Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi is the Modern Game Boy Color?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    DSi is the Modern Game Boy Color 

Think the DSi is doomed to failure? Think again...

To anyone who thinks the DSi is just another Game Boy Micro -- doomed to obscurity because people don't see the need to another model of the same hardware -- I urge you to think again. DSi is more akin to the Game Boy Color. 

When the Game Boy Color hit in 1998, many people looked at it as simply the original Game Boy with a color screen since the marketing didn't really delve beyond that headline feature. In reality, it was much more than that. The original Game Boy ran at 4Mhz. The Game Boy Color doubled that to 8Mhz and also doubled the system RAM. The GBC was capable of all kinds of new hardware tricks that put it somewhere in the middle realm of hardware placement. It may not have had the Super NES's graphics capabilities, but it's processor was three times as fast. A small assortment of GBC titles even support PCM sound effects, and one in particular (Cannon Fodder) even supports a full motion video intro. 

Aside from the hardware upgrade, the GBC also got a better screen. At first, software created for the platform featured a dual boot mode so that the millions of existing Game Boy owners out there wouldn't miss out, but these titles were essentially plain old Game Boy titles with a few perks and didn't really utilize the new hardware. As people flocked to the GBC though, exclusive titles became far more common and games that fully abused the enhanced hardware came out regularly. Gamers could see the difference, but Nintendo didn't really promote the new hardware features of the GBC beyond it's color screen. Gamers noticed the difference though. 

This same exact cycle is happening again with the DSi. Nintendo promotes the new features such as DSiWare and the added cameras, but they aren't really touching all the other new hardware boosts the DSi enjoys. The original DS Phat/Lite's main processor runs at a mere 67 Mhz. The DSi doubles that to 133Mhz. The RAM has also been quadrupled from 4MB to 16MB, perhaps mainly for the web browser, but there's nothing stopping exclusive software from using that extra power. Aside from that boost, most people know about the enhanced operating system, online store, SD support, new buttons combining the look of the DS Lite with the feel of the DS Phat, and the upcoming downloadable back catalog of Game Boy titles. The DSi is far more of an upgrade than even the Game Boy Color was. 

It works out like this... 

And if I remember correctly, the Game Boy Color in it's day sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million units (Nintendo wouldn't give exact separate numbers of the Game Boy and Game Boy Color individual sales) and extended the Game Boy's life cycle another three years. Sure, the DSi doesn't have the benefit of riding 90's "Poke-mania" to easy success, and sure, adding color to Nintendo handhelds after ten years of monochrome vomit green screens may have been a bigger deal, but that doesn't change the fact that the DSi is destined to be a success. Perhaps not every mom and dad out there will see the need to buy little Jimmy or Jasmine another handheld when the hinge of their DS Phat is still working just fine, but millions of other people will. My sister just did. I just might too when I see some compelling downloadable software.

What do you think of this?

I can see the DSi extending the life of the DS and 3 years is probably about the outside length of time.  If they didn't do it, the DS would have started a much earlier slide.

I also think the changes are much greater than we give credit for, but unless they get used properly, what point are they.  The first company to break with a DSi only game will be my new favourite developer.  Please let it be Square Enix and a big RPG  :-)
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

The DSi is the new Gameboy color.  It is bound to have exclusives that won't be accessible by earlier DS iterations.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By subject2change

Difference is the GameBoy Color was a step up and you still could play YOUR OLD GAMES and not just download utter shit or demos.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

I wouldn't disagree with that assertion. Although I would argue that the jump from Pocket to Color was more dramatic (at least at the time, to my 8 year old self) than DS to DSi is.

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By thebobster10

I used to have that see through purple one! LOVED IT :)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    Subject2Change said:
    Difference is the GameBoy Color was a step up and you still could play YOUR OLD GAMES and not just ... [more]
    You still can play all your old games.  GBA does not count, it is anther format.  Your analogy is just wrong.

