Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

The Pokemon Series Was Due To End With Gold/Silver

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

The Pokemon Company President, Tsunekazu Ishihara, has been speaking about the series with Nintendo In the latest "Iwata Asks" feature on the official Nintendo site:  

"I worked with the assumption that after we put out Gold and Silver, my work as far as Pokémon was concerned would be done, I didn't intend to make any more Pokémon titles. I even thought that once we entered the twenty-first century, it would be time for me to do something else entirely. 

I remember that when Gold and Silver were released, I felt like a burden had finally been lifted from my shoulders. We'd had our sights set on the finish line of Gold and Silver for so long, and now that we'd finally completed the major series running right through from Red and Blue, I felt I could say to Tajiri-san: "I've fulfilled my duty!" 

Once we'd released Gold and Silver and it was selling even faster than Red and Green, I couldn't very well get off the ride halfway through saying: "Nice work everyone. Good luck from here on in!" 

-Tsunekazu Ishihara 

No Caption Provided
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

I love you. You and these crazy japanese posts that I would not otherwise see.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

Well, thankfully they didn't.  All those millions sold say that people want them.  I am sure to pick up both the remakes as I have every main Pokemon game made and are not about to stop.  Still, it is about time for a revolution of sorts on how the game is made.  Time for some new ideas.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By Soap
    @oldschool said:
    " Well, thankfully they didn't.  All those millions sold say that people want them.  I am sure to pick up both the remakes as I have every main Pokemon game made and are not about to stop.  Still, it is about time for a revolution of sorts on how the game is made.  Time for some new ideas. "
    Pokémon MMO.

It will never happen, but it should.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob

Funny, you can tell really. Gold/Silver was the last good game in the series.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By NukeSpoon

Personally, would like to see a 3D RPG sort of thing with a great deal more control over one's actions rather than just selecting from a menu.

Perhaps even taking direct control over Pokemon themselves (movement etc.)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

If they had ended with Gold/Silver, that'd be going out on a hell of a high. They're probably among the best handheld games of all-time. But of course it made business sense to keep making games, so they did. I just wish they hadn't removed so many Pokemon from G/S and R/B/Y. Maybe that's just my nostalgia talking, but I haven't connected with the most recent Pokemon games, and I think the selection of Pokemon has a lot to do with it.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By insouciant
    @Soap said: 

Pokémon MMO. 

lol.  That would be funny if it did happen.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @NukeSpoon said:
    1. " Personally, would like to see a 3D RPG sort of thing with a great deal more control over one's actions rather than just selecting from a menu.  

2. Perhaps even taking direct control over Pokemon themselves (movement etc.) "
    1. Pokémon Colosseum-esque?
    2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?  Pokémon Rumble?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @Soap said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " Well, thankfully they didn't.  All those millions sold say that people want them.  I am sure to pick up both the remakes as I have every main Pokemon game made and are not about to stop.  Still, it is about time for a revolution of sorts on how the game is made.  Time for some new ideas. "
    Pokémon MMO.  It will never happen, but it should. "
    A fully realised MMO for the next gen (after the Wii) wouldn't be a bad idea and could work.  As for the handheld, perhaps with a newer, more powerful handheld, we could see a proper world where we could all visit together.  It should be possible.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " Funny, you can tell really. Gold/Silver was the last good game in the series. "
    I disagree with that-Gold/Silver was the best game in the series-the other main Pokemon games weren't bad.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " Funny, you can tell really. Gold/Silver was the last good game in the series. "
    I disagree with that-Gold/Silver was the best game in the series-the other main Pokemon games weren't bad. "
    Maybe it's because you guys aren't little kids anymore and have been exposed to this repetitive gameplay more than once.  Those who've never explored it before enjoy it, and that's why Pokemon sells.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Bones8677

I KNEW they were phoning it in after Gold and Silver!!!

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shinri

I sort of wish it had, because Pokemon is fast becoming an overdone joke. As much as I like the games, they need to do new things with the name.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @dbz1995 said:

" @MysteriousBob said:
    I disagree with that-Gold/Silver was the best game in the series-the other main Pokemon games weren't bad. "
    Maybe it's because you guys aren't little kids anymore and have been exposed to this repetitive gameplay more than once.  Those who've never explored it before enjoy it, and that's why Pokemon sells. "
    I've been playing Pokemon since the beginning, and I'm far from tired of the "repetitive" gameplay. Much like Castlevania, Pokemon is one of those series that always adds enough to feel somewhat fresh, while keeping enough to feel familiar(and a little bit nostalgic).
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Icemael said:
    " I've been playing Pokemon since the beginning, and I'm far from tired of the "repetitive" gameplay. Much like Castlevania, Pokemon is one of those series that always adds enough to feel somewhat fresh, while keeping enough to feel familiar(and a little bit nostalgic). "
    I'm referring more to those who claim the handheld Pokemon games are no longer good/fun.  Mostly, they claim they don't like it because of the bad Pokemon designs (which I don't agree with), but it could also be because of the cyclical nature of the titles, which I personally have no problems with.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Icemael
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " I've been playing Pokemon since the beginning, and I'm far from tired of the "repetitive" gameplay. Much like Castlevania, Pokemon is one of those series that always adds enough to feel somewhat fresh, while keeping enough to feel familiar(and a little bit nostalgic). "
    I'm referring more to those who claim the handheld Pokemon games are no longer good/fun.  Mostly, they claim they don't like it because of the bad Pokemon designs (which I don't agree with), but it could also be because of the cyclical nature of the titles, which I personally have no problems with. "
    Well... I'm inclined to agree with them on the Pokemon designs. Don't get me wrong, the Diamond/Pearl roster has a few gems, but most of it's just junk. The legendaries are especially terrible.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Icemael said:
    " Well... I'm inclined to agree with them on the Pokemon designs. Don't get me wrong, the Diamond/Pearl roster has a few gems, but most of it's just junk. The legendaries are especially terrible. "
    I'll agree, concerning the legendary Pokemon (except for a few like Arceus, Darkrai and Cresselia).  But I slightly disagree with that sentiment with the rest of them.  Sure, they're not as identifiable or unique as the first or 2nd generations, but I still find them good enough (especially the starter ones).  And I enjoy the fact that they actually acknowledge my favorite Pokemon type: Ghost (there are only 18 Ghost type Pokemon, 8 of which are in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl).
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Kyreo
    @insouciant said:
    " @Soap said: 

Pokémon MMO. 

lol.  That would be funny if it did happen. "
    It'd be amazing.  That's what it'd be!!
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tebbit

I'm really holding out for Pokemon Aluminium and Copper-Sulfate 

in which they finally allow you to breed yourself with your Pokemon, making 9-armed monstrosities.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Whisperkill

And that was the exact point that Pokemon became incredibly stupid.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By halberdierv2

explains why GSC had a tough feeling that this does not, maybe its the change of times, but HGSS really looks very.... wimpy. the way how the characters were draw in the original somewhat screamed "cool". these guys, look like wimps.

TinaWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TinaWood

That explains a lot.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow. As someone that has played Pokemon games since I was a kid this comes as a bit of a revelation to me, imagine if they had just stopped at the second generation of games.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

I read that.  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they did stop at Gold and Silver.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By JoelTGM

Wow that's a lot of games that I will never play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.