E. You must use all your skills to unravel the mystery hidden deep within C.O.R.E . . . and to survive.

No Caption Provided
    The Legendary Starfy 

In The Legendary Starfy players dive into a spectacular undersea adventure with Starfy, the legendary hero of Pufftop. Players swoop into enemies like a shooting star, glide over bottomless chasms and transform into powerful creatures to help a mysterious, bunny-eared visitor find his lost memory.

No Caption Provided
    Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

Bel Lenora is a world where people are born with magic at their command. Years ago, a single man walked the land with no magic in his veins. He brought death and tragedy in his wake and was banished by a brave General at a great cost. It has been fifteen years since his banishment and once again, a young man with no magic walks the land of Bel Lenora. Join Kairu, a young knight, born with a cursed spirit...

No Caption Provided
    Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Step into the shoes of the legendary hero, Indiana Jones, in an all new epic adventure! Set in the year 1939, Indiana Jones® and the Staff of Kings™ follows the rogue archaeologist on an allnew globe-trotting quest. From San Francisco's Chinatown to the lush jungles of Panama, Indy must use his whip, fists and wits to fight through ruthless opposition as he spars with his nemesis, Magnus Völler, in a race for a relic of biblical proportions – the Staff of Moses. Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings features completely interactive environments, where players need to call upon their wits and daring to make each spring-loaded environment a weapon in order to dispense of foes in clever and unexpected ways. Also, embark upon thrilling action sequences that remain true to the spirit established in scenes such as Indy's pursuit of the motorcade in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the mine-cart scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and the free-for-all aboard the tank in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

No Caption Provided
    Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits 

No Caption Provided
    Miami Law 

Miami Law is an action-adventure game worthy of its own prime-time TV show. It’s got all the ingredients: a storyline with a shadowy terrorist conspiracy, furious shoot-outs in abandoned warehouses, challenging crime-scene detective work, and more! You can switch between two main characters: the intense Law Martin from the Miami PD or the brainy Sara Starling from the FBI. Events will unfold differently, depending on who you pick. If you can’t foil the conspiracy and save Miami, the nation, and the world, nobody can.

No Caption Provided
    LEGO Battles

LEGO Battles is the latest game from the award-winning team behind LEGO Batman: The Videogame and LEGO Indiana Jones. With trademark LEGO fun and charm, LEGO Battles combines three classic LEGO themes to create a unique extension of the LEGO build-and-play experience that stays true to the customization and humor that are the foundation of LEGO videogames. LEGO Battles features elements of three popular LEGO toy themes: LEGO Space, LEGO Castle, and LEGO Pirates, offering a new kind of “build and battle” LEGO gameplay. Through six distinct story lines, players build their own LEGO bases and battle teams as they engage in 90 different levels. Players can then mix and match units to create the ultimate customized LEGO squad. LEGO Battles is an action-packed adventure for young gamers where swordsmen clash with pirates and ninjas face off against alien spaceships with multiple opportunities for customization and un-lockable treasures. Players can also challenge friends on the battlefield in multiplayer mode through wireless DS multi-card play.

No Caption Provided
    Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters: The Video Game, based on the smash hit motion picture franchise and featuring a completely new story, is coming to six game systems in 2009. Coinciding with the 25th anniversary celebration of the film’s original theatrical release, the game reunites original cast members to recapture the unique blend of humour and fright that established Ghostbusters as a pop culture sensation. Penned by original Ghostbusters writers Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd, Ghostbusters: The Video Game brings members of the original cast together for the first time in 20 years. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson lend their voices and in-game likenesses to the original story set two years after Ghostbusters II, with Manhattan once again overrun by ghosts and supernatural forces. Players will have the chance to chase, attack, and catch ghosts in a funny and frightening battle to save New York from its latest supernatural plague.

No Caption Provided
    Flower, Sun and Rain 

From the twisted mind behind Killer 7 and No More Heroes comes a mystery adventure title like no other. Originally released on the PlayStation®2 and quickly gaining notoriety for its uniqueness, Flower, Sun, and Rain had never been available outside of Japan until now. This updated Nintendo DS release features all the creative quirks that made the original a cult hit while adding Touch Screen functionality and 50 new puzzles in what’s sure to please loyal fans of its creator, “Suda51.”

No Caption Provided
    Dawn of Discovery 

No Caption Provided
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
    THE SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI SERIES FINALLY COMES TO NINTENDO DS™! Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor marks the first time the popular RPG franchise has made its way onto Nintendo DS, and it certainly takes advantage of the opportunity. An incredibly innovative RPG/SRPG system—with tactical yet action-packed combat— compliments a powerful narrative in the great tradition of the SMT games. Fans will surely be thrilled with the stylish aesthetics, novel game mechanics, and original story, and newcomers will find a fresh new spin on the critically-acclaimed SMT universe.

