Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

What annoys and irritates you about the Nintendo DS?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I love my Nintendo DS, have no doubt.  For me, it IS THE best console ever made.  Not just because of what it does, but for the superb library.

However.

There are 2 things that really irritate me about the DS.

One:  Save files.
    It is the constant source of real anger for me.  Why the frell is there only one save file in many of the games?  Pokemon is an obvious one.  It means that only one person can play the game and when finished, can't save their hard work if someone else plays it - deleting the save file.  The World Ends With You is another that irritates me for that reason.  

Harvest Moon fares slightly better, it has two.  That means my two daughters get to play it - not me.  The rest get three, but why do they need a limit to begin with?  Well, the answer is obvious and it isn't cart space.  It is about 'encouraging' families to buy multiple copies for their children.  I hate that.

Simple answer to solve the problem.
    The orginal DS and DS Lite have a GBA slot.  You could have a Micro SD card in a GBA cart adapter and save as many files on it as you want.  Not real hard and definitely not rocket science.

The DSi has an SD card slot.  Just save the files on that.  Sheeesh, it is only a minor softare tweek.

It is the one and only thing the PSP has over the DS.  Sony did it, why not Nintendo?

Two: Region Coding
    Yep, the DS is region free?  No, actually it isn't, or should I say, when connected to the Wii it isn't.

I work hard on my Animal Crossing Wild World game.  I buy Animal Crossing for the Wii. I go to transfer my work to the Wii and - nothing.  My DS game is NTSC and the Wii game is PAL.  

That is just plain stupid.

Who cares where the game comes from, they all should still talk to each other, no matter what.

So that is what really pissed me off about the DS and they are major ones for me, but the save files is massive.  It only encourages m to get an R4 card and go around it.  It isn't like I want to do anything illegal, just get what I paid for.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

I dont have anything. I can see why the point you raise would be an issue but no one really plays with my DS  or DS games other then me and I never hook mine up to the Wii. Problem solved.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Systech

It only has two screens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

For me, I'd like a method for me to either hook the thing up to a television or record in direct feed. Dual screens don't help. This is just a feature I'd like to see in the future though.

Region locking annoys the hell out of me since Nintendo's really late with Australia's release dates. So I'm not getting a DSi until they start disallowing previous models from playing games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

It is about 'encouraging' families to buy multiple copies for their children.  I hate that.

It pisses me off too. Developers see the ploy as a good way  to make further revenue...

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Sooperspy

The lack of many new great titles im looking forward to in '09

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    c1337us said:
    I dont have anything. I can see why the point you raise would be an issue but no one really ... [more]
    But even if you want to have multiple saves, you can't.  What if you play the game through a few times, but for some nerdy and OCD reason (yeah, now I am talking about myself xP), you can't.

Kowbrainz said:
    For me, I'd like a method for me to either hook the thing up to a television or record in ... [more]
    But region locking doesn't directly affect any retail games and there is no plan for it to do so.  It is just region locked for download games.  All DS games play on every DS.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I was fairly sure that the DSi was going to region lock retail games like the Wii; I remember when I last went into EB the staff had started asking customers which version of the DS they had to make sure games from Europe and the US (I'm in Aus)  would work iirc.

If not, fair enough, but that still annoys me with the Wii. I haven't updated the firmware since early '08 because I don't want my freeloader and US copy of Brawl to stop working on me.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By weltal

Games that require frequent switching between Dpad and stylus.

Also the majority of the games released on the handheld. Personal trainer and Petz shit.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    Kowbrainz said:
    I was fairly sure that the DSi was going to region lock retail games like the Wii; I remember when ... [more]
    Unless someone comes in and says otherwise, no region lock for retail games on the DS, including the DSi.

I agree on the Wii thing though (off topic).  I have a Freeloader that does not work and I can't play my Japanese games.  It went with Animal Crossing.  In retrospect, I should have imported Animal Crossing Wii and it would have worked with my DS games, whilst still running my freeloader.  I have a Canadian Wii (NTSC) for my importing, so I don't miss games and can get them very early, in the case of games like Harvest Moon (Rune Factory).
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By c1337us
    oldschool said:
    c1337us said: I dont have anything. I can see why the point you raise would be an issue but no ... [more]
    Yeh I havent come across that OCD problem yet either though I suffer from the same condition. The only game I have played through and started again on a seperate save game is Professor Layton and from memory that one allows you three. But when I run into the same issue I have no doubt I'll be complaining about it too XD
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gruff182

The only thing that annoys me is the fact it's made by Nintendo and I actually like it.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marzy

The only aspect of the DS that has annoyed me slightly is the D-Pad on the DS Lite. Making your character go in diagonal directions can be a problem sometimes, especially on Animal Crossing: Wild World.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

My DS being broken annoys and irritates me.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

Game prices. I consistently see new DS games that I'd like to buy, but then I look at the price and they're always too much. Call me shallow but I could spend £30 on a new DS game or £35 on a new PS3 game. And I'll always pick the latter.

