Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Now im not sure whether to get the DS or not...

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

Okay guys so some of you know I am planning to get a DSi XL when it comes out here in Australia but im having second thoughts.

The original came out Nov. 21, 2004 that over 5 years ago, Nintendo are sure to come out with the second one very soon.

What games do I have to look forward too? sure I have a great back title of games such as The World Ends with you, Elite Beat Agents, Pheonix Wright but what games can I be hyped for to come out in the future?

I cant believe I am posting this, yesterday I was hyped about the XL but now I am unsure >_<

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Need a list of future games? Look no further. Its close to the bottom of the OP. 
    I should add the new 5th generation of pokemon that they announced a few weeks ago. 

We're talking an Okami sequel, an rpg animated by Studio Ghibli (big deal) AND MUTHER FUCKIN GOLDEN SUN DS!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

If you are really worried, just wait till E3 to make your decision. 

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yukoei
    @AgentJ: Okami sequal? O____O WHEN IN THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN!? 

Sold.

But to be honest that does look like a pretty impressive list (much better than the PSPs) but how long will my DSi XL will last (in terms of no major/quality releases)?
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By danielkempster

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about the future of the DS. From your posting history on these forums, you've established yourself as a pretty big fan of JRPGs. The DS has one of the largest back catalogues of JRPGs that I can think of. Final Fantasies III and IV, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Dragon Quests IV and V (with VI on its way), Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver, multiple Atlus releases such as Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and Knights in the Nightmare, and as you mentioned, The World Ends With You. If you're willing to downgrade to a standard DS Lite, its GBA slot will expand the possibilities even further. And that's just JRPGs - there are tons of awesome games from other genres in the DS's library too. With so many games available to you right off the bat, I don't think the immediate future of the system should be a concern.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @Yukoei said:
    " @AgentJ: Okami sequal? O____O WHEN IN THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN!? 

Sold.  But to be honest that does look like a pretty impressive list (much better than the PSPs) but how long will my DSi XL will last (in terms of no major/quality releases)? "
    I guess I don't understand the question. How long will it be until something good comes out?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yukoei
    @AgentJ: Sorry for not explaining myself, I havent had much sleep ^_^

I was asking how long until no major or quality releases will come out on the DS.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
    @Yukoei said:
    " @AgentJ: Sorry for not explaining myself, I havent had much sleep ^_^  I was asking how long until no major or quality releases will come out on the DS. "
    I'd say at least through the end of the year. We don't know much about Nintendo's plans beyond 2010, which is part of why these DS2 at E3 rumors have become so prevalent. I don't think its necessarily a horrible idea to wait until E3 and see if the new machine (if it is shown off at the show) will be backwards compatible, but there's a pretty valuable two months between now and E3 that you could be using to pound your way through the library. I'll probably be picking up an XL regardless of what happens, but thats just because I probably wouldn't be able to wait until 2011 to play Shantae: Risky's Revenge.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yukoei
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @AgentJ: Sorry for not explaining myself, I havent had much sleep ^_^  I was asking how long until no major or quality releases will come out on the DS. "
    I'd say at least through the end of the year. We don't know much about Nintendo's plans beyond 2010, which is part of why these DS2 at E3 rumors have become so prevalent. I don't think its necessarily a horrible idea to wait until E3 and see if the new machine (if it is shown off at the show) will be backwards compatible, but there's a pretty valuable two months between now and E3 that you could be using to pound your way through the library. I'll probably be picking up an XL regardless of what happens, but thats just because I probably wouldn't be able to wait until 2011 to play Shantae: Risky's Revenge. "
    Holy shit, only until the end of the year? is it really worth spending $350 AUD on something for only one year?

And why would Nintendo be coming out with a new DSi now if they had a new DS(2) coming out soon?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    @Yukoei said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    I'd say at least through the end of the year. We don't know much about Nintendo's plans beyond 2010, which is part of why these DS2 at E3 rumors have become so prevalent. I don't think its necessarily a horrible idea to wait until E3 and see if the new machine (if it is shown off at the show) will be backwards compatible, but there's a pretty valuable two months between now and E3 that you could be using to pound your way through the library. I'll probably be picking up an XL regardless of what happens, but thats just because I probably wouldn't be able to wait until 2011 to play Shantae: Risky's Revenge. "
    Holy shit, only until the end of the year? is it really worth spending $350 AUD on something for only one year?  And why would Nintendo be coming out with a new DSi now if they had a new DS(2) coming out soon? "
    Because the next one might not be backwards compatible for one thing. If I had to gamble on it I'd say it probably will be, but thats the chance one takes. Like I said, you can always wait to find out.  It's not really only for one year though; There's 6 years worth of software for the device, and each of those years have been better than for most consoles.
    The DSi XL is mostly for older people who won't be concerned with a new DS anyway. It came out last year in Japan.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool

