Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Music games on the DS: do you want to scratch?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Deep Silver dares to announce a DJ game

(Joystiq)

That scratching is making me itch.
    That scratching is making me itch.
    If we happened to be working on a music game about spinning turntables, we would probably delay any press releases or announcements about it for a few months. The DJ game scene is a little ... hostile (in court) at the moment, and it seems like a good idea to let some of that business blow over before inviting the ire of two litigious companies. 

Nevertheless, Deep Silver bravely announced DJ Star for the DS today. The game uses the touch screen to simulate turntables, and includes "40 famous tracks (Electro, R&B, etc.)" The Game Life-developed music game even features a music creation utility! DJ Star is expected out "later this year." Nobody tell Genius or Activision -- or Konami, for that matter.

The DS is not short of music and rhythm games.  This is a good thing.  I love Ouendan and the English version, Elite Beat Agents.  We also have Rhythm Heaven and the Guitar Hero series.  Oh, and there is Jam Sessions.  I really enjoyed playing Coldplay's Yellow on that, plus connecting the DS to a full on speaker system to do it was pretty cool.  We can't forget  KORG DS, man, I really have to get that.   What about DJ scratching?

If I remember correctly fro my daughter playing Sims 2 DS, there was some music scratching on that game.

So DJ Star is on its way.  Details are still a way off, but what about the concept of scratching as a game?  I really like it personally.  What I like as opposed to the Guitar Hero games is that more variety of music is possible and as much as I like guitar and rock, I also like dance, pop and hip hop which this style of game would cater for.

On top of that, the touch screen is made for this type of game.

Does this type of game appeal, specifically DJ Star, but more generally, DJ scratching games on the DS?  Me, I am ready to scratch.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    theMcNasty said:
    "      The market is just getting flooded with these DJ games recently.  What's next Sound Guy Hero?"
    You underestimate how much fun there is in how you say "check, check, check 1, 2, check"  :P

Does it matter how many there are if they are good?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

I am not keen on the idea of such games on DS, to me they seem way too gimmicky, I would much prefer morequality driven serious software, like Korg DS-10. If there was software available where I could load MP3's onto my DSi and then mix them, I would be interested.

Korg DS-10

I hope another version or something similar is made, with DSI features used in an imaginative fashion.

No Caption Provided

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    Linkyshinks said:
    "I am not keen on the idea of such games on DS, to me they seem way too gimmicky, I would much prefer morequality driven serious software, like Korg DS-10. If there was software available where I could load MP3's onto my DSi and then mix them, I would be interested.

Korg DS-10

I hope another version or something similar is made, with DSI features used in an imaginative fashion. "
    I still need to get that.  I figure it would give me hours of fun, much like Garage Band does on my Mac.  However, I think scratching is only as good as how much you enjoy the music.  I think there is a lot of potential.
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
    oldschool said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "I am not keen on the idea of such games on DS, to me they seem way too gimmicky, I would much prefer morequality driven serious software, like Korg DS-10. If there was software available where I could load MP3's onto my DSi and then mix them, I would be interested.

Korg DS-10

I hope another version or something similar is made, with DSI features used in an imaginative fashion. "
    I still need to get that.  I figure it would give me hours of fun, much like Garage Band does on my Mac.  However, I think scratching is only as good as how much you enjoy the music.  I think there is a lot of potential.
    "
    I'm going to hunt down this game and add it to my collection. Maybe i'll get it for my B-Day.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Linkyshinks said:

Korg DS-10

"
    I'm going to hunt down this game and add it to my collection. Maybe i'll get it for my B-Day."
    Well, happy 21st when that day arrives VG  :-)
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Willy105

I played Guitar Hero on DS.

It was fantastic, although the considerable increase in size of the handheld was annoying.

ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
    oldschool said:
    "ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Linkyshinks said:

Korg DS-10

"
    I'm going to hunt down this game and add it to my collection. Maybe i'll get it for my B-Day."
    "
    Actually i'll be 27 this year. I thought the grays gave away my age... lol :)
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "oldschool said:
    "ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "oldschool said:
    "
    Actually i'll be 27 this year. I thought the grays gave away my age... lol :)"
    That's why they invented hair dye. :-)

27, I've been married longer than that :P
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

Actually, if that was done right, it could be pretty cool.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Interesting, but I'd rather use my technics that are on the table beside me.

ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
    oldschool said:
    "ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "oldschool said:
    "ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "oldschool said:
    "
    Actually i'll be 27 this year. I thought the grays gave away my age... lol :)"
    That's why they invented hair dye. :-)

27, I've been married longer than that :P
    "
    I dyed my hair with my best frined once and it made me look even paler than i am. And then my Aunt said i'd make a Great red head so i let her dye my hair and i ended up with orange highlights for about 6 months. All the high school kids made fun of me and called me a "Punk Rocker". So i no longer dye my hair. It's been going gray since i was 16 and i don't really mind that much. I think i gives me character.
    Wow 27+ years of Bliss.... So what's your secret????

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.