I just feel I get more value for my money spending the £5 extra on PS3; no matter how good the DS game is. Even if I shop around and get a DS game for £22 -- it's still too much.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    get2sammyb said:
    Game prices. I consistently see new DS games that I'd like to buy, but then I look at the price ... [more]
    £30 is the same price we pay for a DS game in Australia and I agree that I won't buy a game at that price.  At £22, I would buy a top level game.  £35 for  a PS3 game would be a cheap game though.  I imagine the full price for a PS3 game in the UK would be about £50.  It really depends on the game doesn't it?
    Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Dovey

The fact that the DS has a range called "Touch Generation", annoys me.  I don't wanna be apart of some "Touch Generation", sounds wrong.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb
    oldschool said:
    get2sammyb said: Game prices. I consistently see new DS games that I'd like to buy, but then I look at ... [more]
    If I go into a store, new PS3 releases in the UK are £35-£40. No matter what the game. I can maybe get it for £33 if I shop around online. Of course, it does vary VERY slightly, but those are the prices you are looking at.

A new DS release in a store is £29.99, maybe £25 if I shop around online.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By toowalrus

It's taking too long for them to start their GB virtual console...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb
    TooWalrus said:
    It's taking too long for them to start their GB virtual console...
    I have to agree - that has to happen soon. Reckon it will be at E3? It's basically easy money for Nintendo.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    Linkyshinks said:
     It is about 'encouraging' families to buy multiple copies for their children.  I hate that.It pisses me off too. Developers ... [more]
    Whilst no-one should be shocked that they would want to get us to buy as many games as possible, that doesn't make it right.  If you have 3 children and a game has one save file, you would be better off not buying the game at all as it is a recipe for sibling fights.  Trouble is, they never say it on the box - One Save File.  Unless you are intuitive enough to know what they do - it is too late and only buying another copy will stop an argument.

Considering the number of families that have a DS, it is a well exploited BUT extremely annoying ploy.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yea, that's the problem. If they simply displayed that information on the packaging I would have no complaints. Gamers can then make an informed decision to buy, or not to buy.. It's a reoccurring disappointment to load a game and find there is not ample save slots.

Families are definitely being exploited, companies must be well aware of the stats that showing at least two people on average use any DS.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool

Unfortunately, without being forced to do so by government regulation, no company will let you know about a negative aspect of their products.  It would be like Kelloggs stating that their Corn Flakes or Rice Bubbles are virtually unedible without heaps of sugar.  Not going to happen.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZeroCast

It's not something that really  irritates me about the DS Lite, but the lack of  WPA-PSK support is something i didn't expect to see in this handheld console, however i heard the DSi is using it now, which is a good thing.

Also, i beileve the One Save File issue depends on the developers themselves whether they want the user to load from Multiple save files or not, you have recent games like Rhythm Heaven and ChinaTown Wars that use Multiple save slots and old ones like New Super Mario Brothers, however when you look at Pokemon, like you said, it looks as if it was made for only one player and that is something i would love to see changed in the new Heart Gold/ Soul Silver games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
    ZeroCast said:
    It's not something that really  irritates me about the DS Lite, but the lack of  WPA-PSK support is something i ... [more]
    Every Pokemon game I know, including the offshoot ones, have all been single save files. so I wouldn't hld my breath.

One game I am really concerned about with the single save file is Dragon Quest IX.  If that has one save file, I may really spit it.  Dragon Quest Monsters Joker had a single save file, as did Rocket Slime.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Red
    oldschool said:
    ZeroCast said: It's not something that really  irritates me about the DS Lite, but the lack of  WPA-PSK support is ... [more]
    If you had two save files in Pokemon, you could cheat incredibly easily.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    oldschool said: ZeroCast said: It's not something that really  irritates me about the DS Lite, but the lack of  WPA-PSK ... [more]
    I am sure I will go d'oh when you explain that, but how?  You can't play 2 save files at the same time.  Educate me on your cheating ways grasshopper  :-)
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Red
    oldschool said:
    Red said: oldschool said: ZeroCast said: It's not something that really  irritates me about the DS Lite, but the lack ... [more]
    Simple: you save over two files. You trade a pokemon to your friend. You turn off you game and go into your other save. Your friend has the pokemon you just traded him, and so do you.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    oldschool said: Red said: oldschool said: ZeroCast said: It's not something that really  irritates me about the DS Lite, but ... [more]
    I pretty much do that with the multiple games.  Now I have Platinum, I will start with a Pokemon, play it until the first save for trading purposes, trade it to my daughter's game.  I will do that again and then start the game with all 3 main Pokemon.  I have done that since the first games.  Although, in the GB and GBC ones, I used the clone cheat  :-)