Yukoei, the DS has definitely peaked.  There will be some excellent games (as stated by Agent J) over the rest of this year, and I would think some more into 2011, but that will be it.  I say the DSi XL is worth getting (as your first) simply because of a game list longer than you can play.  There are many older and great games available on the used market as well as new.   Wit games like all the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and countless other RPGs to pick from, you could stop there and not play games like Mario Kart or NSMB and still be happy. 

I say it is worth it.  It is debatable about the XL, as you cold save over $150 and just get a regular Lite, but I think once you play on the screens of the XL, you will never look back.  I say go with it  even though a new DS will likely be announced at E3 and released by year end (or early next year).  The new system will take a while to hit its straps, so you could easily wait a year and get one when it has the games you want.  One note of caution to that is that assuming the new DS is backwards compatible, it may have seemed better to wait for a new one, but we can't know that.  It may be better to wait for E3 and see if Nintendo make the big announcement.  I expect that the DS will be like the PS2 and will run alongside the new DS for several years, but with more and more "kids" games, like the PS2 has become.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Steve_C
    @Yukoei: It's really more of an okami downgrade from the looks of it. I have no expectations for that game. 

The question is why haven't you got a DS already. Everyone NEEDS one. You could probably do with just a lite though. It'll be cheaper too and less of an investment if you're worried about a DS 2. oldschool is right about the future games for it, but it already has a huge library of awesome.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

All the next DS coming out would mean is the DS lite would go down in price. You'd still have a backlog of close to a hundred quality DS games to comb through. You'll get your money's worth.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool: Dude, that sucks =(
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Godwind
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yukoei
    callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By callumbay

I can't think of many games coming out in the future except Okamiden and Golden Sun DS, but there's a huge amount of games that game out in the past that are worth getting. Especially if you like RPGs, there's loads.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Meowayne

Whatever happened to Ni No Kuni, anyway?
     I haven't heard anything from this game since I played the demo several months ago.  Shouldn't it be out by now?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Yukoei: 

Weren't you the one that kept saying " But the DS is still better than the Wii?" "
    Yes ^_^ I was just exited to get a DS :P "
    From a game point of view, the DS is way better than the Wii, but it is also way better than the 360 and PS3 as well.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Godwind
    @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Yukoei: 

Weren't you the one that kept saying " But the DS is still better than the Wii?" "
    From a game point of view, the DS is way better than the Wii, but it is also way better than the 360 and PS3 as well. "
    But he doesn't even own one.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By samcotts

I bought a DSi XL last week and been loving it. 

And who can say no when you get 1000 free DSiWare points with it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    @Godwind said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Yukoei: 

From a game point of view, the DS is way better than the Wii, but it is also way better than the 360 and PS3 as well. "
    But he doesn't even own one. "
    But he should.  Everyone should  :-)
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @oldschool said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Yukoei: 

But he should.  Everyone should  :-) "
    Man I thought that everyone has a DS. How can you live without a DS?
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Ace829

Right now the DS is the current king of JRPGs. I say get it if you are a fan of the genre.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Godwind
    @oldschool said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " @Yukoei: 

But he should.  Everyone should  :-) "
    But he thinks its the best without owning one.  That is what I call bizarre.  Otherwise, I still agree with him.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool

So, Nintendo 3DS is coming out, but when, at what cost and is it BC?  I am still getting a DSi XL myself, as it will be a long way off for the 3DS and some good games to go with it, plus the expected high cost.  So Yukoei, feel better after your rant?  I did warn you of the possibility, but it has become news quicker than I expected.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgentJ

Now that we actually have come concrete information, and now that it's looking like Nintendo is releasing yet another DS spinoff instead of a truly new platform (which it might still be), I would probably say wait on the XL, at least until E3. in the meantime, try to pick up a cheap lite. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.