The Decisive Quality DS List

#1 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Version 2.1 
For a similar list focusing on PS3 games, click here. 
For a similar list focusing on PSP games, click here.
For a similar list focusing on Wii games, click here.
Have 30, 20, or even 10 bucks just burning a hole in your pocket? Looking for a fantastic portable game to kill some time? Look no further than this list! I will update this list regularly, especially after big releases
Currently Available Must-Haves= Games that would feel at home in any collection regardless of genre preferences (* = personal recommendation)
Second-Tier Awesomeness= Games that may require love of their genre, but are still worthy of any collection (* = personal recommendation)
Niche Titles= Games that have gotten little recognition but still enjoy a high level of quality (* = personal recommendation)
Upcoming Titles= The wishlist of any handheld gamer (* = looks especially good)
Wishful Thinking= Games that may never reach American/European/Austrailian shores (* = looks especially good)

Currently Available Must-Haves:

1. The World Ends With You*

2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow* / Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin / Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia*

3. Mario Kart DS
4. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney* / Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney: Justice for All* / Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations*

6. New Super Mario Bros*
7. Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver / Diamond / Pearl / Platinum*

8. Professor Layton and the Curious Village / Professor Layton and the Diabolical box

9.  Advance Wars: Dual Strike / Advance Wars: Days of Ruin*

10. Jump Ultimate Stars*  

Second-Tier Awesomeness:   

Might and Magic:   

Contra 4

Elite Beat Agents 

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 

Niche Titles: 

Knights in the Knightmare

Trauma Center:   

Final Fantasy III 

Lock's Quest 

Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja 

Luminous Arc 

Animal Crossing:    

Cop: The Recruit

DSI Ware Must-Haves:

Mighty Flip Champs 
 Flipnote Studio

Shantae: Risky's Revenge initial art

Bomberman Blitz

Upcoming Titles: 

Golden Sun DS
Ni no Kuni: The Another World 

Okamiden

Wishful Thinking: 
Tales of Hearts 

Most Wanted:

Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Metroid Dread

Non-Game Games: 
Korg DS-10

I am actively looking for suggestions with this list. If you feel a game isn't in the right list, or if you have a formatting suggestion, I'll take it to heart and make changes as soon as possible. Next version will be sorted in order, either of how good the game is or alphabetical. Your choice.
#2 Edited by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Duder, no love for us Final Fantasy Tacticians?

Edited to provide this sweet link to the Final Fantasy game I'm referring to.

#3 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I haven't played it, but Henry Hatsworth looks pretty cool. I'd put it in second-tier

#4 Edited by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

Hotel Dusk should be added to the Must-Have list. Enthralling game with great characters.

Edit: No idea if I'm blind or if you added it to the list after this post. If it's the former, then I need better glasses.

#5 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
End_Boss said:
Duder, no love for us Final Fantasy Tacticians?Edited to provide this sweet link to the Final Fantasy game I'm referring ... [more]
Added!
CoolDrMoney said:
I haven't played it, but Henry Hatsworth looks pretty cool. I'd put it in second-tier [more]
Added! (Niche Games)
#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

What about Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin to go with the other two up top? Good list though.

#7 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
Hotel Dusk should be added to the Must-Have list. Enthralling game with great characters.Edit: No idea if I'm blind or ... [more]
It was already on the third-tier
JJWeatherman said:
What about Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin to go with the other two up top? Good list though. [more]
Hrm, how did I miss PoR? I was consiering adding it to the second tier since i didn't find it as good as Dawn and Order, but I suppose I should just add it to the other two.
#8 Edited by thegoldencat7 (1501 posts) -

What about Catz!
#9 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
AgentJ said:
End_Boss said: Duder, no love for us Final Fantasy Tacticians?Edited to provide this sweet link to the Final Fantasy game ... [more]
Second tier, eh?

Good, good...

#10 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
End_Boss said:
AgentJ said: End_Boss said: Duder, no love for us Final Fantasy Tacticians?Edited to provide this sweet link to the Final ... [more]
Yeah, even though it's my least favorite SRPG, the quality is undeniable.
#11 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

List incomplete.

Where is Civilisation Revolution?

Where is Harvest Moon & Rune Factory?

Where is Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright?

Where is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days?

Lift your game.  I will return in a few days.  Off to the airport.  Look after the place and lock up on your way out  :-)
#12 Posted by JackiJinx (3091 posts) -

My Japanese Coach nor My French Coach are NOT good non-games. They just aren't.

#13 Edited by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
oldschool said:
List incomplete.Where is Civilisation Revolution?Where is Harvest Moon & Rune Factory?Where is Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright?Where is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days?Lift ... [more]
Phoenix Wright Is already on there.

I dont know much about Civilization. how egregious is its absence?