Not really a reason to stop it though, as it isn't really a cheat.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Red
    oldschool said:
    Red said: oldschool said: Red said: oldschool said: ZeroCast said: It's not something that really  irritates me about the DS ... [more]
    That's not quite what I'm talking about. 

You have a save file with a level 100 Gyrados.
    You have another empty save file.
    You save over that empty save file.
    You now have two save files with a level 100 Gyrados.
    You trade your gyrados over to your friend.
    Your friend has a level 100 gyrados.
    You turn off your game.
    You reload your game, but this time you use the save file that you didn't trade with.
    Now you and your friend both have the exact same level 100 gyrados.
    Ta-da! You just duplicated a pokemon!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

Cheater.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    oldschool said: Red said: oldschool said: Red said: oldschool said: ZeroCast said: It's not something that really  irritates me about ... [more]
    Oh, I do see what you mean.  Still, there are many ways to cheat if a person really wants to, so this isn't a big deal.  If I was getting a character from another person, I would want it as low a number as possible so as to enjoy my work.  Real gamers think the same.  Just because of that still isn't a valid reason for one save file.

I understand an R4 card could get around it anyway.
    gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By gormers

I love my DS.

The only thing I hate is that my screen is pretty scratched up.
    I can understand why you are mad for the stuff you say, but its not such a big deal IMO.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#34  Edited By Vinchenzo

What annoys me? That I can't love it as much as a console. I bought the DSi when it came out and probably only logged about twenty hours. If that much.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oldschool
    Vinchenzo said:
    What annoys me? That I can't love it as much as a console. I bought the DSi when it came ... [more]
    You just haven't found the right game yet.  Just because it is a DSi doesn't make it more playable than the DS Lite.  FInd a good game - it isn't hard  :-)
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#36  Edited By Vinchenzo
    oldschool said:
    Vinchenzo said: What annoys me? That I can't love it as much as a console. I bought the DSi when ... [more]
    I'm playing FF Tactics A2 at the moment. It's alright but I never actually want to go and play it. Only if I'm extremely bored. Hopefully I do find that kind of game you speak of. Not saying Tactics is bad, of course.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond

Personally, I don't like the touch screen.  It's opened up the door for a handful of game concepts, but otherwise I don't like how it works, I don't like the inconvenience it brings to games when developers tack it on.  I don't like worrying about damaging the lower screen...

Froy544

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Froy544
    Red said:
    oldschool said: Red said: oldschool said: Red said: oldschool said: ZeroCast said: It's not something that really  irritates me about ... [more]

they could make it where you have to choose a save slot at the begining and every time you save after that it automatically does it without you choosing which slot to save in
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By TheHBK

Well for one, I hate that there are so many of these kids or teaching games on it, that are super crappy, riddled with them like the Wii.
    Second, games prices dont go down unless the game sucks balls.  Remember when Gameboy games used to go down in price just like normal game systems?  Even the PSP does that.  Part of the problem is that no new great games are coming out, and when they do, they bomb out like GTA.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oldschool
    TheHBK said:
    Well for one, I hate that there are so many of these kids or teaching games on it, that are ... [more]
    I understand your point about the crappy games and the multitude of them.  I don't really have a problem that they exist - they make a profit and their is a market for them.  However, what I don't like is that they sell so well, that they are the ones promoted mostly by the department stores and I want the good games to be promoted (so I can get them cheaper).

As for price reductions, Nintendo have always been bad at this.  Why the hell don't they have a "classics" range?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By oldschool
    TheHBK said:
    Well for one, I hate that there are so many of these kids or teaching games on it, that are ... [more]
    I understand your point about the crappy games and the multitude of them.  I don't really have a problem that they exist - they make a profit and their is a market for them.  However, what I don't like is that they sell so well, that they are the ones promoted mostly by the department stores and I want the good games to be promoted (so I can get them cheaper).

As for price reductions, Nintendo have always been bad at this.  Why the hell don't they have a "classics" range?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.