Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Tips on repairing DS Lite trigger?

HibikiRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By HibikiRush

Has anyone repaired their DS Lite trigger?  I'm looking for recommendations on how to fix mine.  It keeps not responding, however when I blow on the trigger it seems like the dust or whatever is inside clears up and it'll work for a couple hours or so, but then the problem comes back. 

I've read that people pop it out with screwdrivers and then just use compressed air, do the triggers actually pop out without any damage?  Or would it be best to unscrew the back of the DS and do that method?  Any advice is appreciated.    
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo
    @HibikiRush:   dude I had the same problem.... but I just recently switched to the DSi.  I never figured out how to fix it....   

I'd go with the unscrewing part or.... applying some type of grease to the inside of it.... 

Hope you get it figured out.... lemme know if you need anything else
    rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rubsnick

Wrap your mouth around the Trigger and blow.... it will work keep in mind this is just a temp fix... (Don't just blow like you stated) this works for days.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By macandcheese
    @HibikiRush: No the triggers will not pop out without damage unless you take apart the DS. Unfortuantly for you the DS needs a Tri Wing screwdriver to open. You can get the screwdrivers for a couple bucks online.
    the DS itself is pretty easy to take apart and the triggers use a spring type mechanism that pushes them up which is why they have resistance. If you get the screwdriver the DS itself is pretty easy to take apart and put back together, you should be able to clean out any debris that are near the triggers.
    Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Yit
    @HibikiRush:   
    First off, welcome to the site, blah blah, all that.
     It just so happens, I encountered this exact same problem not a week ago. Here's what I did:

The blowing only worked for so long, and I finally broke down and bought a new switch for the trigger. 
    I then opened my DS Lite up with my trusty tri-wing screwdriver and this handy guide.
    I managed to wick off the surface-mounted switch, solder the new one in, and got it working good as new.

I must warn you, this is a delicate process. If you are not familiar with soldering / working with electronics, I strongly suggest you pick up a new DS entirely.

Yes, it's a bummer, but electronics sometimes crap out like this. Good luck, and have fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.