Piano peripheral for the DS/DS Lite - not DSi.

#1 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -
  Namco Bandai releases Easy Piano DS and piano peripheral  

Easy Piano is now tinkling

When Nintendo bought out the DSi and removed the GBA slot as a standard feature of the DS, we assumed the time of bonkers peripherals - such as 
Activision's Guitar Herofretboard or Nintendo's and  Ubisoft's pedometer - was over.

Apparently not. Namco Bandai has just released Easy Piano, a piano tutorial game that has an 8-note full octave keyboard peripheral that plugs into the DS/DS Lite's GBA slot.

Sorry DSi owners. Not one for you.

However, with tens of millions of the older hardware still in circulation, there should be plenty of takers for Easy Piano.

To help you make your way in the world of ebony and ivory, you can work through various tutorials, while 30 tracks are included with the game, ranging from Mozart and Beethoven to pop classics and Jingle Bells.

In keeping with its digital nature, you don't even have to end up listening to piano notes, as you can switch the outputted sounds to the guitar or other instruments.

Finally there's also a creation mode lets you record up to three 3-minute masterpieces of your own.

What to see how it works? Check out the video.

Looks like a lot of fun to me.  My daughter is quite good at the piano and might find this to be a good application and maybe just as a toy.  Any takers?
#2 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Sounds interesting but not something I would buy unless I was getting it for my sister. She would be into that.

#3 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@oldschool:  
  Looks unnecessary to me but if it gets kids interested in classic music and learning how to  play a music instrument then why not. 

Off Topic - How are you man? Is there any new development with you and the shit your spouse (and all you guys) been going through?    
#4 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

Interesting. Not something I, personally, would buy, but still pretty cool nonetheless. Wonder if this will help spark some interest in classical music in children.

#5 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @oldschool:    Looks unnecessary to me but if it gets kids interested in classic music and learning how to  play a music instrument then why not.  Off Topic - How are you man? Is there any new development with you and the shit your spouse (and all you guys) been going through?     "
Anything that encourages enjoyment in music is always a good thing.  It might have some limited fun at home, but the piano/keyboard will always be the first choice.  But, in the car or out and about, it would be very useful. 

Off-topic:  it may be better I address that back in my blog.  Maybe tomorrow.  Thanks for asking.
#6 Posted by guiseppe (2841 posts) -

Nice, if it works with KORG DS10, Awesome. Awesome to the max.

#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@guiseppe said:
" Nice, if it works with KORG DS10, Awesome. Awesome to the max. "
I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.  I don't think it does though, which is sad.  Sad to the max  :-(
#8 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I'm a piano player myself and this looks really cool. However, this game seems to be rather largely based around basic tutorials for piano which is not something I really need and I can also see myself getting inevitably disappointed with the limited size of the piano peripheral. I think I'd be better off getting KORG DS10, but I think this looks like a great little game and peripheral for people who are just starting out with the piano.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.