Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nerf-ify your DS.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Go to Source

Nintendo DS Nerf Armour - The Look

No Caption Provided

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but Pelican comes as close as possible with their  DS  Lite Nerf Armour. And why not? They're at the top of the list for DS Accesssories.

Nintendo  DS  Nerf Armour was originally sold in just a few rather gaudy color combinations, but consumer response and input has made the company rethink the design. Now you can get the DS Nerf Armour in a range of colours, from bright blue to a subtle grey/black combination.

In most cases, the color matches pretty well. If you've got a black or white DS there's a lot to pick from, but no worries if you went another route. There's even pink DS Lite Nerf Armour out there in a few different colour combinations.

There are also plenty of selections for each system. Whether you've got a DS, DS Lite or even a DSi, there's Nerf Armour to suit your needs. It won't help your  camera like the Zoom Case, but it'll keep your system nice and safe.

The only downside is that, just as with any case, it's going to add a bit of thickness to your system. If you want to keep your DS safe, you'll have to sacrifice a bit of sleekness. One trip down the stairs though and you won't regret storing your system in a nice thick case. 

The Feel - Playing the DS with Nerf Armour Equipped 

No Caption Provided
       If you're like me, your hands are a bit bothered after playing the DS for an extended period. It's not the most comfortable system to hold, especially for long play sessions. That's where the Nerf Armour serves a double purpose.

So what does it feel like? It's Nerf! The Nerf armor feels just like Nerf footballs. It's squishy, but without too much give, and it breathes pretty well. It's got enough grip that your hands won't slip off of it, but it's got enough leeway that it adds some comfort to an otherwise unwieldy system. 

The Nintendo DS Nerf Armour isn't just protective, but comfortable too. The one thing I was really worried about was the casing getting warm after playing for too long, but there's plenty of room for air to move through the armour, and it's actually fairly cool.

The one downside again is the thickness. If you've got smaller hands, you may not be as comfortable while using the Nerf Armour. 

Is it Safe? - Will Nerf Armour Protect My DS? 

No Caption Provided

And that's what it really comes down to in the end, doesn't it? The look and the feel of the thing don't really matter if it won't keep your system safe. Well I've got some good news on that front. The  Nintendo  DS  Nerf Armor has been proven time and time again to be the absolute best when it comes to durability.

The Armour's thickness makes theystem less sleek looking and a bit less comfortable for people with small hands, but it's all for a reason. Dropping the DS in other, harder cases can result in a cracked screen or broken hinge, but the Nintendo DS Nerf Armour can survive almost anything.

When moving into my new apartment, my DS took a spill down two flights of metal stairs and survived. I call that a win. Just don't pit it up against man's best friend.

What's That About a Dog?

I was visiting my parents last Christmas and I had my DS with me so I could show them some of the cooking programs and brain games that I thought they'd like. Once it was time for dinner, I set the DS down and went to eat. A half hour later I went to retrieve the system and lo and behold, it was gone.

It turns out the Nintendo DS Nerf Armor made the system look, to my parent's dog a
    nyway, like a chew toy. It had taken the system off of the table I left it on and went to town. It was a battle getting the DS back from the dog too!

Now, I have to admit, the DS was pretty well protected through the battle. The screens were fine, and thanks to the thickness and hardness of the padding, there wasn't a scratch on it. The one thing it doesn't protect from, though, is dog drool.

So, now you know.  Who likes it?  Who doesn't? 

I'm not real sure I would buy such an cover, as the bulkiness would annoy me, but I do have a cover that probably isn't that much thinner, but does protect the DSi from scratches.  Also not sure a gamer of my advanced years wouldn't look like a paedophile or something with a Nerf cover and a DS.  I do like playing with Nerf though - awesome fun, no matter your age.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Dear lord. Why would I want this?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " Dear lord. Why would I want this? "
    Ummmm, 'cause you would look cool with the ladies and your mates at the college bar   :/
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

That Nerf-Armour kind of makes the DS look like an old 80s Nintendo Multi-Screen handheld.  Cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.