I'll add Harvest Moon and Rune Factory

Ill add Kingdom Hearts

Have fun!
#14 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
JackiJinx said:
My Japanese Coach nor My French Coach are NOT good non-games. They just aren't.
I dont know about the french coach, but My Japanese Coach helped IMMENSELY before my trip to Japan, especially when trying to learn the characters.
#15 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
AgentJ said:
oldschool said: List incomplete.Where is Civilisation Revolution?Where is Harvest Moon & Rune Factory?Where is Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright?Where is Kingdom Hearts ... [more]
Civilisation Revolution is AWESOME because I said so, and so did many reviewers.  Totally egrarious  :-)

Now I see Phoenix Wright  :-(

Add Platinum to the Pokemon entry.
#16 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
oldschool said:
AgentJ said: oldschool said: List incomplete.Where is Civilisation Revolution?Where is Harvest Moon & Rune Factory?Where is Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright?Where is ... [more]
Done. Anyone know of any more upcoming games that should be on the upcoming list? How about DSIware games?
#17 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
#18 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
oldschool said:
AgentJ said: oldschool said: AgentJ said: oldschool said: List incomplete.Where is Civilisation Revolution?Where is Harvest Moon & Rune Factory?Where is ... [more]
That reminds me, I dont have Dragon Quest IV or V on the list. Where do you think they belong? I'm thinking Niche
#19 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
@AgentJ: Good call on the Dragon Quest, though just barely. And it's good that you're objective enough to recognize when a game is good despite your not liking it. Props, duder.
#20 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
End_Boss said:
@AgentJ: Good call on the Dragon Quest, though just barely. And it's good that you're objective enough to recognize when ... [more]
Took me 29 minutes to think of a non-douchy response to that

Thanks! I think I've always been able to appreciate a game based on quality rather than judging on first impressions or personal biases (which I most certainly have. I dont do well with most first person games, but I recognize that a lot of people like Elder Scrolls for a reason.
#21 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
AgentJ said:
End_Boss said: @AgentJ: Good call on the Dragon Quest, though just barely. And it's good that you're objective enough to ... [more]
I really don't know how to take that.
#22 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
End_Boss said:
AgentJ said: End_Boss said: @AgentJ: Good call on the Dragon Quest, though just barely. And it's good that you're objective ... [more]
You should take it as a thank you for the compliment
#23 Posted by ADDTasty (109 posts) -

As far as Kingdom Hears goes... the game doesn't even have an official release date, so I don't think anyone can say decisively that it's a quality game. Unless I'm missing something and making myself look like an ass, lol.

#24 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
ADDTasty said:
As far as Kingdom Hears goes... the game doesn't even have an official release date, so I don't think anyone ... [more]
Well we can't say for sure on any of the "upcoming titles", but Kingdom Hearts is most certainly high-profile, as are the rest of the games on that particular list. I'd say its pretty much a sure thing that it will be worthy of at least the Niche list, even though I haven't played the previous games in the series.
#25 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
AgentJ said:
ADDTasty said: As far as Kingdom Hears goes... the game doesn't even have an official release date, so I don't ... [more]
I agree.  Any significant upcoming game is a candidate.  There is little reason to believe that it won't be a quality game worthy of any fan's library.
#26 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -

I couldnt get into advanced wars for some reason.  Rhythm heaven should definitely be moved to the top tier list.   I'm really looking forward to Phantasy Star Zero, Infinite Space, and the next Professor Layton titles.

#27 Posted by Ravey (330 posts) -

Soul Bubbles is a pretty good 'niche' game, one of my favourites on the DS anyway.

#28 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
SpinCookie said:
I couldnt get into advanced wars for some reason.  Rhythm heaven should definitely be moved to the top tier list.   ... [more]
I would class Advance Wars as niche because it is kind of like chess, as most turn-based strategy games are.  I love it - a lot, but I can see why it doesn't have a massive broad appeal.  Give it another try - once you 'get it' it gets you, in a good way.
#29 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -
oldschool said:
SpinCookie said: I couldnt get into advanced wars for some reason.  Rhythm heaven should definitely be moved to the top ... [more]
Yeah I love strategy games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, Disgaea, I dunno something about the Advanced Wars style of Strategy just wasn't my thing.
#30 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
SpinCookie said:
oldschool said: SpinCookie said: I couldnt get into advanced wars for some reason.  Rhythm heaven should definitely be moved to ... [more]
Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem were the best strategy games, along with Advance Wars, for me on the GBA.  I really love the characters in FF.  I loved the story in FE, as well as the characters.  In Advance Wars, I just loved the way it played as the animation was fairly rudimentary, but still okay.