No Caption Provided
    Overlord: Minions

Meet Giblet, Blaze, Stench, and Zap – an elite Minion crew who, assisted by minion master Gnarl, get star billing in Overlord Minions, an irresistible and accessible puzzle action game, designed exclusively for Nintendo DS. In Overlord Minions, the Overlord commands the Minion team remotely. The Nintendo DS stylus becomes an extension of his evil will and every precise touch screen command is the player-as-Overlord directing, commanding and combining minions in battle, pointing and sweeping them to attack enemies and solving puzzles to execute his dastardly plans. Controlling the Special Farces team of four, players negotiate fiendish levels and take on a huge range of warped enemies to hunt down the Kindred, a cult dedicated to resurrecting the mighty Dragon Kin, a race of humanoid dragon hybrids, determined to replace the Overlord’s despotism with their own. Extending the Overlord series’ trademark humour, gameplay focuses on the mischievous physical comedy of the minion’s antics and is delivered in a gloriously realised cartoon visual style.

No Caption Provided
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Autobots

Become the ultimate Autobot or Decepticon in TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, the official game of one of 2009’s biggest blockbuster films. Unleash your power to determine the fate of Earth as the ultimate war rages across the globe. Every second counts as you experience TRANSFORMERS like never before!

No Caption Provided
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Decepticons 

Become the ultimate Autobot or Decepticon in TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, the official game of one of 2009’s biggest blockbuster films. Unleash your power to determine the fate of Earth as the ultimate war rages across the globe. Every second counts as you experience TRANSFORMERS like never before!

No Caption Provided
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 

In “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort’s defences’ and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information.

No Caption Provided
    Mega Man Star Force 3 Red Joker

The world is in peril from a mysterious “noise” that is affecting the EM digital world. Through his bond with the alien Omega, Geo must transform into the legendary Mega Man to uncover the mystery behind the noise and protect the Earth. Can he master the new Mega Man transformations of Black Ace and Red Joker before it’s too late?

No Caption Provided
    Mega Man Star Force 3 Black Ace 

The world is in peril from a mysterious “noise” that is affecting the EM digital world. Through his bond with the alien Omega, Geo must transform into the legendary Mega Man to uncover the mystery behind the noise and protect the Earth. Can he master the new Mega Man transformations of Black Ace and Red Joker before it’s too late?

No Caption Provided
    Treasure World 

Discover amazing wonders that are hidden all around you with Treasure World, a fi rst-of-its-kind explore-and-fi nd experience that acts as a treasure detector, collector, creative canvas and community gateway.

No Caption Provided
    Ice Age: Dawn of Dinosaurs

Join Ice Age’s unlikely herd of prehistoric pals for their wildest, wackiest, most exciting adventure yet! For the first time, play as six beloved Ice Age characters as they embark on a rescue mission across melting snow to the mysterious Dinosaur World – an all-new, fur-raising jungle of carnivorous plants, lush foliage and fierce dinosaurs. Based on the highly anticipated Fox film Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, it’s a rollicking ride of mammoth proportions!

Not as good as the Japanese release list for me, but still, some excellent games worthy of attention:
    Shin Megami
    Knights in the Nightmare
    Dawn of Discovery
    Black Sigil

Anything on the list showing up on your radar?
    Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Demo

Nothing on that list that I want, however I still want to get Contra 4 and Korg DS 10. Phantom Hourglass probably later, I lost my original cartridge.

Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Edgar

Definitely picking up SMT: Devil Survivor and I'm pretty interested in Starfy as well.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Knights, SMT, Flower Sun and Rain, and possibly guitar hero

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    AgentJ said:
    Knights, SMT, Flower Sun and Rain, and possibly guitar hero
    Flower, Sun & Rain is and has been available in Australia for quite a while and compared to other new games, cheap - $30 v $60.  Thing is, the reviews don't paint a great game.  So I have bypassed.

Kinghts & Shin Megami are clearly the quality games in those releases.  Any fan of RPG won't be able to resist them.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Axersia

I wouldn't get my hopes up on Black Sigil if I were you... How many times has that game been delayed now? Like 3 or 4 times in this year alone. Of course, the game has been done since January and even got reviewed by Nintendo Power already (5/10 -- not very promising), but the publisher doesn't have the cash to print enough copies of the game and was unable to secure credit so they just keep pushing it back one month. I don't have a lot of faith it'll be out next month, but hey, we'll see.

