Looking for some long games on the DS.

#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've had a DS for a while now, but I've only ever gotten Pokemon SoulSilver and Chrono Trigger, I currently have a job that requires me to do absolutely nothing in an empty building for 12 hour shifts. So I'm looking for some long games that would occupy my time during these incredibly boring shifts, because so far I've just been staring at a wall for 12 hours every day.

Relatively cheap games would be preferable, but not necessarily.

#2 Edited by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

@CL60: I should think a lot of DS games are relatively cheap now, no?

Been a while since I've touched a DS but I do remember enjoying these games which are relatively lengthy:

Layton Series - A no brainer really unless you hate puzzle games.

Castlevania - Order of Ecclesia - An excellent Castlevania game. Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are good fun too.

Rhythm Heaven - A rhythm game. Relatively challenging with great music.

Elite Beat Agents - Another rhythm game, not terribly long but great fun and should be cheap too.

Rune Factory - It's essentially Diablo Lite and Harvest Moon wrapped together. Spent a lot of time on this I did.

Age of Empires: Age of Kings - It's nothing like the original but it turned out to be surprisingly fun turn based strategy game.

Disgaea - Again, a turn based strategy game with excellent humour. The PSP port is better since you get voiced dialogue but that's all there is to that version.

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten but these ought to keep you busy for a while.

#3 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

Picross 3d is the only game you need for the ds or 3ds.

#4 Posted by MormonWarrior (2576 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I've had a DS for a while now, but I've only ever gotten Pokemon SoulSilver and Chrono Trigger, I currently have a job that requires me to do absolutely nothing in an empty building for 12 hour shifts. So I'm looking for some long games that would occupy my time during these incredibly boring shifts, because so far I've just been staring at a wall for 12 hours every day.

Relatively cheap games would be preferable, but not necessarily.

Yikes that sounds like an...exciting job.

Any RPGs would be good. I particularly like Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Radiant Historia is good, I hear, and Ghost Trick is neat. The Phoenix Wright games are all decently long too.

#5 Edited by DeF (4861 posts) -

All of the above.

+Advance Wars games

+ GTA: Chinatown Wars

+Lock's Quest

+Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

+Retro Game Challenge

+Ninjatown

+GOlden Sun: Dark Dawn (you probably won't mind the endless dialog in your situation^^)

and I hear the framerate isn't so awesome but as a game itself, you can't go wrong with Sim City DS

#6 Edited by ThunderSlash (1685 posts) -

I heard that Dragon Quest 9 is a long ass game. There was an image floating around showing that Reggie Fils-Aime's save file had 300+ hours logged in it.

Edit: It was 200+ hours, not 300+ hours.

Reggie's DQ9 Save
#7 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

Final Fantasy 4 DS is a really great remake in my opinion. It took me quite a while, and if there are any criticisms I have of the game it is that it is rather hard as far as Final Fantasy games go, will require some grinding in spots. Especially the final boss, jesus christ. Basically until you can get big bang to not instantly kill you, you're gonna have to level up. But still, game makes up for it by being awesome the rest of the time. If you like JRPGs anyway!

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8150 posts) -

Any of the Advance Wars games, you can literally play them forever.

Or if you want to get creative, you can pick up Wario Ware DIY.

#9 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

Rune Factory - It's essentially Diablo Lite and Harvest Moon wrapped together. Spent a lot of time on this I did.

that actually sounds pretty great. hmm i wonder if Rune Factory can be found around here. i could use a new DS game, too

#10 Posted by kurtbro900 (117 posts) -

Bowser's inside story. I never beat it, but I was 12 hours in when I quit. so It will last you at least 1 shift.

#11 Posted by CannonGoose (372 posts) -

Yeah, if you like RPGs you should totally get Dragon Quest IX and Radiant Historia.

I put 50 and 30 hours into them respectively and I didn't do many sidequests in either game.

#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll pick some stuff up soon.

#13 Edited by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

Radiant Historia. 9 hours in and loving it. It's got an interesting story and battle system. I'm also only level 23 and a certain screen indicates I have a ton left to do. It should last you a while.

#14 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

Dragon Quest 9 was fantastic, I sunk far too much time into it. Radiant Historia always looked interesting but I never played it.

#15 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
  • Pokemon Black/White.
  • Pokemon Diamond.
  • Freshly Picked Tingles Rosy Rupeeland.
  • Any Professor Layton game.
  • 42 All Time Classics.
#16 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Puzzle Quest series (from what I played of it on the 360 & on the DS) is a good pick I think for this.

#17 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -
#18 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

I just bought a 3DS, and instead of getting a proper 3D game, I went straight for Dragon Quest 9. 50 hours in, and I'm probably not even half done.

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I went and got golden sun since I loved the first 2 and final fantasy 4, I was going to get dragon quest 9 and Pokemon black/white. I'm not sure I made the correct decision.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Any decision with Final Fantasy IV is the right decision.

#21 Edited by believer258 (11802 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

But... what happened to your fervent infatuation with and convinced magnificence of Radiant Historia?

#22 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Video_Game_King

Well I'm stuck in it and feel like throwing my ds at somebody. It's hurting my feelings
#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

Gotta go with FF4 on this, despite how friggin' awesome Radiant Historia is.

#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4967 posts) -

Every playthrough in 999 is much better than the last one. Get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.