Sure, the downloads are pretty average so far, but all innovations take a little time to bear fruit.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red

It's a big step up, but they haven't done anything with it yet, and it doesn't look like they ever will.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    It's a big step up, but they haven't done anything with it yet, and it doesn't look like they ever ... [more]
    I don't share your pessimism.  Time will tell which of us is right  :-)
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Godwind

It just happens to be one of those things that won't be readily understood like Blu-Ray or High Definition.  In due time it will demonstrate what it can really do.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change
    oldschool said:
    Subject2Change said: Difference is the GameBoy Color was a step up and you still could play YOUR OLD GAMES and ... [more]
    Gameboy and Gameboy Color games were  both carts however different formats; a GameBoy couldn't play a GameBoy Color game. My Analogy is fine; the DS and DSlite made it possible to play older Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Adavance games the DSI took that out.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    Subject2Change said:
    oldschool said: Subject2Change said: Difference is the GameBoy Color was a step up and you still could play YOUR OLD ... [more]
    DS never played anything but GBA.  Older formats were not supported.  Old games for the DS are only DS games, not GBA, so you still miss your mark.  
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind
    Subject2Change said:
    oldschool said: Subject2Change said: Difference is the GameBoy Color was a step up and you still could play YOUR OLD ... [more]
    The DS and DSlite are not capable of playing Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.  There is more likely going to be a Virtual Console for the DSi to play these games.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By subject2change

Ahhhh thought it complete backwards compatibility haven't owned a GB or GBC game in years lol.

Still don't think the lite to dsi is that ground breaking difference larger screens are nice, and a better layout of buttons but me I don't waste money downloading fractions of games and i don't see how they couldn't have had a decent lineup of titles to come out at launch.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    Subject2Change said:
    Ahhhh thought it complete backwards compatibility haven't owned a GB or GBC game in years lol.Still don't think the lite ... [more]
    Agreed.  The must have been planning DSiware for quite a long time and they could have done better.  It wasn't a raging success.
    Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Shadow2K6
    Subject2Change said:

Not true.  Some GBC games could be played on GB.  The black cartridges were GBC games but could be played on GB.  The clear cartridges however could only be played on GBC. 
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Godwind
    Subject2Change said:
    Ahhhh thought it complete backwards compatibility haven't owned a GB or GBC game in years lol.Still don't think the lite ... [more]
    The way I look at it, it means I can carry plenty of games on the go.  
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

I likened to a "stealth DS2" in another thread. Overall, I agree with you, except I don't think the GBC extended the GB life all that much (sure, it lasted that long, but would it die much earlier without the GBC?) and I think the DSi is destined to do more. It fits this thread too so, copy paste:

"The DSi may well end up being a stealth launch of a "DS 2" thanks to the added specs, and they've already announced new games can be either "DSi enhanced" or "DSi exclusive" which means the latter has no reason not to use the added power and ram. It's a genious concept. The install base of the DSi will keep growing in number, while the DS Lite stops being sold. The more DSi exclusive and enhanced content is out, the more its install base increases from people who upgrade once they feel more confident, and by the time a competitor has a new portable out, Nintendo shows they've had their "new portable" out for years, it has an established install base to the millions and is finally being exploited fully by all the new software, with a couple of first party titles showing that off. At least, that's what I'd do."

"The bigger screens and extra brightness, as well as the Wii-like channel features, built-in browser, and whatever else it has, also sweeten the deal for those who wanted a DS but held off buying one for any number of reasons. It's certainly not as marginal an upgrade as something like the different PSP models we have had so far."

"Things for DSiWare can only get better (by the way, there's no reason such titles can't use the full power of the DSi, as the DS doesn't have DSiWare), Nintendo doesn't do a lot of first party downloadable stuff (but they'll probably be more active in the field as time passes) but there are certainly willing third parties out there. WiiWare also got a slow start but has been building a robust library itself, thanks to a few highly regarded titles and a good collection of good, if not quite as excellent, titles."

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool

^^  Agreed on every level there Alex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.