Anyway, I'll definitely pick up KITN and Devil Survivor at some point but probably not on release date. That's all I'm interested in from the list. Starfy is probably a quality game as well though, but I'm already familiar with the GBA iterations and I'm not really in the mood for more of the same.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    Axersia said:
    I wouldn't get my hopes up on Black Sigil if I were you... How many times has that game been ... [more]
    I just read that Black Sigil stuff and I wasn't aware of the information you know.  So, no Black Sigil for me then  :-)

Still, 2 excellent games that are amust buy, in 1 month for one system is more than enough for my wallet thank you  :-)
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By zitosilva

I'm looking very much forward to Knights in The Knightmare. I'd like to also get Devil Survivor, but I'm saving that money for Little King's Story.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    zitosilva said:
    I'm looking very much forward to Knights in The Knightmare. I'd like to also get Devil Survivor, but I'm saving ... [more]
    Little King's Story is also calling out for me  :-)

More love for Knights & Shin Megani.  I hope they sell well.
    SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SenatorSpacer

Devil Survivor, C.O.R.E., and one of the two Mega Man games are what I'm interested in.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

The MegaMan games have always been great. Those peek my interest but i don't really have money for DS games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    SenatorSpacer said:
    Devil Survivor, C.O.R.E., and one of the two Mega Man games are what I'm interested in.
    Agnogenic_delete said:
    The MegaMan games have always been great. Those peek my interest but i don't really have money for DS games. [more]
    I have never had a handheld Megaman and in fact the only Megaman game I have is in fact Rockman EXE Transmission for the GameCube (yep, I am that hardcore  xD).  SOme of the games review very well and others just horribly.  They are usually pretty cheap to pick up, but still, I bypass them.  Tell me the attraction as a gamer, rather than the reviewer's views.
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Disgaeamad

I've got Knights in the Nightmare on pre-order, game looks ballin'. Looking forward to the OST and artbook as well.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    Disgaeamad said:
    I've got Knights in the Nightmare on pre-order, game looks ballin'. Looking forward to the OST and artbook as well. [more]
    Don't forget a photo of the booty and some bragging when you get it  :-)
    SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By SenatorSpacer
    oldschool said:
    SenatorSpacer said: Devil Survivor, C.O.R.E., and one of the two Mega Man games are what I'm interested in. Agnogenic_delete said: ... [more]
    I only played Megaman Battlenetwork 2 and I consider it one of the greatest RPG's of all time.

It just was really fun, had a interesting storyline, and had some cool stuff going for it with the combat system. I always wanted to get back into it, and so I just might :D
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    SenatorSpacer said:
    oldschool said: SenatorSpacer said: Devil Survivor, C.O.R.E., and one of the two Mega Man games are what I'm interested in. ... [more]
    Me too! I think I enjoyed it enough to play it again... I am going to search for something that rhymes with gameulator.
    joecoopsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joecoopsays

i like the guitar hero games so i am gonna get the new one

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fishinwithguns

I wish they would release more Megaman ZX games and stop doing  that Star Force crap.  I've never played any Shin Megami Tensei, but if it's coming to DS I might check it out.  I like playing RPGs on my DS, but I don't really like playing them on other consoles for some reason.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    needforswede said:
    I wish they would release more Megaman ZX games and stop doing  that Star Force crap.  I've never played any ... [more]
    I enjoy RPG on both, but I definitely prefer and play more on the DS.  Convenience is the main reason I guess.  It is hard to get time with the console and television.  I also love the cute art style of the DS games.  Tales of Hearts looks great and though I played Symphonia a lot, I can see myself spending more time with the DS game.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By ThomasP

The Legendary Starfy

Knights in Nightmare (maybe)

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (maybe)

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Sam_lfcfan

None of these games look interesting to me. Wake me up when Scribblenauts comes out!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    Sam_lfcfan said:
    None of these games look interesting to me. Wake me up when Scribblenauts comes out!
    Apart from Scribblenauts, which type of games are you into?
    Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By Sam_lfcfan
    oldschool said:
    Sam_lfcfan said: None of these games look interesting to me. Wake me up when Scribblenauts comes out! Apart from Scribblenauts, ... [more]

I play all types of games. But the DS games announced so far to come out this year ,besides from Scribblenauts and the next Zelda, don't look that great. I'll wait for reviews on the other games.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
    Sam_lfcfan said:
    oldschool said: Sam_lfcfan said: None of these games look interesting to me. Wake me up when Scribblenauts comes out! Apart ... [more]
    The real strength of the DS at the moment is RPG & Strategy.  I can understand people not enjoying some of those.  I think there needs to be some more high quality platformers, even if I don't play them a lot.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.