Was it the units you couldn't get into?
#31 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
oldschool said:
AgentJ said: ADDTasty said: As far as Kingdom Hears goes... the game doesn't even have an official release date, so ... [more]
Exactly. Its more about letting people know which one they should be looking forward to. If the game ends up sucking, I can always take it off the list
#32 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -
oldschool said:
SpinCookie said: oldschool said: SpinCookie said: I couldnt get into advanced wars for some reason.  Rhythm heaven should definitely be ... [more]
Yeah I guess I didn't like the units it didn't feel personal.  I like Jeanne d'Arc so much because I really cared about the characters, Advanced wars was more like an RTS to me where they were just expendable units.
#33 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
SpinCookie said:
oldschool said: SpinCookie said: oldschool said: SpinCookie said: I couldnt get into advanced wars for some reason.  Rhythm heaven should ... [more]
You'd probably love fire emblem. Plays much the same except you have actual characters, and when they die, they dont come back ever
#34 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -
AgentJ said:
SpinCookie said: oldschool said: SpinCookie said: oldschool said: SpinCookie said: I couldnt get into advanced wars for some reason.  Rhythm ... [more]
Yeah I'm getting Fire Emblem off a friend, he has to mail it to me still, I can't wait
#35 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I'd put Warioware Myself as noteworthy upcoming title.

#36 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
CoolDrMoney said:
I'd put Warioware Myself as noteworthy upcoming title.
And I would agree  :-)

Warioware games are always a blast.
#37 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
oldschool said:
CoolDrMoney said: I'd put Warioware Myself as noteworthy upcoming title. And I would agree :-)Warioware games are always a blast. [more]
Thats DSiware right?
#38 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

I would argue that FF XII: Revenant Wings doesn't deserve to be on any list with the word "quality" in the title.  Nice to see the Professor Layton and the Phoenix Wright games on there, though.  Those are both good stuff.

#39 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

I think that more people need to get Meteos.  I think it is a fantastic puzzle game that is fun and has style.  I'm pretty sure this game is like only $20 used now.  Do yourself a favor and buy this game.

Kick Ass Puzzle Game

#40 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
CountRockula said:
I would argue that FF XII: Revenant Wings doesn't deserve to be on any list with the word "quality" in ... [more]
......... and I would argue that you should shut the hell up ..........   :-)  (joke)

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is an awesome game.  It is the most fun I have had on a handheld Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  I am currently 44% into the game and it is completely occupting my game time (except to try Tales of Hearts).  It reviewed well, so I think it is just you  :-)
#41 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
AgentJ said:
oldschool said: CoolDrMoney said: I'd put Warioware Myself as noteworthy upcoming title. And I would agree :-)Warioware games are always ... [more]
DS regular I believe.
#42 Posted by DrRandle (1206 posts) -

Just throwing it out there, that new game on DSiWare, PiCTOBiTS. That game is mad-awesome.

Also: Band Brothers is another "Wishful thinking"

Hey, we just had Starfy announced, so that looks awesome. And Canvas Curse should really be in that top tier, it's a phenomonal game. Chrono Trigger a "second-tier?" One of the best RPG's of all time and you're not putting it higher? Come onnn...

Also: Big Bang Mini, now there's a frakkin' great niche title. and only 20 bucks!

#43 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -
oldschool said:
CountRockula said: I would argue that FF XII: Revenant Wings doesn't deserve to be on any list with the word ... [more]
If you're enjoying it, I suppose that's good for you then.  I was a big fan of FF XII, which is at least part of why I really dislike this one.  Even if they hadn't completely torn out everything I loved about the first game, though, there are just so many little things about that game's interface that are maddening.  I got about 80% of the way through that game before giving up.  Most of the time, if I get that far in a game I'll go ahead and muscle my way through it, just because I'm so close.  I just couldn't bring myself to do that with Revenant Wings.
#44 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
CountRockula said:
oldschool said: CountRockula said: I would argue that FF XII: Revenant Wings doesn't deserve to be on any list with ... [more]
I'll get back to you if I make it to 80%.

I have a history of never completing games, so don't wait up  :-)

I t reminds me a lot of Heroes Of Mana and not everyone liked that either.  Me, I loved it - characters, game play and wacky humour.
#45 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

updated

#46 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
AgentJ said:
updated
I have 7/10 of the must have list.  That makes me cool right  :-)

Plus I have 11/19 of the 2nd tier games.  

Other than Castlevania and Contra, I could easily add the rest of them.
#47 Posted by Steve_C (1757 posts) -

Big Bang Mini seemed to get a lot of critical love, though i haven't played it myself. Seems like a niche title.

Your list is missing 'Ace Attorney Adventures: Miles Edgeworth' in the upcoming titles.

#48 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
oldschool said:
AgentJ said: updated I have 7/10 of the must have list. That makes me cool right :-)Plus I have 11/19 ... [more]
That does make you pretty damn cool. Im ten for ten on the first tier and 15 of 19 through the second
#49 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
AgentJ said:
oldschool said: AgentJ said: updated I have 7/10 of the must have list. That makes me cool right :-)Plus I ... [more]
Hah - you made that list based on your collection  :-)

I call bias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#50 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12123 posts) -

I kind of agree with everything on your list. Congratulations!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.